Sign in to follow this  
al mcguire

36 Years Ago Today, Steve Jobs Unveiled the First Macintosh

I got one of these "Miracle Machines"  the year after they came out.  I traded an old IBM clone PC I had built to a writer that wanted to 

have a machine he could get work done on.   After I set up the Mac I discovered why.   It came with Microsoft Word

on Floppy disk.  I tried to use it, but since the machine had no Hard drive and only one Floppy drive,  it required

over 21 floppy disk swaps in order to open a single word document.  (I counted them)  After 15 disk swaps I was ready to throw the little portable machine out the window.  I had Atari and Commodore and IBM PCs that only had floppy drives (no hard disks) and they only required one disk swap to create or open a word processor file. 

I was seduced (having worked on all the Apple roll-out films) and bought a Mac around this time.  After experiences like Courtney's, I went back and spent almost the cost of the computer on a (get ready) 500 MB hard disk.  That made the Mac usable in its advertised fashion more or less.  I'm glad my eyes were better then--that screen was REALLY small!

4 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

spent almost the cost of the computer on a (get ready) 500 MB hard disk

Are you sure you are remembering this accurately, Phillip?

I recall buying a hard drive for my Mac Pro about that time, or maybe slightly later. I paid about $560 for 20 (just twenty) megabytes.

David

3 hours ago, David Waelder said:

Are you sure you are remembering this accurately, Phillip?

I recall buying a hard drive for my Mac Pro about that time, or maybe slightly later. I paid about $560 for 20 (just twenty) megabytes.

David

You are probably right--at that time a 500 MB drive would have been very expensive, and apps were very small.