Zaxcom QRX200. What's the point of having 4 Channels receiver?

GIGI

Hi all,

I have a quick question about Zaxcom QRX200 Wide Band 4-Channel ENG Receiver.

• - Why this needs to be 4-Channel?
  • - What's the point of having 4 Channels receiver when you can only receive from 2 transmitters?
  • - Plus, what's the value of having up 4-channel? 

At first I thought this can receive up to four transmitters but it's actually not..

On 1/24/2020 at 7:52 PM, GIGI said:

Hi all,

I have a quick question about Zaxcom QRX200 Wide Band 4-Channel ENG Receiver.

• - Why this needs to be 4-Channel?
  • - What's the point of having 4 Channels receiver when you can only receive from 2 transmitters?
  • - Plus, what's the value of having up 4-channel? 

At first I thought this can receive up to four transmitters but it's actually not..

Two stereo transmitters, like the TRX743 with a Schoeps Super C-Mit attached (You have one channel unprocessed and the other processed)

On 1/24/2020 at 3:53 PM, Mattias Larsen said:

You can recieve two stereofeeds, ie two ms booms.

Sorry what's ms?

On 1/24/2020 at 6:07 PM, osa said:

In past times where i would use a qrx on 4 channel cameras i would stereo feed at 1/2 and have main talent feed 3 as a backup in case they roll without me. That was always helpful in those situations. 

-Ken

What's stereo feed?

And what do you mean by stereo feed at 1/2 and have main talent feed 3? 

You mean sub out 1/2? I normally use Zoom F8 or Sound Devices 633 and I don't see any feed 3?

On 1/26/2020 at 10:37 AM, ramallo said:

Two stereo transmitters, like the TRX743 with a Schoeps Super C-Mit attached (You have one channel unprocessed and the other processed)

Why do you need a Schoeps Super C-Mit when you can receive it only with TRX743 from Boom mic? Thanks!

1 minute ago, Chris Woodcock said:

Are you bring serious with these questions? 

Yes.. sorry if I sound stupid

I'm very new to all this and location sound and I would really like to learn more... 

Thank you...

2 minutes ago, GIGI said:

Why do you need a Schoeps Super C-Mit when you can receive it only with TRX743 from Boom mic? Thanks!

Yes.. sorry if I sound stupid

I'm very new to all this and location sound and I would really like to learn more... 

Thank you...

I think you need to go learn some basics of sound recording before you start looking at advanced kit like Zaxcom products.

1 minute ago, Chris Woodcock said:

I think you need to go learn some basics of sound recording before you start looking at advanced kit like Zaxcom products.

What's the best way to learn the basics of sound recording? Any recommendations/books/lectures?

3 hours ago, GIGI said:

Sorry what's ms?

What's stereo feed?

And what do you mean by stereo feed at 1/2 and have main talent feed 3? 

You mean sub out 1/2? I normally use Zoom F8 or Sound Devices 633 and I don't see any feed 3?

Hope this helps clarify - Regardless of what mixer you have, generally when you are using a Camera link transmitter you are sending a stereo feed to the camera. This can also be a mono feed. That would equate to channels one and two at the camera. On the QRX 235, channels one and two would be your stereo feed feeding the camera wirelessly from your mixer.  In my particular example, channel 3 at the QRX 235 would be set to receiving direct from the main talents transmitter as a back up. Channel 3 from the qrx 235 would be cabled to the camera accordingly (sometimes through camera mic input etc).  If that camera person runs off with the main talent and cover something without me it is a reliable back up for the Editor’s. To the best of my knowledge are there any receivers out there today that can duplicate this? It’s a very sophisticated feature nonetheless granted I get what you were saying it is not truly 4x independent channels. Still quite flexible for all kinds of setups as mentioned by others

-Ken

3 hours ago, GIGI said:

Sorry what's ms?

Mid/Side Stereo, just google it. Lots of info out there. 

3 hours ago, GIGI said:

What's stereo feed?

You're joking?

It's a (camera) feed. 
That is stereo.

3 hours ago, GIGI said:

What's the best way to learn the basics of sound recording? Any recommendations/books/lectures?

https://www.amazon.com/Location-Sound-Bible-Record-Professional/dp/1615931201

https://www.amazon.com/Producing-Great-Sound-Film-Video/dp/0415722071/

https://www.videomantis.com/courses/

https://www.youtube.com/SoundSpeeding

3 hours ago, GIGI said:

Yes, sub out 1 would be your third output being used after your two main outputs.

9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, sub out 1 would be your third output being used after your two main outputs.

^pertaining to the op question and my suggested use this unfortunately would not be correct. No output 3 from mixer, just your stereo out to camera link transmitter. The output 3 is the qrx235 receiver mounted to the camera

@osa, sh*t, I totally misread that, just focused on his comment not the context. My bad! And yes, that's a really nice setup, to take directly the main talent's feed for output 3 so it doesn't even matter what your mixer is doing at any point in time, still got "something" there being feed to the camera. 

Yes it is 4 channels for 2 transmitters. Which may seem strange at first. But it can be incredibly helpful.

Realistically speaking most of the time I only use 2 out of 4 of the channels (usually for two mono lavaliers), however I use an extra channel or two in these situations:

- Stereo Boom

- M/S Boom

- A direct stereo feed from a mixing board

- Two lavaliers plugged into 1 transmitter

- Getting a stereo mix from another sound mixer on a large production

Most of the time you won't use all 4 channels, but Zaxcom gives you the flexibility to use it if you want.

It's important to note though that their 2 channel receiver (RX200) is only compatible with a single transmitter, so I only bought one to use as a 2 channel receiver with 2 transmitters.

19 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Mid/Side Stereo, just google it. Lots of info out there. 

You're joking?

It's a (camera) feed. 
That is stereo.

https://www.amazon.com/Location-Sound-Bible-Record-Professional/dp/1615931201

https://www.amazon.com/Producing-Great-Sound-Film-Video/dp/0415722071/

https://www.videomantis.com/courses/

https://www.youtube.com/SoundSpeeding

OMG thank you so much! I will study more. Thank you.. if you know any other good materials to study more about the basics of audio please let me know..!

18 hours ago, ivanovich said:

GIGI, google is your friend

Thanks man.. I'll google everything

8 hours ago, sciproductions said:

Yes it is 4 channels for 2 transmitters. Which may seem strange at first. But it can be incredibly helpful.

Realistically speaking most of the time I only use 2 out of 4 of the channels (usually for two mono lavaliers), however I use an extra channel or two in these situations:

- Stereo Boom

- M/S Boom

- A direct stereo feed from a mixing board

- Two lavaliers plugged into 1 transmitter

- Getting a stereo mix from another sound mixer on a large production

Most of the time you won't use all 4 channels, but Zaxcom gives you the flexibility to use it if you want.

It's important to note though that their 2 channel receiver (RX200) is only compatible with a single transmitter, so I only bought one to use as a 2 channel receiver with 2 transmitters.

OMG got it!! That was very helpful. I'll dig into more about very options that you mentioned. Thank you so much!!

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate that Zaxcom has started to normalize their naming convention.

[Transmitters received] [A number] [Output channels]

so the MRX 214, receives up to 2 transmitters and outputs 4 channels of audio, a 414 is 4 receivers, and 4 output channels.

which means the QRX 200 is really more of a QRX 204, and the URX 100 should be a URX 112, but I digress...