Sound Devices CL-16 announced

henrimic

52 minutes ago, daniel said:

but I don't think the XL-AES accessory was a response to people saying it was crazy for a recorder in 2019/20 to have so few AES I/Ps. 

I believe that’s exactly why they brought it out. Otherwise I‘m sure they wouldn’t have put it in such an awkward place. They were surprised that so many people wanted AES inputs. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I'm probably coming across as raging angry, when that couldn't be further from the truth! I'm merely logically and calmly disappointed over how Sound Devices is treating this)

Yes. Calmly... 

Anyway, here are a couple of thoughts about this, even if you don’t believe in a CL-10. I don’t either, but who knows?

I don’t understand how you can be so upset about this (even bothering people in the Facebook Cantar group who really wouldn’t care about this), feeling neglected by SD, yet at the same time you list two examples how SD changed their mind about how possible it actually was to e.g. bring the CL-12 to the 8-series. Or is this your way trying to get SD to do this again? If so, might I suggest you sound a little bit less whiny about it?

I think your sense of entitlement only comes from the fact that SD have done what you ask before, i.e. bring the CL-12 to more than one recorder, 688 & 633, and later 8-series. 

When the CL-9 was released I can’t remember a single voice asking for this to be made available on the 744, as well. 
That fact of the matter remains: they said CL-16 on 833 isn‘t available. I‘m pretty sure the „yet“ is implied

6 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I believe that’s exactly why they brought it out. Otherwise I‘m sure they wouldn’t have put it in such an awkward place. They were surprised that so many people wanted AES inputs. 

I agree to disagree with you there. Almost every serious RX on the market has AES out - including their own A10s. The "awkward place" (awkward shape) is deliberate and SD's response to the (very nearly) Zaxcom wireless only Nova - and understandable. The previous generation of recorders allowed users to mix and match brands as per taste and circumstances - those days are all but done for the US kit makers. The 'barnacle' doesn't quite lock non Superslot user out, but almost. I believe this will become more clear when SL2 is released.

4 hours ago, daniel said:

I agree to disagree with you there. Almost every serious RX on the market has AES out - including their own A10s. The "awkward place" (awkward shape) is deliberate and SD's response to the (very nearly) Zaxcom wireless only Nova - and understandable. The previous generation of recorders allowed users to mix and match brands as per taste and circumstances - those days are all but done for the US kit makers. The 'barnacle' doesn't quite lock non Superslot user out, but almost. I believe this will become more clear when SL2 is released.

all that you say is a good reason why they came up with the SuperSlot and subsequently the SL-2. That is the part that could potentially lock other (non-superslot, but not just) manufacturers out. The XL-AES invites them back in. Their own receivers do have AES out, but they also have Dante out via the a10 rack, and my guess is they wanted people to use that with the wireless 

I know slot receivers might have limitations due to having to be standardized in size etc however I find it nice that with SuperSlot, you have quite a lot of options from various manufacturers to work with and if you choose at some point to switch brands, you can still use your superslot accessories (SL2/SL6 etc) without having to purchase an entirely new ecosystem of things.  SD + Zaxcom wireless user?  Then great, get the VERY affordably priced AES addon and go capture those 0's and 1's per usual.

Yes the 833 might not get the new great control surface however at least you can use darn near any controller that uses the MCU protocol.  I am mostly a bag guy these days but at least I have the option to use my existing MCU Pro surface and/or a variety of other smaller, more compact surfaces out there if need be.  I haven't upgraded to the 833 yet from my workhouse 633 but I can confidently say that the 633 has been worth its weight in gold over the years and I'm sure the 833 will be too.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Derek H said:

But then you have to use Wisy transmitters. So no not really. I just don’t think there’s a better bodypack transmitter than the Lectro SM yet. 

IIRC MCR-42 does recieve SMb in compatibility mode.

Do you have any indication, that this mystical QuadRX will not have this feature?

17 hours ago, RPSharman said:

Anyone else very excited about Scorpio/SL3 with a set of Wisy quad receivers? Pair this with CL12 and you've got a compact rig. 

I'm excited about Wisy Quads. I'm still with a 633 and in an either/or situation with 833 vs Wisy Quad I think the latter would be more useful for me right now. Not least as 633/Wisy Quad would be a lighter bag than an 833/SL2/2 x dual RX bag. Scorpio/SL3/Wisy Quads would certainly be a compact 12 RX rig. With all the functionality of the Scorpio wouldn't you want the screen of the CL16 to enjoy a squint free screen experience (despite the extra size, weight, power and $)? Although a tablet will get round most of that I guess?

10 hours ago, DanieldH said:

IIRC MCR-42 does recieve SMb in compatibility mode.

Do you have any indication, that this mystical QuadRX will not have this feature?

Yeah but you have to use sennheiser emulation on both the wisy and the lectro so you're not able to use Lectro transmitters with their full digital hybrid mode sound quality. No thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch. I knew it was going to be expensive, but that is even more than I guessed it would be.

We all assumed it would be cheaper than an Aaton Cantaress, perhaps even significantly cheaper. Nope! Sound Devices is going for Aaton level pricing.

Technically, Sound Devices is now even *MORE EXPENSIVE* for this than Aaton! Never would have dreamed of this in a million years.

I guess in the near future this will be a rental only option for me, still good to have that option available. 

16 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Ouch. I knew it was going to be expensive, but that is even more than I guessed it would be.

We all assumed it would be cheaper than an Aaton Cantaress, perhaps even significantly cheaper. Nope! Sound Devices is going for Aaton level pricing.

Technically, Sound Devices is now even *MORE EXPENSIVE* for this than Aaton! Never would have dreamed of this in a million years.

I guess in the near future this will be a rental only option for me, still good to have that option available. 

That Sonosax is looking pretty nice right about now.

I believe now amongst the various manufactures the price points have come much closer together than in past years.  Yes feature sets differ, but the end is we are all benefiting.  

After many years in the Cooper/Sound Devices camp I jumped to Cantar in 2017.  Is it perfect, no, features keep rolling out just like the other manufactures.  For me it pushes some of the buttons in what I want in a recorder/mixer.

Bottom line is if you buy a Cantar, Sound Devices, Zaxcom, Sonosax or Nagra, you have a first rate product that will do the job