Nova 128gb cf cards

osa

from when i first received my nova i had been using transcend 128gb cards as my primary and 32gb cards as my mirror. a primary internal hard drive of sorts. just recently i started getting "no primary drive" error messages on startup even though the cards seemed to work fine and supported in the manual. 2x 128gb cards on hand both reformatted still say "no primary drive". had a 64gb Delkin which i know is not recommended but left over from sound devices recorders. it formatted fine and eliminated the message. I just ordered a sandisk 64gb CF to test officially. Has anyone else experienced any similar issues? my gut feeling is 128gb is too much card at least for my particular unit. would like to try a sandisk 128gb card if anyone else is having success.

-Ken

current cards: Transcend 800x 120mb/s udma7 128gb

Edited by osa
Current card info

I just got the Nova about two weeks ago. When it first arrived I didn't have any CF cards that were the recommended size, so I used some  Sandisc Extreme Pro 256GB that I have and use with one of my cameras. I installed two of them for the Primary and Mirror slots and started using them. In the meantime I ordered some more 'normal' sized audio cards in the 32GB-64GB vicinity but have not installed them. Still running the 256's with no problems. 

At first I did record tests using 6-tracks and recording at different intervals. I let it go for 20mins, then another take for 40mins, then 60mins, and then 1.5 hrs. There were no issues so I figured they're ok running it. Then I went on a job where we had one take that was 3.5hrs with 8 tracks and it went by very smoothly. No issues whatsoever.

When I did first format the primary card it told me it was going to be 30 minutes which I thought was insane. This is my first Zaxcom recorder and all of my other recorders format cards pretty quickly. After it finished it was fine. The mirror card formats much quicker.

I kinda like the bigger cards. No issues yet.

1 hour ago, howy said:

Some people are having a problem with certain 128GB cards showing up. I bought a Sandisk extreme 128G (120MB/second UDMA7) card and it works fine. I need to get hold of a card that does not work so I can see what is happening.

hey howy i will gladly send you one of these transcends to support the cause. I am switching to sandisk for now and staying with 64gb will get a larger size down the road since it seems others are having success

On 1/28/2020 at 3:48 PM, Jason Todd said:

Sandisk words fine. It's Transcend Cards that are problematic.

Interesting. Both of my Transcend 128GBs are working fine in my Nova. I probably will upgrade to Sandisk 256GBs eventuall just to have more space in my "internal drive".

2 hours ago, Ze Frias said:

Interesting. Both of my Transcend 128GBs are working fine in my Nova. I probably will upgrade to Sandisk 256GBs eventuall just to have more space in my "internal drive".

curious if your are 800x 120mb/s udma7 like mine? Hopefully howy has his hands on mine and might help determine something good or bad. So far sandisk has been solid in my machine

5 hours ago, osa said:

curious if your are 800x 120mb/s udma7 like mine? Hopefully howy has his hands on mine and might help determine something good or bad. So far sandisk has been solid in my machine

They are the 800x versions, which I think were the lowest speed they would do at that capacity at the time.

19 hours ago, Prahlad Strickland said:

Hows the mirror speeds on the Nova,  is it painfully slow like Maxx and Nomad?,  on movies I was never able to mirror in time for scene switches,  had to hook them up with zaxconvert,  the DIT's never liked it,  but got used to it. Hoping the Nova is practical with this 

It continuously mirrors in real time. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2020 at 9:34 PM, harwhit said:

Anecdotal but I have had mirror aborted show up on long rolls in reality multiple times in the last few weeks. When I switch back to continuous it can sometimes get to 88% and then abort again. Running 2.03  

What cards were you using?

• 1 month later...