Rode NT-SF1 extension cable

Allen Rowand

I've got a gig coming up where I'm going to use my NT-SF1 to record a music performance in surround and want to get some more distance between the mic and my bag. I reached out to Rode technical support and they were kind enough to give me the mic pinout, which is on a Neutrik 10 pin XLR. Much easier than beeping out the breakout cable :)

I got my box o' parts from Redco today. 10 pin XLRs and a hunk of TGS-04:

IMG_20200126_140904.jpg

Done an hour later, checked out fine. Not the most difficult connectors I've worked on but took some planning to figure out the best connection order.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200126151526366.jpg

Tested perfectly with the mic, now I have a nice 25' extension!

IMG_20200126_160257.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello! I'm looking to do something similar but making a short, flexible extension cable for isolation/relief when using the NT-FS1 with a blimp. Do you happen to know if you can combine the ground pins 9 and 10 so all mics are using the same ground? Would that cause problems for some reason? If not, I'm thinking I might be able to find a lower gauge, more flexible cable. (I've also been thinking about the idea of using shielded CAT6 turnarounds which might allow using shielded ethernet cables as an extension, but that also depends on the question of sharing a common ground on all mics. (Obviously that'd be less heavy duty than what you've made here!)

3 hours ago, BPBaker said:

Hello! I'm looking to do something similar but making a short, flexible extension cable for isolation/relief when using the NT-FS1 with a blimp. Do you happen to know if you can combine the ground pins 9 and 10 so all mics are using the same ground? Would that cause problems for some reason? If not, I'm thinking I might be able to find a lower gauge, more flexible cable. (I've also been thinking about the idea of using shielded CAT6 turnarounds which might allow using shielded ethernet cables as an extension, but that also depends on the question of sharing a common ground on all mics. (Obviously that'd be less heavy duty than what you've made here!)

I don't know, but I recommend reaching out to Rode support. They're extremely helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

Went through the same thing in early 2020, but unlike you I just settled for having to extend with four XLR cables!
I think Rode should make an extension available rather than palming us off with pin outs on an obscure connector.

Although it would not be profitable, they nevertheless have the resources, and could do it for good old fashioned customer service, couldn't they?

9 hours ago, pindrop said:

Went through the same thing in early 2020, but unlike you I just settled for having to extend with four XLR cables!
I think Rode should make an extension available rather than palming us off with pin outs on an obscure connector.

Although it would not be profitable, they nevertheless have the resources, and could do it for good old fashioned customer service, couldn't they?

Good old fashioned customer service?? Not profitable??

Lost my NT-SF1 breakout cable (along with others), called Rode, $249 plus $22 shipping, granted I live 10 miles from them.

Its $30 in parts!! Made in Taiwan..

A certain custom cable company offered to make one for $95!! Neutrik, and Mogami, same as theirs.

Forgot to mention Rode does not have a cable stocked anywhere in the world!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add, Chris at Redco made me a beautiful 15 foot NT-SF1 breakout cable for $95

Using Redco TGS 4, and Neutrik XX XLRs, color coded boots, and channel labelling to match the Rode cable.

Techflex on the fantails.

It looks as if it was factory made by Rode!!

These old hands would have had a hard time with a 10 pin XLR.

Thank you Allen for the pinout sheet!!