DIY power for the cart

Scott Montgomery

DCB3E702-738E-46D3-A668-3395762211EA.jpegi’ve built this 12volt power distribution box for my cart, so for I’ve got power coming direct from the battery(lead acid sealed) direct to the 4pin xlr’s with a on/off switch, now everything seems to running ok. But I’m wondering what components I’ve should have in there regards to short circuits, clean power etc.

As I say it’s a very basic design but I don’t seem to have any problem with noise etc.

But anyone can help point me in the right direction for adding the right components would be a great help. I’m ok with a soldering iron as I make all my own cable etc. 

If the box you have pictured here is only for distribution, I do not think any other components should be required. I'm not sure why you need switches (I would imagine each device receiving power from this distribution box would have it's own power switch). It would be quite typical to have included some fuse or fuses (or circuit breakers) for added protection in case of short circuit. You actually could have used circuit breakers that also serve as switches (this is what I did with all of my cart power supplies). Regarding your mention of "clean power" I am not well versed in any of the circuits that some people have employed to condition the DC coming from your main battery  ---  I also have never found the need for such things (and I have my doubts about the units that do employ these circuits). Usually when there is noise or interference it is coming from the interconnection scheme (the various devices connected, ground loops, various voltage regulator problems, etc.  ---  things which will not be solved with added circuits in the distribution box).

W23-X1A1G-10.jpg

2 hours ago, Derek H said:

Jeff, have you ever incorporated voltage regulators into your power supplies for items that need to stay under 14V? (Comtek transmitters for example, according to Keith pulley don’t like high voltage)

You can use a relatively inexpensive LDO 12v regulator, There's a small voltage drop from the input voltage, but above 12.5-13ish volts it'll hold at 12v (which is fine for the 16.8 volts of a lithium battery off a charger)
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Microchip-Technology-Micrel/MIC29300-12WT?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsGz1a6aV8DcP%2B6ey5cUOYkns8EB2YLuv8%3D

2 hours ago, Derek H said:

Jeff, have you ever incorporated voltage regulators into your power supplies for items that need to stay under 14V? (Comtek transmitters for example, according to Keith pulley don’t like high voltage)

For the majority of my cart power supplies I have used LiFe nominal 12 volt batteries that even when fully charged do not supply over 14 volts or so. My cart power supplies have generally incorporated an AC to DC regulated power supply that when connected to AC provides  a regulated 13.5 vdc that powers the load and keeps the battery topped off. I also made sure I understood the powering schemes utilized in all of the gear connected to my cart power supply  ---  understanding the specification of each piece of equipment in terms of its power supply, acceptable voltage range and regulation.