19ms Delay with wireless Mic kit.....?

JeffWWaldrop

So, I am new folks to sound capture, processing, etc.  I recently purchased a Deity connect 2.4 GHZ wireless transmitter / reciever kit to run sound thru to a Zoom F8n and out to my Dig SLR so sound track can be supplied to video in camera.

How do you account for the 19ms delay that is created by the "wireless" method?  Is it as simple as delaying the track in the computer?  It use a Mac with Final Cut Pro....

Am I making any sense?  Just want the lips to match the soundtrack...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

19ms is approx half of one frame which is quite small in the whole scheme of things.

Assuming the delay is as quoted - 19ms - then you should either delay the video by this amount or move audio forward my this amount.

Delaying the audio in FCP will double the delay.

I'm really not sure you'll be able to spot a 19ms delay with lip sync but do the above and you should be fine.

7 minutes ago, Soundwil said:

Hi Jeff,

19ms is approx half of one frame which is quite small in the whole scheme of things.

Assuming the delay is as quoted - 19ms - then you should either delay the video by this amount or move audio forward my this amount.

Delaying the audio in FCP will double the delay.

I'm really not sure you'll be able to spot a 19ms delay with lip sync but do the above and you should be fine.

Yes Sir, I understand what you are saying..... now.

Thanks,  I will try that.  I may be worried about something that I can even see yet.....  I will report back...

Jeff W Waldrop

South Louisiana, USA

19ms is not good but won't really be visible at first glance. It's the same as the sound travelling 6.5 meters through the air.

But there shouldn't be more delay added in post which may happen through mixing consoles, AD/DA, samplerate conversion and "real"time processors for dynamics, loudness correction etc.

There are two semi pro wireless systems with 19ms on the market: Deity Connect and Sennheiser AVX.

Like others have mention, it is not a big deal. Is like if you stood 6.5m away from a person, does it both you that what your eyes see with their lips moving doesn't match exactly with the slightly delayed audio you here? Nope. 

But if you're really finding it to be a nuisance, then add in a delay in your recorder for all your other sources so that they're all equally delayed by the same amount: 19ms

https://wavreport.com/2020/01/30/review-deity-connect-hd-tx/

Say that you have a hard lined boom, and then the Deity Connect system.  The lavs will be coming in 19ms after your hard-lined boom.  To solve this issue, you simply add a 19ms input delay to your boom track.  This will cause all of the audio to line up and then Voila!  No phasing.  Personally, having to use my input delays is a small price to pay for never having to scan or choose frequencies.

A 19 ms audio delay is not noticeable in most scenarios, OTOH, if 19 ms was ahead of the picture, it may be.,,something to do with the human brain eye / ear perception. If other mics are involved it usually needs to be addressed. Monitoring even a single mic with the delay can be annoying from live source leakage.

In any case it is easy to fix in just about any DAW.

• 1 year later...