Antenna Cable

Scott Montgomery

Quick question to brains trust, I’m wanting to make a BNC antenna cable to go from my VR Field receiver up (approx) a 3 metre mast to my SNA 600 antenna.

So just wondering what would be the best cable to use for this set up?

I’m currently using a 4 metre cable of Altronic W2230 RG58C/U 50 OHM MIL-C-17, which I’ve a feeling may not be the best.

Thanks guys, look forward to any suggestions.

cheers,

scott

I just did this. I’d say it’s probably more important to have the correct tools for construction than what cable type you use. Meaning make sure you have exactly the right BNC connector set, crimp die, etc. An intermittent or failure prone connection will cause you more trouble. 

That said, I ended up using pretty spendy LMR240-UF which is more or less RG8x with a foil shield bonded to the dielectric (White inner insulation) for better shielding. I wasn’t so much concerned about cable loss from the antenna mast as I was interference inside my cart from the snake pit of patch cables and devices, transmitters etc. I don’t have any evidence this is necessary or that it helps anything but seemed like a good idea to me. 

Belden 9258 (RG8x) seems to be a good choice for carts. I use it for long runs too like 125’ where you’ll be using an active antenna on the end of it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have Canare L-3D2W with Canare BNC(50 ohms) conector for that cable BP-C31. I use  3M for cart   and 12M extensions no active antenas, only passive, Zaxcom. For more than 12M you need use active system.

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=190

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=169