Audioroot Power Distro Power Source Question

ivanovich

Hi all,

I use an Audioroot BDS that has a hirose input. Most of the time I power off of my block battery since I get long run times. There are a lot of times where I would love to tap off of available AC power. What are people using to AC power their Audioroot BDSs?

I was thinking something like this:

https://www.coreswx.com/store.coreswx/product/cube-200/

combined with some sort of UPS or something....

-i

That's overkill for a sound bag, how many watts do you draw on an average day?

If you are already using other smart batteries, you should get one of Inspired Energy's sleds, It won't pass the telemetry along (but it does have bluetooth so you can see the stats on your phone) but it can be tied to a power supply and fail-over to the battery when disconnected.

They also sell them in a rack mount with 5 units

https://secureservercdn.net/45.40.149.34/b0v.cde.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/Our-Battery-Holster-gets-upgraded-with-new-feature.pdf

/\ that's just another battery solution? 

Eversince I switched to Remote Audio's Lifebox I haven't looked back. I use these to power my cart, and often even my bag, when I don't need to be very mobile and have a boom-op. Even when in a studio I always run off these now, no more AC at all. I can hook up two of these to my distro and they easily last a whole day, and I even have two more, so the risk of running out is pretty low. 

Hooking up to AC is way too much hassle for me now, especially if that means getting additional gear.

Shastapete, I should’ve been more specific. This is for cart power, not bag use.

Constantin, I’ll check out RAs Lifebox. I have a block battery that gets me through the day. I have a small simole and compact cart that is not super power hungry but still has a decent power draw. I’m just wondering of a way to use my audio root BDS (since it has a hirose power input) with AC power. I guess I just like to have options just in case.

I’m just wondering if theres any other people out there feeding the audioroot BDS from an AC power source and how they go about it.

Just buy a good quality AC adapter from a reputable company (Meanwell is good) that’s rated for like 5-10A and puts out the voltage you want. Solder on a Hirose to the output cord. Or XLR 4-pin and get the right adapter cable for your distro. 

Or just buy one that’s already terminated for xlr4 or Hirose like from Remote audio or Sound Devices but you’ll pay a lot of mark up for a “sound” product. 

8 hours ago, Constantin said:

/\ that's just another battery solution? 

Eversince I switched to Remote Audio's Lifebox I haven't looked back. I use these to power my cart, and often even my bag, when I don't need to be very mobile and have a boom-op. Even when in a studio I always run off these now, no more AC at all. I can hook up two of these to my distro and they easily last a whole day, and I even have two more, so the risk of running out is pretty low. 

Hooking up to AC is way too much hassle for me now, especially if that means getting additional gear.

They have a built in Charger and pass voltage when plugged in. I recommended it because he also wanted a UPS solution (and if he already invested in the smart battery format, he just needs one or a couple sleds, depending on draw, and he's all set) Still need to run a powersupply to feed the DC input, but this covers the UPS situation

Am I missing something here?

The IDX 2-bay JL-2 charger for NP-1 batteries  is itself a 12-volt power supply. It has a fused AC input and a 4-pin XLR DC output limited, I believe, to 13.2 volts. And, so far as I know, there is no reason it couldn't continue to charge batteries while functioning as your DC power supply.  

You may already have one in your kit.

David

Off the top of my head, I’d say an easy solution would be to get an NP cup terminated for Hirose and an LMC AC cup adapter. I’m sure there are other options but this is what I used for years when I wasn’t using a PSC AC/Battery source. 

11 hours ago, David Waelder said:

Am I missing something here?

The IDX 2-bay JL-2 charger for NP-1 batteries  is itself a 12-volt power supply. It has a fused AC input and a 4-pin XLR DC output limited, I believe, to 13.2 volts. And, so far as I know, there is no reason it couldn't continue to charge batteries while functioning as your DC power supply.  

You may already have one in your kit.

David

+1

Ive done this too and it works perfectly fine. 

Hey all, thanks for all the responses. I do have a bunch of chargers for batteries recorders and such. I’ll give those a try if they have the output amp capacity.

I just wanted to ask before going on an plugging things in and blowing fuses or something. In the end a power supply is a power supply....