What is the best doco / interview boom pole in 2020?

Mark Clarke UK

Boom poles can be a personal decision (like many other things). Do you like the feel of the collars, etc.

I like the PSC elite coiled cable pole. I have a large one and a smaller one that fits inside my Pelican Storm im2950 case for travel. Travel pole is a PSC elite medium internal coiled cable pole.

What I like about the PSC is the XLR can be removed easily with the bottom XLR pole if needed. I don't have the right angle version.

I unscrew the top end of the pole and "detangle" the internal coiled cable somewhat regularly. I have not had any issues where the boom pole can not collapse fully due to funky internal cable issues. 

Edited by Eric
clarify length of travel boom pole

5 hours ago, Eric said:

Boom poles can be a personal decision (like many other things). Do you like the feel of the collars, etc.

I like the PSC elite coiled cable pole. I have a large one and a smaller one that fits inside my Pelican Storm im2950 case for travel. I can't remember what size I have for travel. It might be the medium.

What I like about the PSC is the XLR can be removed easily with the bottom XLR pole if needed. I don't have the right angle version.

I unscrew the top end of the pole and "detangle" the internal coiled cable somewhat regularly. I have not had any issues where the boom pole can not collapse fully due to funky internal cable issues. 

Good points: A tad lighter and quite a bit longer

Not so good point: A good bit longer when collapsed

The PSC do have a right angled XLR version

8 hours ago, Shastapete said:

I really like my VDB small, 50 cm (19.69in) collapsed/ 2.1 m (82.67in) extended. So a little shorter than the K-Tek, but it fits easily into a carry on pelican case

A nice travel pole but for my work I need 9' as a min.

Thanks Dave. I live in the UK and would only buy privately if it were a ridiculously stupid price because you just want it out of the house. I generally buy only from a local dealer "Pinknoise" as they look after me, if there are any issues down the line. I am sure some in the States will jump at the chance to get that pole. All the best.

8 hours ago, daniel said:

VDB worth a look: Quarter turn knuckles feel great. QR tip very cost effective if you need a few. Don't need to solder XLR for internal cable.

My main pole is a VDB L with the internal cable, works great - easy to maintain. You just have to make sure you put some kind of stopper on the top section below the exit point of the cable to avoid it being decapitated.

12 hours ago, evarsimon said:

My main pole is a VDB L with the internal cable, works great - easy to maintain. You just have to make sure you put some kind of stopper on the top section below the exit point of the cable to avoid it being decapitated.

This is true. Originally I put my cable through a very thin ferrule and that's worked well. But recently I modified the QR tip (with a drill and file (instead of the milling machine I don't have) so the cable leaves the end of the tube instead of the side. The tip is long enough to do this and still tighten into place. I was going to send this to VDB and ask if they could make some tips like this.

• 1 month later...

I bought recently the new Vdb L - QT as an all arounder. It is 80 - 384 and only 500grms. A litte smaller when not in use, a bit longer and a bit lighter than similar Ambient, which is usually my favorite. I didn't like the older Vdbs, but this one seems a lot better.

PSC has some great poles too, not very fancy, like more "exotic" brands, but they do the job and they last for ages. Still use a longer one that has quite a history!

I do not like internal. I was using external cable as a booman, and still do not care about internal, neither my boomen. Never had any issues with external cables, and if I had, they were easily swaped!