Sanken Cos11D Problem

sciproductions

Yesterday on set I had a problem with my Sanken Cos11D (3-Pin lemo) where it dropped out completely, then had several static bursts (maybe 5 second intervals) and then stopped for a minute, and then worked for about 5 minutes before repeating the same pattern. Today I tried using this lav, it seemed initally unresponsive, however after fiddling around with it for a couple of minutes it worked for about 2 minutes then dropped out.

Btw I've tried this lav with several different transmitters and same results (I also have other lavs so I know it's not the transmitter).

Is the lav dead? Is there anyways to fix it?

Sounds like the lav is dead.

does the connection come back/static happen when manipulating the connector, at the mic head, or somewhere in the middle?

If it's the connector, that can be replaced and it'll be back to life, if it is in the middle, you can make a shorty lav by re-terminating after the break.

Mic head, you might be SOL. There are a handful of companies that can repair it, but it might just be worth replacing at this point.

It sucks, but lavs are expendables

11 hours ago, Shastapete said:

Sounds like the lav is dead.

does the connection come back/static happen when manipulating the connector, at the mic head, or somewhere in the middle?

If it's the connector, that can be replaced and it'll be back to life, if it is in the middle, you can make a shorty lav by re-terminating after the break.

Mic head, you might be SOL. There are a handful of companies that can repair it, but it might just be worth replacing at this point.

It sucks, but lavs are expendables

Its mostly at the connector, so hopefully that's it!

Cheers mate!

How reliable are COS11s? I purchased a brand new pair and was a bit surprised to find a bunch of the black finish has scratched off after only 6 or 7 days of shooting. I know they have really become sound staples, but I've found them to be a little bit underwhelming all round. 

On 2/4/2020 at 10:43 PM, LDstudios said:

How reliable are COS11s? I purchased a brand new pair and was a bit surprised to find a bunch of the black finish has scratched off after only 6 or 7 days of shooting. I know they have really become sound staples, but I've found them to be a little bit underwhelming all round. 

I have used them for years,  seldom an issue, I have a ton of them...  As for the finish, mine have been good, but I don't use the clips..  who cares, the mikes in my case are always hidden..  If you use the clips, open the clamp before forcing the mic inside the loop.. that should help the scratching issue.. 

Too much grabbing the mic plug at the point of cable /connector will cause failure over time..  Always grab ONLY the mic PLUG!