SD 744T not starting up

Diego

Hi everyone, 

My 744T all of a sudden started not booting up after pressing the power button. Right after turning it on it gives me the message "Powering Down Closing Media".

Has anybody experienced this before? Do you know what could it be? 

I can't take it in for service until next week. Nothing mission critical but I was planning to use it while on a holiday trip. I only have Sony style batteries with me to test it so I'm hoping the batteries failed but that would be very strange that both of them failed at the same time.

Thanks!

I've seen a 744t that only boots via external power (HR10 connector) but works on internal battery after the "jumpstart". You could give that a try.

I've removed the HDD from a 744t once, it was rather easy. In case you want to diagnose the HDD a PATA/IDE contoller is needed. The common USB adapters do not work with smartmontools. 

4 hours ago, Diego said:

I only have Sony style batteries with me to test it so I'm hoping the batteries failed but that would be very strange that both of them failed at the same time.

The battery situation jumps out at me...  Unless you metered the batteries, and they are in fact good, that may be your problem..  Just enough power to partially boot, but not enough for a full boot up. Meter the battery, try EXT power or Use a battery you KNOW is ready to go.. before doing anything drastic..

That turned out to be the problem. At first I only removed the connector and I still had the same issue but once I completely removed the hard drive and connected everything without it, the 744 fortunately started up. 

Thanks everyone for your help!