Vertical Location sound mixer cart

indiefilm

Re: my design for resale cart. So unless I get feedback to the contrary I plan to make my vertical Location sound mixer carts be standard width between c to c of rack rail holes for standard 19” rack mount gear and be 21” clear between the frame in any area where user chooses to not have rack rail. Rack Rail can be added in 4RU increments (approx 7”). Hopefully the people wanting an “open area” will find the 21” clear sufficient to meet their needs. The only completely open area will be on the top.

Feedback wanted...

Mark Pope

Stabilitech

At some point when building the many sound carts I did over my 46 year long career, I did start to provide rack rails as more and more equipment had that mounting routine (in the early days, none of our gear was rackmount stuff). I also wanted interior space to be as wide and clear as possible in those areas where I did not have rack rails but still keep the overall outside dimension (width) to be as slim as possible. I'm pretty sure the last cart wound up the same dimensions that you have stated which kept the cart quite narrow (good to negotiate doorways, etc.) but still provide maximum loading area.

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

If you do this you might consider recessing the rack rails, so the knobs etc of the gear are protected within the body of the cart, and not out in the open in front.

A good thought.

If recessing the rails is difficult, one can get some protection by attaching handles that run vertically on the frame rails. Long drawer pulls are suitable for this.

David

6 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Most of my vertical carts also were 19" width to fit rack-type gear.  If you do this you might consider recessing the rack rails, so the knobs etc of the gear are protected within the body of the cart, and not out in the open in front.

Thx, I was just about to ask that question as to how far to recess. My design might allow the user the choice of recessing the rack rail 11/16” or 1-3/8”. They can even alternate the choice every 4 RUs in case they have some much deeper gear in places that can’t allows the bigger recess but overall prefer the 1-3/8” recess or vice versa. They can also omit the rack rail altogether. The rail sections will be 7” or 4RUs long so open areas can be any dimension high but railed areas need to be increments of 7” (the rails are only 7” long per section). Correction from my previous post, as it stands now it looks like the “open” areas (no rack rail) width will be approx 22.5”, not 21”. Is that way too much?  Of course the top shelf is totally open on the sides so They still have the top “shelf” for an ever wider piece of gear. Everything is usually some sort of compromise in designing for the masses. This design is more customizable than any I have seen, by far.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:45 AM, Jeff Wexler said:

At some point when building the many sound carts I did over my 46 year long career, I did start to provide rack rails as more and more equipment had that mounting routine (in the early days, none of our gear was rackmount stuff). I also wanted interior space to be as wide and clear as possible in those areas where I did not have rack rails but still keep the overall outside dimension (width) to be as slim as possible. I'm pretty sure the last cart wound up the same dimensions that you have stated which kept the cart quite narrow (good to negotiate doorways, etc.) but still provide maximum loading area.

I didn’t know the rack mount gear wasn’t prevalent all along. Interesting. Everything is a trade off re dimensions. Now it looks like the most customizable design I envision will have about a 22.5” width clearance where the user chooses not to have the “rack rails”. I trust that is not way too much? It also increases the stability of the cart, especially outdoors on uneven ground. The rails will be in 4U (7”) lengths and plenty will be provided. Also wondering what if any gear will need to be supported by 4 rack rails instead of cantilevering from just two and what the depth of the deepest gear other than that sitting on top might likely be?

On 2/7/2020 at 9:48 AM, Philip Perkins said:

Most of my vertical carts also were 19" width to fit rack-type gear.  If you do this you might consider recessing the rack rails, so the knobs etc of the gear are protected within the body of the cart, and not out in the open in front.

Roughly How far should I recess the mounts to prevent hitting most all knobs by a removable rigid cover?

Edited by indiefilm

One other feature I really liked on a cart posted (maybe in Carts but probably in DIY) a year or so ago was a removable panel (possibly/potentially magnetic but maybe more secured, although it could be both) in order to protect the equipment, connectors and feel safe all was secure as Philip suggested. I liked the flat panels that the poster came up with (a Cantar cart I believe) but a suitably sturdy fabric & rain cover (assuming the edge extrusion in place for protection) could perhaps do it as some compromise on weight against strength.

Jez

In exchange for significant input via a phone conversation, for the first ten participants we will provide a discount code that when we ship, will entitle them a discount off our MSRP of 10% more than the largest “group buy” discount offered anywhere online in the last two years for any type of carts in the A/V industry (horizontal camera carts or vertical Location Sound Mixer/DIT carts) sold by any of the competitors in our market. I anticipate less than  30 minutes of your time now and maybe 15 minutes down the road. If you are not interested in buying a cart but want to provide input you are also welcome. Message me if interested or email Mark.Pope at StabilitechVideo dot com