Trey LaCroix

Most Effective Way to Use a Softie

I was have a conversation with someone and they were advocating that a Softie style windscreen shouldn't be fully inserted. Supposedly leaving a small air gap at the end will increase the effectiveness. In all of my years of using softies I have always pushes the mic in until it lightly touches the mesh at the other end. Does anyone leave a small gap and does it help?

Some Rycotes actually had a space most front without internal foam and it was per design. It’s not the foam that is reducing the moving inner air but the outer screen/fur. 

I have always left a small gap. That’s the way it was taught to me 20+ years ago and I haven’t deviated since.

Is it beneficial? I can’t say for sure. I haven’t had the time/situation/desire to make comparisons. I have learned nearly everything I know from people better at their craft than me, and rarely question these little tips and tricks gleaned along the way. 

Cheers,

Evan