beeping/pulse sound issue in G3s

JavierCarles

Hi folks, 

I've had this beeping/pulse sound issue with my G3 these two last days of shooting in two different locations.

Have a listen here --> (5 seconds audio) 9C7JOaTy https://drive.google.com/open?id=1O73QDLKLfPaWPiQYrRCNpnDM

(longer version here --> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ncHqt0VoH5PP0DeUNf1TU-jyR0dvOdXT )

I don't understand what the heck is it, and is driving me crazy; been testing at home with exact setup and all

and the sound does not appear. 

I can 90% assure that is NOT (or shouldn't be) the following (since I've tested it)

- can't be cables xlr (one new and the other is just fine)

- lapel mic Sanken cos 11d is just good and friend been using it and it's good)

- recorder ZoomF4 (it works well and no P48 in channels; tried in all of them)

- can't be batteries eneloop AA 5 months old; weren't full while it happened but

still two lines and it just doesn't make sense)

- doesn't make a difference if pilot tone was active or inactive; the sound

was still happening. Same with squelch

- I did scan new freqs; even between takes

- no phones on actors

I'm not a very tech guy but does that sound like electronic issue? .. or cable/plug of the sanken? But been trying them

right now at home and no issues whatsoever.. even recording. Or is it more like cell interference? 

FYI I'm powering my F4 with a TalentCell battery that it should be good.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

As Eric said, your wireless must be picking up something that is specific to the locations you were in.  It could be environmental or electronic or a combination of both.  It's very obvious on the longer piece you posted.  Looking at it in a spectrogram in RX 6, its a regular pulses that are in most of the vocal range.  Not very loud but certainly noticeable.  I did a quick test with the declick module in RX and it was able to get the pulses out without much damage to the voices.  I did screen shots so you can see what the pulses look like before and after declicking.

Before.png

After.png

Here's a close up of the pulses:

CU of pulses.png

Hi everyone, 

thanks very much for the replies! And Bernie specially for your time with the RX, amazing!

I'm pretty sure it was happening due to the wireless remote focus pulling thing and/or other wireless things

in the Amira they were using, 'cause it was full with stuff I've never seen before. Maybe some bluetooth things -- 

I should have asked exactly what they were using.. (although it wouldn't have changed much I believe).

I'm saying this 'cause it happened on both days of shooting, in different locations (2nd one more

present though), and it did not happen at all at home on my own with exact setup, so I want to believe

is something to do with that focus thing. I did change frequencies and didn't change anything if I run my 

F4 with the external battery or the AA batteries.

I'm shooting again this weekend, with different crew; let's see what happens ! If it happens again I'll get quite worried.

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, JavierCarles said:

Hi everyone, 

thanks very much for the replies! And Bernie specially for your time with the RX, amazing!

I'm pretty sure it was happening due to the wireless remote focus pulling thing and/or other wireless things

in the Amira they were using, 'cause it was full with stuff I've never seen before. Maybe some bluetooth things -- 

I should have asked exactly what they were using.. (although it wouldn't have changed much I believe).

I'm saying this 'cause it happened on both days of shooting, in different locations (2nd one more

present though), and it did not happen at all at home on my own with exact setup, so I want to believe

is something to do with that focus thing. I did change frequencies and didn't change anything if I run my 

F4 with the external battery or the AA batteries.

I'm shooting again this weekend, with different crew; let's see what happens ! If it happens again I'll get quite worried.

Thanks again!

You're welcome Javier!  I do that type of clean up as a service in my home studio when I'm not doing location sound or sports A2.  I saw this as a learning challenge as I've not encountered that type of noise before.  If production wants to clean that up let me know and we can chat about it off line.