MixPre-6 II - Jam Sync to HDMI Timecode?

zlp

Hi folks. I'm a relative noob to the world of timecode, but have a lot of experience with field recording. I just got my hands on a MixPre-6 II and I have a question:

My Panasonic GH5 (not GH5s) has an internal TC generator and it can output HDMI TC. So I was hoping I could connect the two via HDMI, jam-sync the MixPre to the GH5, disconnect, and keep them in sync at least for awhile. But LTC is the only jam-sync source in the MixPre UI. I'm curious if anybody with more experience could help me understand why? (In my case it would save me a tentacle sync box and some more post work if I could use HDMI.) -Thanks

Even if you get them both onto the same TC, they'll drift apart very quickly. 

Why not just get Tentacles? One of them is extremely cheap, especially if getting a 1st Gen secondhand. I think @Trey LaCroix has a set for sale. And it hardly takes any post work at all, saves far more time than the moment it takes to sync up .

On 2/20/2020 at 8:42 PM, zlp said:

In my case it would save me [...] some more post work if I could use HDMI.

Why would be that? If you dive inbto a TC based workflow with dual system sound, video and audio clips will be aligne dby jammed tc - the source doesn't play a role here. However, and that's the thing as per IronFilm: while SoundDevices has proven it can build good timecode generators and their units are tight on reference, sytem cameras are completely differen, so unless you run the MixPre "slaved" to the HDMI out of your camera with permanently attached cable, you won't get around an external TC sync box for it. Only this way you can asure all takes at least* starting at the same time over the day - and REALLY save on some  post work.

(*Disclaimer: this tc onto audio track will keep your back covered for takes up to 15 - 30 minutes, anything beyond is simply not feasible with gear without native support for external sync).

• 3 months later...

I would like to synchronize my GH5 and MixPre-6 ii using time ode and set up these devices so whenI start video recording, the MixPre-6 ii also begins recording. Is this possible? What cable do I need to connect the camera and audio recorder?

• 4 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 8:03 PM, IronFilm said:

Run an HDMI cable from your GH5 into the MixPre6 and cross your fingers. As the MixPre is meant to support the record trigger flag which comes over HDMI, but doesn't necessarily for all brands of cameras, I think it does for the GH5?

As a MixPre-6 II and GH5 owner, I can confirm this combination works if being tethered is OK, otherwise you need to go the Tentacles route. 

When I was researching the MixPre 6 II and timecode options I saw a test where the person jam synced it using a tentacle sync and then unplugged it for 3-4 hours. When comparing timecode it seems the MixPre 6 II lost a frame or two within that time period. However, as you would expect, keeping a tentacle sync plugged into the MixPre 6 II and one into a camera there was zero frame loss during an entire day of shooting. For me I just keep the tentacle sync's plugged in to everything all the time.