Fake MKH 416?

BogdanMecea

Hi everyone!

I just purchased a MKH 416 from BBlist and I have 24h to return it in case something is wrong with the mic. I've tried to do as much research I could about the fake 416's but I'm still not 100% this one is genuine.

The only 2 things that don't convince me are: the finish paint is pretty fine (it's hard to feel the texture of the paint), and if I shake the mic a bit I can hear/feel like there are some parts inside that are moving slightly.

Can anyone leave their opinions on this based on the photos and the info?

UPDATE: I've called Sennheiser and it turns out this mic is legit. And regarding the movement noise coming from the mic, it's because the XLR plug its bit loose. I've tried to  tighten the screw that only holds the XLR part but it seems to be already too tight. Sennheiser said they could fix this issues for the price of £210, which I find to be a bit too much.. but I'll probably just sent it to them and end this problem.

nbae6lf8hgi41.jpg?width=4896&format=pjpg

yrdmtlf8hgi41.jpg?width=4896&format=pjpg

1dzgzlf8hgi41.jpg?width=4896&format=pjpg

sn819lf8hgi41.png?width=961&format=png&a

Edited by BogdanMecea

I believe one of the signs (or has been in the past) of a fake is a 'flat' front end grill.

An original should have an end grill that has a finger shaped recess or 'U' shape as part of its design. 

The one in the picture looks to have a flat surface but I could be wrong with that observation.

The Original should have this indent.

A fake might have a flat front end grill.

Hope this helps.

If in doubt I would return it.

Edited by Soundwil
Terrible grammar!

How does it sound comparing with a real one if you could borrow from someone? 

Just got a friend who bought one from Facebook buy and sell group. Had a doubt when it was being shipped. But in the end, he loved it after he comparing it with his mkh600. 

Of course there are few other reasons such as the serial no. Are all matched etc. 

The fake ones are on eBay for most of time. Bblist is one of the professional site. They wouldn't mess with professionals I assume.

My2cents. 

Its $999.00 new, why buy off EBAY! Call Sennheisser with serial # they can tell you manufacture date!

I have a 416 from when I broke in as a motion picture sound recordist in 1981! It was verified to be original when I sent her in to Sennhisser for a look over, had new xlr's installed, she still sounds terrific!

22 hours ago, BogdanMecea said:

Hi everyone!

I just purchased a MKH 416 from BBlist and I have 24h to return it in case something is wrong with the mic. I've tried to do as much research I could about the fake 416's but I'm still not 100% this one is genuine.

The only 2 things that don't convince me are: the finish paint is pretty fine (it's hard to feel the texture of the paint), and if I shake the mic a bit I can hear/feel like there are some parts inside that are moving slightly.

Can anyone leave their opinions on this based on the photos and the info?

nbae6lf8hgi41.jpg?width=4896&format=pjpg

yrdmtlf8hgi41.jpg?width=4896&format=pjpg

1dzgzlf8hgi41.jpg?width=4896&format=pjpg

sn819lf8hgi41.png?width=961&format=png&a

IMMO is the real thing

22 hours ago, BogdanMecea said:

Well, it looks well used, perhaps even slightly abused - which may explain both that the paint is worn smooth and something rattles. The electronic board looks genuine, no faker would go through the trouble of copying the innards in such detail.

On 2/22/2020 at 5:50 PM, Soundwil said:

I believe one of the signs (or has been in the past) of a fake is a 'flat' front end grill.

An original should have an end grill that has a finger shaped recess or 'U' shape as part of its design. 

The one in the picture looks to have a flat surface but I could be wrong with that observation.

The Original should have this indent.

A fake might have a flat front end grill.

Hope this helps.

If in doubt I would return it.

It actually has the 'U' shape, it just doesn't show up in the photo I took.