How often do you upgrade

Apcki

23 minutes ago, Mike Westgate said:

Only upgrade when you have been solidly booked for big job!

That's good advice.

Parenthetically, I have observed that all my car purchases were made when I was unemployed. It was only when I wasn't working that I could devote the necessary time.

But Mike's advice is still good.

David

I think it depends on needs and and I anticipate myself cutting back in coming years as I will soon be at a point where unless I get a very large scale job I won't need to rent ever....as it is most gigs I still don't have a need to rent gear. For the last several years I've been averaging $10k-15k per year in new equipment. 2019 I hit $22k in new gear acquisitions. Again depends on what you need and how much work you have. 

Only time I ever buy something is if production requires it or if a used item is selling ridiculously cheap.

For example last production item I bought was a 7th and 8th IFB receiver, due to a feature project.

Last item I bought was a third Schoeps CMC6U41 for $700; which made sense cause I could easily sell it if I never used it; I'd probably also make money selling it.

7 hours ago, sciproductions said:

Schoeps CMC6U41 for $700

Wow! In either US or Australian dollars, that's a fantastic deal. Ya, I'd buy that even if I didn't need it right away.

So mostly, I upgrade only when I need to (I just do small corp and doc bag jobs, btw). So for mics and recorders, that's fairly easy to determine. (Also: a mixer/recorder that offers more features at a much lighter weight can prompt a legitimate "need to.") But with wireless here in the US, I'm still trying to figure out what to buy to replace my current Lectros. Hoping for more clarity at NAB, then will spend more money than I'd rather to replace equipment that, but for spectrum issues, still works fine. OTOH, "spectrum issues" are pretty central to wireless working fine. 🙂 

I've been budgeting for the hit for a while, there are several fine options available right now, but I'm still feeling wiggy about it. Gonna be expensive...