SMWB Battery Life

Max Hirtenstein

• 3 years later...
18 hours ago, Blocktek said:

A little late to the party, but I just tested 1x Energizer Lithium vs Eneloop Pro AA in my SMWB.

Results:

Eneloop Pro: 03:42:30

Energizer Lithium: 05:39:00

Just double checking: You ran the batteries down until the transmitter died?

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

25 minutes ago, LarryF said:

Just double checking: You ran the batteries down until the transmitter died?

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Yes. I recorded tone with record run TC and checked the file for when the tone stops. On the NiMH, that was confirmed by the timer on the SRc.

And I just tested a second Eneloop Pro fresh off the charger and got the same time, within a minute.

Louis

20 hours ago, Blocktek said:

Yes. I recorded tone with record run TC and checked the file for when the tone stops. On the NiMH, that was confirmed by the timer on the SRc.

And I just tested a second Eneloop Pro fresh off the charger and got the same time, within a minute.

Louis

Perfect

2 hours ago, Paul F said:

Most interesting. They are both rated by their respective manufacturers @ 2500mah.  But the Energizer lasts 60% longer. That's huge. Nice test Louis.

The difference is in initial battery voltage. The lithium is higher voltage so the current draw is lower due to the fact that the power supply in the unit is a switching power supply. Switchers convert power in to power out. So a higher voltage can draw less current for a given power in. For instance, a switching power supply running from a 12 Volt battery could draw 5 Amps and put out 5 Volts at 12 Amps, if it were 100% efficient. 60 Watts in for 60 Watts out. The switchers we employ, are chosen for high efficiency of course.
All this to say, if a unit needs 600 milliWatts  to operate, that would be 500 mA at 1.2 Volts (NiMh) but only 400 mA at 1.5 Volts (lithium). And all this is complicated by the fact that the lithium starts out at 1.5 Volts and then gradually falls to 1 Volt or less before dying and the NiMh stays at 1.2 Volts until suddenly collapsing.
Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

44 minutes ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

I believe energizer ultimate lithium is rated 3500mAh. (And have become ridiculously expensive).

I decided to test the Eneloop Pros based on an anecdotal recommendation from Gerald Weesner at Lectrosonics. After a weeklong studio gig, my cart was littered with spent Energizer Lithium batteries at $3.00 each. On this job, I was able to pass that cost on to the client, but that isn’t always the case. 
For studio/stage gigs, the Eneloops will suffice. I’ll have to default to the disposable lithiums for any kind of live or documentary work. 
I’m still surprised by the lack of battery innovation in the prosumer market, consider the recent advances in car and energy grid solutions. Also, that I have to resort to a “best guess” estimate for transmitter life on set, rather than having a truly accurate meter representation. Even the lithium batteries “lie” on the SRc battery life display; one minute they show 50%, the next they’re at 100%. 

Louis

• 3 months later...
On 9/29/2023 at 2:33 PM, Blocktek said:

A little late to the party, but I just tested 1x Energizer Lithium vs Eneloop Pro AA in my SMWB.

Results:

Eneloop Pro: 03:42:30

Energizer Lithium: 05:39:00

So , just to be clear, which RF power setting were you on (even though I know its been said "theres an attenuator on the RF output, so the battery drain is the same" Im curious 

On 1/13/2024 at 11:07 PM, soundtown said:

So , just to be clear, which RF power setting were you on (even though I know its been said "theres an attenuator on the RF output, so the battery drain is the same" Im curious 

100 mW.