NuHybrid and 400 mix and match

KenLac

Hey folks. I'll be taking this up directly with Lectro as well, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had experiences with mis-matching NuHybrid transmitters with older 400 Series ("NA Hybrid") receivers.

I knew this would come up at some point, and it finally did on a recent reality job I parachuted into, where I substituted for the primary mixer and took over his bag (literally in the middle of an interview). Certain channels sounded dull and weird, and the receiver screens were giving me untrustworthy info about battery and audio levels. I did a bit of examination and discovered that a fair number of the transmitters were NuHybrid only, but all the receivers were set for NA Hybrid. And it was an exact correlation: the mismached channels sounded odd, and the channels that were 400/NA Hybrid at both ends sounded fine. (The primary mixer was apparently entirely unaware about what NuHybrid was in the first place.)

I was surprised that the mismatched channels functioned at all. Thus far I haven't unearthed any web info from Lectro regarding their position or philosophy on this. (Obviously mismatch is bad practice from the get-go, but why did they leave the possibility open, for example.)

Anyone have more experience, info, opinions?

Some info in this thread:

I would also say the whole scenario you describe above is just one example of why it's best to work only with gear that you own and maintain yourself.

I do understand that the situation might have been such that it was not possible, since you literally jumped in mid interview, but generally speaking....

5 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

Some info in this thread:

Thanks for pointing me to that. The biggest takeaway from that thread, at least as far as it pertains to the mix-and-match question:

Can you use a 50Khz transmitter with a 75Khz receiver?  Yes, but you will have better results changing the receiver over to the European mode. The majority of Lectrosonics receivers out there have the European modes built in which are the 50Khz deviation. 

This would be an interesting thing to experiment with if I end up back on that bag. It also aligns with what I was seeing as far as levels: plenty of signal according to the lights on the transmitter, but hardly moving on the receiver's indicator. I'm guessing the receiver was expecting 75K of deviation and seeing only 50. Better technicians than I would need to theorize as to why the top end would be missing.