Recommend speaker for checking mix in mono?

gum51820

Hello,

A total newb here to audio work. I've been reading up on mixing and came across the idea of having a central speaker with one cone focused on mid range frequencies for checking basic eq, frequency masking, compression?, phase shifts etc..

Then one would come across the NS-10 with toilet paper, Auratone 5C, its modern clones (including Auratone's own duplicate of it's 1985 version of the Auratone 5C, but with more range and hi-fi sound apparently). But I cannot justify paying hundreds of dollars for those types of speakers. In fact, there was a thread on this forum in 2013 that chuckled at how much the Auratone 5C were selling for even though they're not really relevant nowadays due to advancement in technology.

I currently have a pair of powered Yorkville YSM1P monitors. I don't really want to always move a speaker to the center for mono checking and then to the side again for stereo, but I don't know what speaker would suffice for mono checks.

The mixing will mostly deal with dialogue, maybe some voice overs and simple background music for now. I'm looking to add a sub-woofer someday.

For audio interface / monitor controller, I have my eyes on Mackie Big Knob Plus, but I'm not sure if that's a suitable option

Anyhow, could someone please offer some recommendations / knowledge on suitable speakers for mono checking and a suitable audio interface?

Note: I know an untreated room is basically a no-go for sound mixing but, I don't really have the budget for that right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Why not just put a plugin on your master bus that will combine both chanels to mono so you can check mono compatibility of the mix.  Alternatively use a meter plugin that has a stereo correlation meter included such as the free version of Voxengo SPAN.  The closer to +1 you can keep the meter the better mono comparability you will have.

The main thing with monitoring for translation to other venues or situations is your experience doing that.  You can use any sort of decent speaker you want, but need to get some experience hearing how the decisions you make on your system sound on other systems, esp. theatres and dub stages.  No monitor system will do this for you on its own.