rack cart wheels

Philip Perkins

You folks w/ rack-based carts: the wheels you are using for them, were they custom made?  I looked around on the FilmTools and BackStage sites and didn't see anything I thought would work for that, yet I've seen lots of rack-based carts.  The rack thing is attractive to me because I'm looking at downsizing my vehicle again and would like something that came apart (and went back together again) in a coherent fashion.  One current theory is that the equipment racks are independent of the frame and wheels, and so could function in a small mode like the small footprint drama carts some of you have, but then could sit on a magliner for an expanded setup (like for multicam video etc)

Philip Perkins

Hi Philip,

I am using this type of wheels , three years for now, and their are good, small and not heavy. front wheels are moving 360 .

Best

Novica Jankov

/Users/apple/Desktop/sound cart/DSCN2625.JPG

/Users/apple/Desktop/sound cart/DSCN2628.JPG

Does anyone know where to get wheels in the 20" range?

Chinhda uses a bicycle wheel with very rugged plastic construction. The material is similar to the plastic used in Pelican cases. They've proven to be pretty dependable on carts loaded with considerable equipment. I've attached two photos - one shows a 16" version of the wheel and the other a cart fitted with 20" wheels.

As bicycle wheels go, these are fairly expensive. I think they are $100 ~ $120 each, more if a disc is mounted. If you think they're what you are seeking, I'll get order information. (Don't have it ready to hand)

David Waelder

Hi Philip,

My cart wheels came from Skyway. 

http://www.skywaywheels.com/products_005.htm

Their industrial wheel range are available with narrower hubs than bicycle wheels. The link below has a basic guide but there's many different bearing / hub combinations available.

http://www.skywaywheels.com/products_007.htm

David M

David--you cart looks like it should be able to move on its own, talk and mix a drink all at once.

Pretty nearly. There is an electric motor in the shop that Chindha has been planning to incorporate. A suitable clutch is the challenge. And we do provide wine to clients who stop by.

Admittedly, not cheap. But we're happy to share whatever we've learned by building the things.

David

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using 20" BMX mag wheels on my cart rebuild right now. They are made to handle freestyle and off road BMX riding, so I am hoping they will take any abuse a sound cart will go through. You figure a 150+ pound BMX rider going at speed for jumps and crashes is a lot more force than my cart should ever be subjected to. I bought a pair of new front wheels for almost nothing on ebay from a bike shop. I figured it would be easier to keep it consistent and get two fronts or two rears as i would have to work around the existing axle setup.

Until now I was using 20" spoked wheels from an oxy/acetylene welding cart.

I put on larger (wider) dirt tires. I figured I could run the pressure a little bit low to give the cart extra cushioning. It's not suspension like Chindha developed, but it will eat some of the bumps in the road.

My cart is more the PSC style. There are some pictures at johnpaul215.com

-johnpaul