NAB - Pullouts and Will NAB 2020 Be Canceled?

Dan Brockett

NAB cancels show

The National Association of Broadcasters annual convention in Las Vegas is off in April because of concerns over the coronavirus.

The trade group’s president, Gordon Smith, said,  “In the interest of addressing the health and safety concerns of our stakeholders and in consultation with partners throughout the media and entertainment industry, we have decided not to move forward with NAB Show in April. We are currently considering a number of potential alternatives to create the best possible experience for our community.”

So, we will not be having our annual r.a.m.p.s./jwsound party, bummer, but will of course have the party next year (or sooner if NAB decides to just move the show  to later in the year).

More info directly from the NAB at the link below (same link Ric provided), including the full statement attributed to Smith, and a FAQ that includes:

Do you have a new date and location or other details?

Not yet. We have a dedicated team reviewing a number of potential alternatives to create the best possible experience for our community. We are still working out all the details and want to thank you again for your patience as we take the time needed to get this right.

https://nabshow.com/2020/attend/onsite-services/coronavirus-update-and-resources/

3 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

So, we will not be having our annual r.a.m.p.s./jwsound party, bummer, but will of course have the party next year (or sooner if NAB decides to just move the show  to later in the year).

Jeff - is anyone getting burned on deposits for the RAMPS party?

32 minutes ago, Gordonmoore1 said:

Jeff - is anyone getting burned on deposits for the RAMPS party?

I think we're in good shape in terms of deposits I had made to secure the venue. As far as the companies that so generously offered up sponsor money, I will be sending out an email to each of the companies giving them a choice: I can hang onto the sponsor donations and apply it to the party whenever we can do it (either later this year if NAB reschedules or next year), or I can refund the money to each company. We'll see how it all shakes out.