Jay Rose

old school

It’s being reported our good friend and frequent contributor Jay Rose has passed away. I’m not sure of the details and really they don’t matter. He was an outstanding master of sound for picture and shared his knowledge freely and kindly. My condolences to his family and many friends.

CrewC

According to John Garrett, who was friends with Jay for decades, Jay passed away suddenly this morning.

I had the true privilege to be Jay's editor at DV magazine for several years. Always great to work with. And I was privileged to call him a friend. Though nowhere near as close a friend as John and others, and nothing at all like the loss his family must be feeling. 

A truly generous and giving man. A true loss.

Another side of Jay...or at least a very close acquaintence of Jay 🙂 He wrote a hilarious column about Tofu once... 

tofu.jpg

"I call myself Tofu because like the popular bean curd, I'm white, not too firm, and almost never found at McDonald's."

http://www.jayrose.com/funny/tofu.html

Truly sad news.  I have always appreciated Jay's insights and vast knowledge when it came to Sound and Video engineering.

I have been following his columns and various print pieces for decades.    Sorry to hear of his sudden passing. We will all

miss his frequent contributions to this site..

Besides his very long career in post and his concurrent career as an author and educator, Jay was kind of a hero to many of us "one-mixer-studio" post-audio folks.  His prolific inventiveness at getting the most for his clients out of smallish, relatively minimal studio setups over the years was a great inspiration to people like me.  Our best to his family, he will be well-remembered.

We can each now sign a guestbook his family set up on Jay's website.

The link is at the top of his homepage:

http://www.jayrose.com

In Memoriam Jay Rose, 1948-2020

Our beloved father, husband, friend, colleague, mentor, and audio guy, Jay Rose, passed away on Monday, March 10, 2020, due to a sudden illness. Please leave your thoughts for his family and your memories of Jay here

Very sad to read this. I never met him person but the way he responded to people on this forum was so helpful and personable it was like I had. His expertise, interest and fascination with the field and its outer limits help make this space informative about so many things including those non industry related ones that are still relevant.

Like several of us away from checking the group and when we do to be confronted with this very sad news. And like many here I am sure although we never met in person we did so many times in conversation, collaboration and spirit. My dearest regards go to his friends and family who might not realise how much he meant to us here and very probably elsewhere, his other industry families.

Jez x

I was lucky to have collaborated a bit with Jay and had several phone conversations with him over the years. He gave me some great advice about working with a publisher when I wrote my first book. He always gave a lot of good advice and shared his knowledge freely with whoever asked him.

RIP Jay, hope to have conversations with you again someday!