Corona Virus and Shoots

agarrison

1 hour ago, indiefilm said:

Shut down until all can be tested

One thing I wonder about: How often would one need to be tested? As in: I could be tested this week and be clear, but then get exposed the following week. 

Not trying to spread FUD (or COVID-19 😀), but I don't think the test will be one-and-done. Rather, that we'll need to figure out how to handle making sure we're each clear and don't become a vector to more vulnerable populations.

Also: Our local K-12 school district is closing at noon today and will be closed for three weeks (two "regular" weeks + one week of spring break). 

Good luck with this everyone!

How much does this suck?  Well, after years of work, weeks of rehearsal in NYC with 18 players, 4 dancers, 2 lead singers, the Trinity Choir and a full set+tech crew, performances of our daughter's opera  p r i s m  at The Kennedy Center were cancelled just as they finished tech and were ready to open.  That's a big platter of suck right there.  Plenty to go around!!

1 minute ago, Philip Perkins said:

How much does this suck?  Well, after years of work, weeks of rehearsal in NYC with 18 players, 4 dancers, 2 lead singers, the Trinity Choir and a full set+tech crew, performances of our daughter's opera  p r i s m  at The Kennedy Center were cancelled just as they finished tech and were ready to open.  That's a big platter of suck right there.  Plenty to go around!!

yup.

Yup, I had a few jobs get cancelled this week and the next. And my sons school (LAUSD) is closed for two weeks effective Monday..

Now please excuse me, I need to go read a couple hundred emails from banks, air lines, internet providers etc writing to let me know how much they care about me and my family.

5 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

How much does this suck?

yes - here in Australia too. I'm in pre-production for filming a large outdoor Opera. Cast are in their last day of four weeks the rehearsal rooms today, on-set on Monday (in theory) and the Government has banned events of over 500 persons (this seats over 2000). Haven't got the cancellation email yet - but no show, no film. The third in a row now, and ALL my bookings into the future are going to be subject to this given the niche of the industry I work in - as long as it lasts.

the problem is exponential growth.

the only way to keep things under control is to start when everything still looks to be rather harmless.

the downside of this is that the lockdown situation will have to be kept up for quite a long time. personally I think it will get a lot worse and stay bad until the end of the year. no idea how people are supposed to keep paying rent in this climate though : (

chris

Image may contain: text

It is important to "flatten the curve" so that our whole healthcare system doesn't completely collapse like it has already in other countries such as Italy.

Is why today our PM announced our borders are effectively closed. (well, technically they're not closed closed. But anybody arriving in New Zealand has to be in self isolation for two whole weeks! Who on earth would want to travel to NZ to spend their first two weeks stuck in a hotel room??)

This itinerary is even funnier if you know New Zealand (such as Day 11 being eggs for breakfast after watching Once Were Warriors the night before):

89436548_220690649129556_910467410016442

My conspiracy theory... Netflix was under pressure from new streaming platforms. How to build subscriber numbers? Coronavirus and enforced self isolation across the globe... well played Netflix. We'll all be screen zombies at home for weeks on end. 

12 hours ago, nickreich said:

yes - here in Australia too. I'm in pre-production for filming a large outdoor Opera. Cast are in their last day of four weeks the rehearsal rooms today, on-set on Monday (in theory) and the Government has banned events of over 500 persons (this seats over 2000). Haven't got the cancellation email yet - but no show, no film. The third in a row now, and ALL my bookings into the future are going to be subject to this given the niche of the industry I work in - as long as it lasts.

Couldn't they carry on but limit attendance to 400 people? (yes, it would suck having the much lower ticket income vs a full house of 2000 although in the current environment I doubt anywhere is selling out, but surely something is better than nothing? And having 400 people spread out thinly across 2000 seats would help with the whole "social distancing" thing we should be doing)

12 hours ago, chrismedr said:

the problem is exponential growth.

the only way to keep things under control is to start when everything still looks to be rather harmless.

the downside of this is that the lockdown situation will have to be kept up for quite a long time. personally I think it will get a lot worse and stay bad until the end of the year. no idea how people are supposed to keep paying rent in this climate though : (

Bet we'll still be feeling the effects in 2021 :-/ Just like with the GFC, this will have far reaching implications. 

Our set medic offered B12 injections to boost our immune system. I had one last Friday and yesterday. We had one person not show up on Thursday because of the fear, otherwise we seem to be a small group that is isolated in the country. 5 more days of 20.

3 hours ago, newzhack said:

Our set medic offered B12 injections to boost our immune system. I had one last Friday and yesterday. We had one person not show up on Thursday because of the fear, otherwise we seem to be a small group that is isolated in the country. 5 more days of 20.

This shows the existential choice that many people will be forced to make: continue (to completion?) a project or task already started, with enormous sunk-costs at the risk of increased community spread of the virus, or stop now and take what might be considerable losses.  In the arts, including movies, production insurance isn't much help for this kind of thing unless you have the cover of some kind of governmental decree (like SF's ban on gatherings and social spacing rules).  I don't envy those who have to make this choice, but hope that if they continue to work they are as careful as they can be.  

I‘ve had a job of 45 days postponed by a week - so far. I feel like they‘ll delay it even further, but it’s difficult to guess. Germany‘s already been badly hit and the prod company wouldn’t want to be seen as ignorant - I think. And a lot changes within a week, so cancellation will get more likely. 45 days of missed work will be a real pain, though. Even if they postpone it, it’ll clash with other projects. Winter/spring 21 is going to be really busy. Or maybe it won’t be, because a lot of companies will be broke. 

11 hours ago, newzhack said:

you know, I‘m not a doctor and there are a lot of wild and less wild theories out there about this virus. As you may know, children hardly get affected if at all. One (amongst many) working hypothesis for this is that their immune systems are actually less capable and don’t attac the virus as much. Whereas with grownups their immune system goes into overdrive and thereby damages the lungs. Or something like that. I don’t know, it seemed to make a lot more sense when they were explaining it on the radio than it does now. Point is, artificially boosting your immune system has never been shown to be helpful for healthy adults. 

I was about to go for vaccation as of now, but Denmark closing the boarders would have made it hard to travel the booked way.

In a way the hit is so far not so bad for me personally as I just had a good amount of work till the last Friday, when my collegue was going to take over the project over the weekend. He has so far had 4 shoots, including the one I did until Friday, canceled.

The last show was all elbow bumping and I had talent wire themself more than normally, plus using hand senatisers.

Got three projects in small locations in a week, and atleast two of them will still carry on if permitted, but who knows, things change fast.

As much as it sucks having to spend the vaccation at home, it made me atleast mentally prepared to not work this week.

If gigs thin out in the long run, I might try to get some other source of income, such as translating articles or something.

Fingers crossed that it gets better as I have an exciting feuture in July in another country and it would suck to pass out on it.

Stay well!