Corona Virus and Shoots

agarrison

We were just starting to shoot episode 3 of our 12 episode season and we were shutdown for a minimum of 2 weeks, possibly longer. This order came from Disney HQ. I had a slow fall and a very slow winter and burned through savings so hopefully this doesn’t last too long otherwise I’m screwed. 

I was supposed to work the entire month of March...

Hello unemployment insurance, my name is Dalton. 

My union sent out emails suggesting UI and if you get sick (with the real thing), your eligible for disability ins. 

Don't pass because you think you don't need or deserve it. I passed back in 2009 because I thought I was "too good/hard working". I wish I had signed up for UI then. 

Any production anywhere would be wise to cancel any shoot in the next two months because if they don't they are quite likely to be shut down anyway by the governments who will have to ramp up whatever measures they can think of in order to limit social interaction. Basically it comes down to lockdowns all over. Until the vaccination is here (some voices are now saying that could be as soon as this fall) things won't fully go back to normal. Travel restrictions might stay in place for many more months.

Here in New Zealand (and we're doing the best out of most places in the world! No deaths yet, and up until earlier this week our number of cases was in the single digits, but just now creeped up into to the double digits :-/ ) we've had Lord of the Rings, Avatar, and many many other shoots either delayed / paused / or outright cancelled. 

A friend who's a fellow local sound mixer just last week lost out on three whole months of work because the BBC won't allow any more traveling so the other crew/cast can't come to NZ 😞 Of course now it is not just the BBC, but any other productions who were even thinking of coming to NZ now can't! As today we closed our borders to anybody who isn't a citizen. 

It's going to be a rough winter for us. 

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It's going to be a rough winter for us. 

For all of us. Well, summer anyway... 

All my work has now been indefinitely postponed, but still supposed to be shot some day. Same for 98% of productions here in Germany. 
I have to say that this came a bit late. This thing kept hurtling towards us in slo-mo but clearly inevitably. Yet the reactions and measures also happened in slo-mo, even though everyone knew what was going to happen

I need to get my head around how this would work. I have a steady client list (probably about 30 or so) that usually hire me to work anywhere between 1-4 days at a time.

Should I file for actual booked-then-cancelled days, or potentially missed work, since (like everyone else, I'm sure) the bookings came to a sudden, grinding halt?

11 minutes ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

I need to get my head around how this would work. I have a steady client list (probably about 30 or so) that usually hire me to work anywhere between 1-4 days at a time.

Should I file for actual booked-then-cancelled days, or potentially missed work, since (like everyone else, I'm sure) the bookings came to a sudden, grinding halt?

Take this with a grain of salt but a regular client of mine emailed everyone they work with and said it's best to file the claim with payroll companies that you were on payroll for.  This one was in particular Media Services with whom I obviously do a lot of gigs with.  Is that true?  Not entirely sure, but I would maybe look into them first.

Just go to the website, and check it out, they already had most of my employers listed, the rest I filled in the address and contact info, start with registering and opening a claim. You can ask questions directly through email, it says 6-7 days for response, but I got my answer response in an hour. FYI I filled it out ( different forms) what felt like 5 times. I don't know why but I had to do some things twice, maybe because of their heavy traffic during the rush. 

http://uio.edd.ca.gov

27 minutes ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Just go to the website, and check it out, they already had most of my employers listed, the rest I filled in the address and contact info, start with registering and opening a claim. You can ask questions directly through email, it says 6-7 days for response, but I got my answer response in an hour. FYI I filled it out ( different forms) what felt like 5 times. I don't know why but I had to do some things twice, maybe because of their heavy traffic during the rush. 

http://uio.edd.ca.gov

Thanks Dalton.

Looks like the whole internet read your post LOL I guess I'll try later:

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 6.24.54 PM.png

33 minutes ago, codyman said:

Take this with a grain of salt but a regular client of mine emailed everyone they work with and said it's best to file the claim with payroll companies that you were on payroll for.  This one was in particular Media Services with whom I obviously do a lot of gigs with.  Is that true?  Not entirely sure, but I would maybe look into them first.

Thanks Codyman, but I have a mishmash of several payroll companies, and some 1099 clients, so again, I need to wrap my head around all of this.

15 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

Saw something today about possible deferral of mortgage payments, and not needing to file Fed Income Tax until July?

What I've been hearing is that you do still need to file on time and that there's a 90 day grace period to pay what you owe w/o penalty or interest...They said no change in the filing date because you can do it online...

I've heard about the push for mortgage payment deferrals (and student loans, credit cards, parking tix etc) but haven't actually verified...

As fast as the stories are changing you'll want to verify with IRS or an accountant...

...Ric

LOL and OMG as the kids say:

I was in the middle of figuring out / filling out (yeah, I have never filed for Unemployment before ) when the he site "crashed" or just went nowhere.... then this:

System Maintenance: UI OnlineSM and UI Online MobileSM

We are upgrading UI Online to better serve Californians impacted by COVID-19. UI Online and UI Online Mobile will be unavailable on Thursday, March 19 from 8 p.m. to 12 midnight.

During this period you can call 1-866-333-4606 to check payment information, hear general Unemployment Insurance information, and certify for continued benefits using EDD Tele-CertSM. Information about your debit card is available on Bank of America's EDD Debit CardSM website.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to improve our services

------------------------------------------

Oh well, I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

13 hours ago, ricphoto said:

What I've been hearing is that you do still need to file on time and that there's a 90 day grace period to pay what you owe w/o penalty or interest...They said no change in the filing date because you can do it online...

I've heard about the push for mortgage payment deferrals (and student loans, credit cards, parking tix etc) but haven't actually verified...

As fast as the stories are changing you'll want to verify with IRS or an accountant...

...Ric

This from the Treasury Dept today:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The income tax filing date has been pushed back from April 15, to July 15, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said.

On 3/19/2020 at 5:56 PM, codyman said:

CALIFORNIA:

You file for California state unemployment online, you state that Media Services is your employer. (Look at the bottom of your pay stub, it has the proper info) and any other payroll like Cast and Crew etc.  Media Services IS your employer of record.

It doesn't affect production companies, nor Media Services, it comes out of a state fund, to which media services and you paid into.

The production companies only fund their half of payrollll taxes along with you to MEDIA SERVICES.

I was asked on an unemployment interview about this "media services", and they responded, "oh you're in the entertainment industry, got it"

IMPORTANT DISABILITY NOTE:

If you want to file DISABILITY, look at your pay stub deductions, if it says CA SDI, then you file with the state, if it says CA VDPI. theres a number on your Media Services pay stub to call (its a privately funded disability insurance).

I get paid by Media Services, and have done both.

1 hour ago, Mike Westgate said:

Re: NZ Holiday

You will be be put on two weeks isolation no questions

No takeaway or food delivery but you will get free hotel and food

Enjoy the view of the car park!

mike

NZ is no exception. The whole world has these kind of precautions. 

For people in the US, there are a couple of programs from the Small Business Administration that might be worth applying for.

Economic Injury Disaster Loan Emergency Advance
This loan advance will provide up to $10,000 of economic relief to businesses that are currently experiencing temporary difficulties.

https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/coronavirus-relief-options/economic-injury-disaster-loan-emergency-advance

In response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, small business owners in all U.S. states, Washington D.C., and territories are eligible to apply for an Economic Injury Disaster Loan advance of up to $10,000. This advance will provide economic relief to businesses that are currently experiencing a temporary loss of revenue. Funds will be made available following a successful application. This loan advance will not have to be repaid.

There's a second program that is worth looking into if you have employees.

Paycheck Protection Program
An SBA loan that helps businesses keep their workforce employed during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis.

https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/coronavirus-relief-options/paycheck-protection-program-ppp

The Paycheck Protection Program is a loan designed to provide a direct incentive for small businesses to keep their workers on the payroll.

SBA will forgive loans if all employees are kept on the payroll for eight weeks and the money is used for payroll, rent, mortgage interest, or utilities.