Boom Buddy and Boom Swinger

Nick Flowers

These things look good, I do have a few suggestions.  First, it looks from the pix like the head tightening crank is on the left side, as one would face the back of the pole.  The reason C-stands etc are set with their tightening handles on the right side (as you face the set) is because if the head gets loose and the pole etc starts to sag it will tighten the head instead of loosening it.  I've had this beef with the makers of music-type mic stands for years.  Maybe consider having the crank on the other side?  My other somewhat more practical suggestion would be to add some kind of boom hold-down clamps to the device.  I have both "Cardellini" type clamps as well as "boom boy" types (derived from fishing pole holders), and in the heat of a shoot I really prefer the Cardellini.  Why?   Because it securely holds the pole, even when extended, when you need to tilt it more vertical to get it out of the way during a lighting change etc, it stays put when you adjust the tilt angle (doesn't want to come out of the holder) and when you need to move the whole rig to another position it all stays together better.   The "Buddy-Bag" is very clever.

2 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

These things look good, I do have a few suggestions.  First, it looks from the pix like the head tightening crank is on the left side, as one would face the back of the pole.  The reason C-stands etc are set with their tightening handles on the right side (as you face the set) is because if the head gets loose and the pole etc starts to sag it will tighten the head instead of loosening it.  I've had this beef with the makers of music-type mic stands for years.  Maybe consider having the crank on the other side?  My other somewhat more practical suggestion would be to add some kind of boom hold-down clamps to the device.  I have both "Cardellini" type clamps as well as "boom boy" types (derived from fishing pole holders), and in the heat of a shoot I really prefer the Cardellini.  Why?   Because it securely holds the pole, even when extended, when you need to tilt it more vertical to get it out of the way during a lighting change etc, it stays put when you adjust the tilt angle (doesn't want to come out of the holder) and when you need to move the whole rig to another position it all stays together better.   The "Buddy-Bag" is very clever.

Thanks Philip. I will pass these suggestions onto the manufacturer.

Nick.

Keith's response to Philip's comments:

The position of the clamp was worked out right at the beginning in 2002 and it was decided to put the clamp so that the weight of the boom being heavier at the front, would tighten the clamp rather than loosen it irrespective of whether it was on the left or the right. Also the clamp has a reinforced fibre/rubber washer which interacts with the ridges within the circular base forming something like a click stop mechanism.

The boom stays within the cradle without the need to have a clamp to keep it in place and simply holding it when repositioning the boom is adequate.

He obviously looked at the pics and thinks the handle will come loose. It’s the cradle which has a square hole for the clamping bolt and the washer is fixed to it so if anything would move it would be the cradle thus tightening!