Some help on two soundbites.

Thomas Farmer

I've got two different soundbites from a short doc interview. I have attached them to this post. The programs I am using are Adobe Audition for the main edit and then I'll often pull individual pieces into Izotope RX 7. 

For the first one (TEVIN_366_Fire_Extracted), near the end of the soundbite, he says "...to just go and change my life and that's what I did." As he says "and that's what I did", there is an intense Rustle from the clothing on the lav mic that overwhelms what he's saying. Not sure if this is too far gone or salvageable at all. 

Then the 2nd one, (TEVIN_366_Nothing_Extracted), when he says "This is nothing.." there is an audible CLICK sound in the background. If I can, I would like to mitigate that as well. 

Thanks! Feedback and advice is appreciative. I am still doing by best to learn more then just the basics with dialogue editing, so all feedback is welcome. 

TEVIN_366_Fire Extracted.wav

TEVIN_366_Nothing_extracted.wav

I just downloaded your files and will take a listen and an attempt to see if they can be fixed.

Really not bad.  Here are the fixed files.  DeRustle got the rustle, spectral repair, got the low end thump that was more apparent after the rustle was gone, and declick for the click in the second file.  RX6 advanced.  I just redid the first clip.  There was a little rustle left.  I used a more extreme setting for derustle and selected more of the phrase and it also took care of the low end thump.

TEVIN_366_Nothing_extracted_CU.wav

TEVIN_366_Fire Extracted_CU.wav

16 minutes ago, Michael McQueen said:

yea Bernie way to go!

Hi Michael!

Take another listen I just improved it.  So sorry for the passing of your mentor/friend at NBC!  

BB

On 3/22/2020 at 12:26 AM, Thomas Farmer said:

I've got two different soundbites from a short doc interview. I have attached them to this post. The programs I am using are Adobe Audition for the main edit and then I'll often pull individual pieces into Izotope RX 7. 

For the first one (TEVIN_366_Fire_Extracted), near the end of the soundbite, he says "...to just go and change my life and that's what I did." As he says "and that's what I did", there is an intense Rustle from the clothing on the lav mic that overwhelms what he's saying. Not sure if this is too far gone or salvageable at all. 

Then the 2nd one, (TEVIN_366_Nothing_Extracted), when he says "This is nothing.." there is an audible CLICK sound in the background. If I can, I would like to mitigate that as well. 

Thanks! Feedback and advice is appreciative. I am still doing by best to learn more then just the basics with dialogue editing, so all feedback is welcome. 

TEVIN_366_Fire Extracted.wav 770.59 kB · 16 downloads

TEVIN_366_Nothing_extracted.wav 653.11 kB · 9 downloads

Thomas,

Did you noise reduce this audio, or was it this clean to begin with?  The rustle really wasn't that bad.  More in between the words.  A good fill edit might have been able to help as an alternative.  What version of RX are you working with?

On 3/23/2020 at 11:58 AM, berniebeaudry said:

Hi Michael!

Take another listen I just improved it.  So sorry for the passing of your mentor/friend at NBC!  

BB

Thomas,

Did you noise reduce this audio, or was it this clean to begin with?  The rustle really wasn't that bad.  More in between the words.  A good fill edit might have been able to help as an alternative.  What version of RX are you working with?

That was the unedited audio from location! Was a small micro-budget doc project that I mixed for. And I am working with RX 7. I'll take your advice and do my best to re-create what you did so I can better learn for myself in the future. Thank you so much!