Greyhound adoption

drpro

I know this is not a pet related forum. Due to the Covid-19, the remaining tracks in Florida are now closing as opposed to must close by the end of 2020.
What this means now, about 5000 Greyhounds are going to need homes immediately. The hope has been that the hounds would be release in smaller groups.

My wife and I have been adopting and fostering retired racing Greyhounds for the past 20 years. We are taking several into our home to join our present two hounds.

Anybody that has a Greyhound or used to have one knows what amazing animals they are.

Please check Greyhound adoption groups in your area. The big one is Greyhound Pets of America with chapters in many towns.

Thank you for considering adoption.

David

If you need a foster home for a couple out west of Seattle give me a shout...

We currently have 2 rescue dogs (Border Collie/Wolf and Border Collie/Pit) and 4 rescue cats on 5 wooded (fenced) acres...plenty of running/playing room...trainable hoomans ;-)

...Ric

After nearly 1000miles (1600km) yesterday we returned with 15 Greyhounds from a track in Florida.  Up at 2am, then drove to a point just south of Valdosta, GA, met the hauler and returned to Nashville in one very long day.
A few photos of those lucky Greyhounds.

GPA1.jpg

GPA3.jpg

GPA5.jpg

GPA8.jpg

GPA10.jpg

Most Greyhounds I have encountered over the years have been healthy.  If they are making money, then they are taken care of.  Before adoption took off in the world, historically hounds were put down in large numbers.  The industry at its peak was breeding upwards a 100,000 dogs a year.  With no adoption to speak of, most hounds were disposed of.  These numbers only apply in the USA, I don't know about the rest of the world.

So with more publicity about racing, I think the tracks and owners started doing a better job of caring for the dogs.  In the twenty years my wife and I have been involved with Greyhounds we do the best we can to help.

Thanks

David

Thanks for doing this David. 

For anyone who is considering getting a greyhound, do it. I didn’t want another dog but my wife did. I’m more of a cat person. Greyhounds are giant cat dogs. They are not like other dogs. So glad I let my wife talking me into getting a grey 4 years ago. We try to foster a couple each year. I would of kept a couple of the fosters but our boy is a bit of a loner and only tolerates the fosters for so long. 

This Is our boy Victor doing what he does best. We live in a small apartment and despite his size he is the perfect apartment dog. 

Cheers Nate

8C448816-9BED-41DA-A199-1E6BD02AB816.jpeg

Thanks for the reply, Nate.  Yes they are cat like.  Can curl into a small space or stretch out to push you off the bed.  There is a neat lady in Sydney, that maintains a FB page565638350230837 565638350230837called "Fans of Alice in Wooferland &Xanthie"  Her hounds speak to the world in Greylisch.  Definitely fun if you have a hound.  Also check out Richard Skipworth in the UK. https://www.richskipworth.co.uk/   He is an illustrator that has Greyhounds and has produced several books all Greyhound owners need on their bookshelf.

Here is a shot of our boy upside down and our little girl who thinks we humans are for her pleasure.

David

Gr1.jpg

Gr2.jpg