Outboard Peak Meyer

Trey LaCroix

I’m using this time to reconfigure my cart and was wondering if someone could recommend a physical peak meter I could stick above my recorder. My Scorpio has a tiny ass screen that has been pissing me off as of late. Want some big bright bulbs!

*I realize the "something" is a single world. It autocorrected to that when I typed it.

2CAFB35A-7B74-4464-B7E5-068CD8E946EB.jpeg

1 hour ago, TVPostSound said:

2 minutes ago, ivanovich said:

also recommend the dorrough meters. or if you want some VU peak meters, sifam also makes different kinds that you can rack up

Can Dorrough meters run on DC? I seem to recall that they only run on AC.

6 minutes ago, Trey LaCroix said:

Can Dorrough meters run on DC? I seem to recall that they only run on AC.

I believe most of them can run on 10v-16v and use about 6watts. the sifam analog meters dont require any power if you decide not to power the lamps

Another recommendation for Dorrough meters. Easy to integrate on a cart if you stay digital.

I put a horizontal 280D (or maybe the 280DE) digital peak meter on a previous cart/recorder iteration and loved it. I fed the Mix signal on an AES pair out from the 788T, so the recorder's 8 LED meters were dedicated to isos.

Fast peak response, easy to read.

Non-dimmable backlight, so on a dark stage I'd put some ND gel across it. The light is weak in direct sun.

Power was 6V or 7V DC, I believe, so I fed 12V to a switching inline regulator.

They are pricey new, but I found mine used for $100.

https://www.dorrough.com/PDF/280Digital.pdf

Or a cl-12 or cl-16...

Best,

Ben Lowry

Ya, I was thinking a used SD 302 or maybe a MixPre-D (the model before the current generation). The 302 offers Peak, VU, Peak Hold, and a couple combos. There are four or so settings. On the brightest setting, those LEDs will burn a hole in your corneas. 😉 But you'll be able to read them in sunlight. You adjust the brightnes through the little * button under the left end of the meters.  (As you probably recall). Also, the LED dance when you power off still impresses people. 

302_front_panel.jpg

Trey, you mention bright. How bright do you need? Dorrough meters are totally cool, but I've only seen them inside; not sure how bright they get. Same with iPads (at least, my older one isn't great in the sun). Do you need something bright enough for sunlight or shaded sunlight? Is that an issue for you?

12 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

Ya, I was thinking a used SD 302 or maybe a MixPre-D (the model before the current generation). The 302 offers Peak, VU, Peak Hold, and a couple combos. There are four or so settings. On the brightest setting, those LEDs will burn a hole in your corneas. 😉 But you'll be able to read them in sunlight. You adjust the brightnes through the little * button under the left end of the meters.  (As you probably recall). Also, the LED dance when you power off still impresses people. 

302_front_panel.jpg

Trey, you mention bright. How bright do you need? Dorrough meters are totally cool, but I've only seen them inside; not sure how bright they get. Same with iPads (at least, my older one isn't great in the sun). Do you need something bright enough for sunlight or shaded sunlight? Is that an issue for you?

Preferably pretty bright. I'd like to use them in sunlight and on stage. This thread has actually go me thinking about pulling my 442 out of the closet and putting it up there. Totally didn't think about that.

5 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

Preferably pretty bright. I'd like to use them in sunlight and on stage. This thread has actually go me thinking about pulling my 442 out of the closet and putting it up there. Totally didn't think about that.

More extra channels and deeper routing possibilities, vs much heavier, more DC.   The meter on the 302 isn't a lot smaller than that of the 442.  The only reason I would not want to wire the 302 into a cart is that it is so handy to have around loose!

41 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

More extra channels and deeper routing possibilities, vs much heavier, more DC.   The meter on the 302 isn't a lot smaller than that of the 442.  The only reason I would not want to wire the 302 into a cart is that it is so handy to have around loose!

I agree the 302 would be a more sleek solution. However, I have since pulled out my 442 and forgot how much resolution there is from 0/-20 - +20/0 . I might give it a whirl in my garage.

8D2C01FE-707E-409F-A8F2-0677A7938430.jpeg