Ambient pole sticking

chris_bollard

Hi all

I've got an Ambient QX5100 that's about 18 months old.

Great boom pole, however, the locking rings are strarting to stick. Sometimes it doesn't fully tighten and sometimes I can't undo the ring.

Anyone with experience in servicing the collar, o-ring, knurlled ring assembly

thanks

Hi all

I've got an Ambient QX5100 that's about 18 months old.

Great boom pole, however, the locking rings are strarting to stick. Sometimes it doesn't fully tighten and sometimes I can't undo the ring.

Anyone with experience in servicing the collar, o-ring, knurlled ring assembly

thanks

If you can, try taking it completely apart and wash it out with a liquid dish detergent mixed with water. Many times those problems are caused by an accumilation of sweat, grime, dirt, etc. that cause it to not grab when they should and lock up when they shouldn't.  Be sure to dry the parts and pole completely before reassembly.

Eric

Hi Chris,

The usual cause of locking problems is worn compression collets / rings. I have some clients who replace the collets every 12 to 18 months and others who might replace them after 5 years, It's a matter of use and environment - sand and grit can damage the compression collets.

Ambient supply a silicone grease that should be used on the assembly.

Here's the link to the boom maintenance publication on Ambient's web site: http://download.ambient.de/Ambient%20products/quickpole/Boom%20maintnance.pdf

David Madigan

(Ambient Dealer)

if you buy a tc slate from ambient now (bought mine in September 2008), that is what you get instead of the old 9V battery operated box. this one takes 2 x AA and has a switch inside the battery compartment which can switch the unit from tx to rx. i dont know if they have implemented the rx/tx option on the slate itself as yet.

-vin