Coolest Piece of Equipment You Own?

sciproductions

Going slightly insane in quarantine... spending too much time not working... strange, still feel a compulsion to geek out on sound equipment.

So I'd love to know everyone consider's their the coolest piece of sound equipment that they own? Could be a mic, mixer, a Zaxcom Nova, whatever!

Just would love to hear different peoples prized possessions!

For me I would have to say the Nova. Such a beautiful little beast. Once work picks up again I’d love to add a second 414. 

The ZMT-ph still makes me smile. So light and not having any cables to the bag is so freeing. Except for the days that you can’t remember where you just put your boom. 

Neat toys there! That Nova sure looks lovely! I am intrigued to see if the 4channel wisy can make the mixpre6 into a budget "mininova" in the future.

My Sanken CS3e is probably my coolest piece of equipment for location, that thing keeps wowing me.

This might be slightly off topic, but in downtime I also find my Oktatrack+Virus noisemachines quiet 'cool'

1: Neve audio phase meter.  Removed from a '70s Neve console and boxed up by someone with a lot of time on their hands, bought from Dan Alexander many years ago.  This has been a great way to keep composers delivering stereo music files to me honest about radical signal processing that could get us busted by PBS (etc) Tech Eval.  Sits where I can see it all the time when mixing.

2: Moog Source:  Left over from my time in The Residents, was used on the "Mole" tours.  All the usual Moog crunchy goodness but with a 16-slot patch memory and 2 small sequencers.  This one still saves its patches to an audio cassette.

3: Korg MS20:  Once owned by the keyboard virtuoso "Blue" Gene Tyranny.  Super flexible patch-over synth with an audio-to-CV convertor that came in very handy many many times over the years.  Great fast noise-maker.

4: My squadron of Schoeps SDC mics, for music recording mostly.  Sound great on anything, first mics out of the box almost always, esp when I have little or no time for mic comparisons (most of my music gigs).  You know when they look like.

IMG_7445.jpg

IMG_7447.jpg

IMG_7446.jpg

The humble Sound Devices 302.

I originally bought it as a pre/phantom supply for wireless booming. When I started doing livestreaming of government meetings I used it as an input expander for my F8n to add another two inputs. I built my own "RX Emergency" and converted the returns into inputs for presentations on laptops.

It's a 5 channel mixer with excellent metering and a really good headphone amp. It can run all day on a small battery (or even AAs). I think if I hit it with my car it would wreck the Honda- it's built like a tank. I'm really glad someone thought replacing it with a MixPre 3 was a good idea and sold it to me for $350.

8 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Neat toys there! That Nova sure looks lovely! I am intrigued to see if the 4channel wisy can make the mixpre6 into a budget "mininova" in the future.

Oh yes, that's a cool way to think of a MixPre/QuadRX combo! "MiniNova"

I've got the "MicroMiniNova" that many of us have: MixPre3 + Lectro SR

8 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

My Sanken CS3e is probably my coolest piece of equipment for location, that thing keeps wowing me.

That would have been my 2nd Runner Up choice for my list! Love mine too. 

Revaluating the original question I would probably have to say one of my Panamic poles. Don’t ask me to pick a favourite child. 

Coolest sound gear, well it’s not cool and it’s not sound gear. My sewing machine, tachit gun, soldering iron, Dremal, even a stick have all been instrumental in finding ways to capture better sound. 

Cheers Nate. 

36109108-55AE-4A08-8E52-6D0FD5C346C7.jpeg