Can Hollywood Survive Coronavirus?

mono

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
16 minutes ago, mono said:

Seems like Sound Devices has been playing a strong offense these last couple years with the 8 series.  Between the Audio Limited acquisition, CEDAR integration / plugins / and now Frame.io stuff, they seem to be going for that Apple-esque ecosystem where you can be a one stop shop with them.  I guess one could argue that Zaxcom started that with their whole ecosystem of products but it's interesting to see Sound Devices now go down that road too.

That Wired article is clueless and reads like a paid advertisement for frame.Io. Say what you will about the usefulness of the technology (software really) it’s not going to do anything tangible to help keep crews “safe” on set. Honestly, claiming that something like this is the answer to the question of how to film safely during a pandemic is an insult. 

I love sound devices but I cringe at the thought of a production insisting I use a particular brand/model of anything to facilitate this kind of nonsense. 

On 2/12/2021 at 4:20 PM, Derek H said:

I love sound devices but I cringe at the thought of a production insisting I use a particular brand/model of anything to facilitate this kind of nonsense. 

If production is happy to pay the extra rental on top, then I'm happy to cater to whatever special workflow they want to do.

I don't see this thing becoming part of any shoot that doesn't have extensive pre-production.  It's not going to be something used on "show up, mic up and push record" kinds of jobs, especially short-schedule ones.  If a big/long job wants this it will have to get built in to the whole deal from the start.  Remember that camera files are part of this too, and the camera dept buying in to this or not will probably determine whether it happens or not (ie not the sound dept).

I would honestly be surprised to see this take off on “big jobs” either. I would assume the studios would have security concerns in sending sensitive footage over a network.
I think, as someone alluded to earlier, something like news could be a viable application. Maybe studio sitcoms ? Certain commercials?

15 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

I don't see this thing becoming part of any shoot that doesn't have extensive pre-production.  It's not going to be something used on "show up, mic up and push record" kinds of jobs, especially short-schedule ones.  If a big/long job wants this it will have to get built in to the whole deal from the start.  Remember that camera files are part of this too, and the camera dept buying in to this or not will probably determine whether it happens or not (ie not the sound dept).

Yup, even if we in the sound department are pushing for this (we're not!) it would still be totally meaningless and go nowhere if the camera dept wasn't totally 100% on board. 

If there is a push, it will come from either the producers themselves or from post production, or both. And even then, it will only happen if camera dept supports it can gets on board too. 

And yes, it won't be normal on short day or two shoots, this will happen first on long jobs which have the time for preproduction. 

Maybe in another decade or so it will filter down to the short notice quick jobs. 

14 hours ago, Wyatt Tuzo said:

I would honestly be surprised to see this take off on “big jobs” either. I would assume the studios would have security concerns in sending sensitive footage over a network.

That's what frame.io is meant to be doing, taking care of those security concerns.