RIP: Cinematographer Allen Daviau Dies of COVID-19 at 77

al mcguire

RIP Mr. Daviau,

I had the opportunity to work with Allen many times on high-profile commercials,  music videos and while doing the BTS  and second unit sound on "E.T. The Extra Terrestrial" in the 80s and 90s. 

He was always the gentleman and never put his own ego above the craft.  He was a perfectionist and would always 

fight for the time and money to do things right.  I had many enlightening discussions with Allen where we were both interested in new technology and the upcoming transition to the digital age of photography and sound. He was always co-operative and would always do what he could to help out sound in the more challenging setups.  He was always willing to share his talent and extensive knowledge with students and fledgling cinematographers.   We will all miss him.

Well said Courtney. I did many commercials with Allen and it was always a pleasure to work with him. Outstanding and provocative conversations were the norm with Allen. One of the best was on a commercial shot out in the desert, the company stayed at the Bun Boy hotel and restaurant for a week and we'd all gather there after work as there was nowhere else to go, and the conversations would wind around and through all things film, Allen holding court, like a jovial professor engaged in a topic he loved. Sad to see another good man gone. RIP Allen.

CrewC