Timecode & AVX latency

Sunfeltsky

Hi,

New to the community and learning quite a bit about location sound mixing. I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light in regards to using a timecode device with the following gear.  I would like to add Tentacle Sync(s) and/or UltraSync One(s) to speed up post production within Davinci Resolve Studio.  Since the Sennheiser AVX system introduces 19ms of latency, I would have to compensate the boom mic for that latency within my Zoom F8/F6. If the audio sync is now off from the video timecode by 19ms, how can I address this before bringing the project into my NLE?  Is there some kind of compensation within the recorder or timecode device that compensates for this discrepancy?

------------------------------

2 - Red 5K/8K

1 - Zoom F8 or F6

3 - Sennheiser AVX Lav Systems

1 - Sennheiser 500 EW4 Boom Mic

------------------------------

The Zoom F8 offers audio offset (input/output delay) on each channel. Check the manual for specifics (because I sure don't know them).

And like Al says, 19ms isn't a bunch. At  30fps, you're talking about 33ms per frame. At 24fps, about 42ms. That's top of my head, so double check. But you're not talking about a lot of delay. 

And Bouke makes solid software. So that's a good thing too. And I'd guess there's an offset option in Resolve; haven't looked, though.

Finally, I get that it might not be your call, but production could consider spending less money on cameras and a bit more on sound.