Deity BP-TX 2 Announced

Mattias Larsen

10 minutes ago, DanieldH said:

Will that be the case with the Duo RX?

Might there even be an Android app on a bigger screen connected via USB to do so?

Also with the BP-TRX; if you put one TRX in RX mode, it can both receive and control the other TRX (actually, every other Deity TX). So yeah, both the DUO-RX and the BP-TRX can remote control any TX of the connect line. 

No an app will not come and was never the idea; the philosophy is that we want dedicated buttons, knobs, menus, screens to do the things. The screen is small but it is so straight forward, very intuitive and easy to navigate. 

• 1 month later...

Has anyone bought a set of one of these yet and put it through a good test?  Curious to know how well the camera hop (TC+Audio) feature is working out for folks as I am in need of purchasing some new TC boxes anyways and this might be a good solution to combine the hop + TC on the cheap.

47 minutes ago, codyman said:

Has anyone bought a set of one of these yet and put it through a good test?  Curious to know how well the camera hop (TC+Audio) feature is working out for folks as I am in need of purchasing some new TC boxes anyways and this might be a good solution to combine the hop + TC on the cheap.

Not released as of yet; expectation is around the end of summer/Q3.

Hey Vincent,

thnx so far for all the information. I have a couple of questions.

- What kits/sets will you offer for the EU market? Will they come in a hardcase like the Connect sets? Will there be an option for the W.Lav Micro?

- Where can I download manuals for the HD-TX and the Duo-RX and in the future the BP-TRX?

- How long can we expect parts and services for the BP-TRX (or any other current product of the Deity wireless ecosystem or lavaliers)?

- Could the stereo TRS work as a balanced mono input or would that be possible in future firmwares?

- Do the BP-TRX or HD-TX lock in any way to external timecodes? What is the procedure?

- What is the difference between RX mode and IEM mode?

- Could you provide a preliminary manual or menu/setting tree to see how this works?

Thnx so far

56 minutes ago, DanieldH said:

- What kits/sets will you offer for the EU market? Will they come in a hardcase like the Connect sets? Will there be an option for the W.Lav Micro?

The BP-TRX will come in a solo version, a "timecode kit" (2x BP-TRX with accessories like TC cables, exact cables/bundle will be disclosed soon) and a "deluxe kit" (hard case, DUO-RX, 2X BP TRX, 2x W.Lav Pro black and a bunch of cables, exact details will be disclosed soon).

- Where can I download manuals for the HD-TX and the Duo-RX and in the future the BP-TRX?

On our website, the new BP-TRX not yet, but we will post it on the site close to release.

- How long can we expect parts and services for the BP-TRX (or any other current product of the Deity wireless ecosystem or lavaliers)?

We have service and RMA handling in Europe (Just outside Amsterdam NL) North America (L.A.) and Asia, If there is something that needs to be addressed it can be done fairly quickly, with shipping/cargo obviously in mind. Generally speaking the local dealer's service centre is the 'in-between' in EU, per EU regulations (point of purchase is the first responsable for RMA dealings), but so you know, we have local headquarters to deal with this sort of stuff.

- Could the stereo TRS work as a balanced mono input or would that be possible in future firmwares?

Not as of yet, i have to check if that is doable, I don't think so. Currently we have the HD-TX with a balanced XLR input (and Phantom power).

- Do the BP-TRX or HD-TX lock in any way to external timecodes? What is the procedure?

Exactly how you are used to from the other brands; you can jam the BP-TRX with any TC box/recorder (SMTPE TC) via the TRS output/input. The HD-TX does not have TC.

- What is the difference between RX mode and IEM mode?

RX is one to one receiver mode (call it traditional mode, one RX to one TX), IEM is "multicast" mode, one TX can be send out to up to 3 BP-TRX's which you set to IEM, so hook up a headphone and you have an IEM.

- Could you provide a preliminary manual or menu/setting tree to see how this works?

Not at the moment, obviously if I do can, I will post it. 

Thnx for your explanations.

22 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

On our website, the new BP-TRX not yet, but we will post it on the site close to release.

Supposing you mean https://www.deitymic.com/support/downloads/,I can find manuals for 5 mics or so, mostly discontinued, but none for TX/RX devices or most of your current products as of now. Do I look at the wrong place?

RX is one to one receiver mode (call it traditional mode, one RX to one TX), IEM is "multicast" mode, one TX can be send out to up to 3 BP-TRX's which you set to IEM, so hook up a headphone and you have an IEM.

- I still don't get it. What is the advantage for RX over IEM mode? Reliability? Can it request re-transmissions more than the IEM mode? Do they have the same latency?

- Why 3 IEMs, not 2 or ∞?

- Does the performance decrease with each added IEM? (And while we are at it, does the performance decrease when adding more pairs of RX/TX?)

- Can IEM mode receive/output a signal sent from a HD-TX or BP-TX (in their current or possibly future firmwares)?

Exactly how you are used to from the other brands; you can jam the BP-TRX with any TC box/recorder (SMTPE TC) via the TRS output/input.

- Could 2 BP-TRX transport TC from TRS to TRS and/or display it on it's screen? This could be very useful in playback and "rec run" situations.

- If I would want to feed up to 3 cameras with (rec run) timecode, would I just send it via the audio channel and have all RX on cameras in IEM mode?

Some more general questions:

- Could a RX + rec + TC mode be added in the future? (to receive and record a HD-TX with TC?

- Could the DuoRX have an IEM mode in the future?

- Are the different boot modes due to the nature of some of the hardware or is this part of the user interface concept?

- Is the battery user serviceable under warranty (or beyond more or less as easy as a modern smartphone)?

Thnx

P.S.:

- Does the recorder just stop recording when the SD card is full, or is there an option to overwrite the oldest takes?

- Could there be an option to start recording as soon as it is powered on (or when it receives power via USB or timecode wirelessly or via TRS)?

7 minutes ago, DanieldH said:

- I still don't get it. What is the advantage for RX over IEM mode?

The usual Deity TX can't be paired with more than one RX
But IEM mode allows more. 

8 minutes ago, DanieldH said:

I'd imagine it is a bandwidth limitation. 
Just like how RodeLinks can't have more than 8 pairs in total. 
And Deity Connects can't have more than four pairs in total?

3 hours ago, DanieldH said:

Supposing you mean https://www.deitymic.com/support/downloads/,I can find manuals for 5 mics or so, mostly discontinued, but none for TX/RX devices or most of your current products as of now. Do I look at the wrong place?

There is one on the Connect kit user page, scroll down and click on support. The site is in overhaul at the moment and the rest will be added to the new one.

- I still don't get it. What is the advantage for RX over IEM mode? Reliability? Can it request re-transmissions more than the IEM mode? Do they have the same latency?

We do not use the traditional audio to RF conversions/transmitting (be it analogue with a compander, or digital wise) you can compare our way with a digital SDI video transmitter;

As written above, because of the tech we use, we are limited to a max amount of bandwidth, just like aforementioned SDI transmitter receiver systems. So it is UP TO 3, which obviously means also 1 and 2 IEM's will work.

- Does the performance decrease with each added IEM? (And while we are at it, does the performance decrease when adding more pairs of RX/TX?)

No. 

- Can IEM mode receive/output a signal sent from a HD-TX or BP-TX (in their current or possibly future firmwares)?

That is the idea from the get go; all units in the Connect family will talk with each other.

- Could 2 BP-TRX transport TC from TRS to TRS and/or display it on it's screen? This could be very useful in playback and "rec run" situations.

If I understand you correctly; the jammed or generated signal is already displayed on the screen. If you wanna use a BP-TRX kit as a wireless (audio) LTC transmitter you can do that, although it is worth to mention the (jammed) TC drift will be off less then a frame in 24h, on par with the systems out there. 

- If I would want to feed up to 3 cameras with (rec run) timecode, would I just send it via the audio channel and have all RX on cameras in IEM mode?

If not rec run, you can just Jam every IEM with the master TC and use the stereo/2 channel audio as a scratch feed . For Rec run you have to go (audio) LTC yes.

- Could a RX + rec + TC mode be added in the future? (to receive and record a HD-TX with TC?

I have to get back to you on that.

I don't fully understand that. The Duo RX already is a receiver with a headphone option out.

- Are the different boot modes due to the nature of some of the hardware or is this part of the user interface concept?

Design concept; you boot the unit up in the desired function, so the menu and input/outputs correspond with that what is needed for the occasion.

- Is the battery user serviceable under warranty (or beyond more or less as easy as a modern smartphone)?

Failure under warranty is always on us, no matter what, and will be done by us, to fulfill the rest of the warranty time. Outside warranty it is surfacable by us, the dealer, or we can send you over a replacement kit.

- Does the recorder just stop recording when the SD card is full, or is there an option to overwrite the oldest takes?

It stops ("card full" notification, also you can see on the RX that it stopped) but I will forward your idea because it is a good one.

- Could there be an option to start recording as soon as it is powered on (or when it receives power via USB or timecode wirelessly or via TRS)?

I also will also forward this idea as a "user request" 😉

Thnx again,

7 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

There is one on the Connect kit user page, scroll down and click on support.

Great, I found it.

- Do I understand this right?:

There is an RX mode only 1 unit may be in (per Deity TX, for reasons of tech/ergonomics) and an IEM mode, additional 3 units can be in receiving the same TX. The modes perform equally (in terms of range/reliability/latency), the only other difference is the output configuration (pin assignment/voltage levels/impedance/whatever) to serve a mic/line input vs a headphone. The use case for multiple units outputting mic/line is not provided. The camera hop mode is concurrent to the RX mode, as in: 1 TX cannot serve 1 unit in RX mode + 1 in camera hop mode.

8 hours ago, Vincent R. said:
11 hours ago, DanieldH said:

[...] (And while we are at it, does the performance decrease when adding more pairs of RX/TX?)

No. 

How many TX/RX could reasonably be operated within that system in 2,4Ghz silent environment and in a WiFi crowded environment?

If you wanna use a BP-TRX kit as a wireless (audio) LTC transmitter you can do that

Could the TX "listen" to that LTC and display it on screen?

11 hours ago, DanieldH said:

I don't fully understand that. The Duo RX already is a receiver with a headphone option out.

One may wish to operate more than one Duo RX on the same TX.

10 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

If not rec run, you can just Jam every IEM with the master TC and use the stereo/2 channel audio as a scratch feed .

Ok, now I am confused completely. The BP-TRX has a stereo input e.g. for stereo recording but transmits and receives a mono audio signal, correct?. In camera hop mode, it outputs mono and a previously synced TC on the TRS. Where is the second channel coming from in IEM mode?

1 hour ago, DanieldH said:

How many TX/RX could reasonably be operated within that system in 2,4Ghz silent environment and in a WiFi crowded environment?

we advise 4, but technically it can be higher (some use it with 6 channels). We also are sending a back (remote controlling) over a different channel. So that let us say, 4 channels of TX, means 8 channels in use. The US has 11 channels legally available, EU 13, Asia up to 14, depends where.

Could the TX "listen" to that LTC and display it on screen?

No

One may wish to operate more than one Duo RX on the same TX.

Ah gotcha, will forward your user request. As of now no. 

Ok, now I am confused completely. The BP-TRX has a stereo input e.g. for stereo recording but transmits and receives a mono audio signal, correct?. In camera hop mode, it outputs mono and a previously synced TC on the TRS. Where is the second channel coming from in IEM mode?

The whole Connect series is stereo/2 channel. The HD-TX, BP-TRX record stereo, the BP-TX, HD-TX & BP-TRX transmits a stereo signal. I see you are in Hamburg Germany; I consulted the local branch of one of the German national public broadcasters; they use a couple of connect kits at the moment for a stereo camera hop. One BP-TX in the audio bag, a Duo-TX on camera receiving a stereo audio feed from the sound mixer. The new BP-TRX will do the same, yet since it is just for one TX, more portable and convenient for on camera. 

Disclaimer; I am talking a bit from top of mind atm. All this said; we are close to finalize the production versions, I will receive the engineering prototypes soon, so I can give you some really detailed explanations, and how to's as well how it will work exactly. give me a week or 2 😉.

14 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

I will receive the engineering prototypes soon, so I can give you some really detailed explanations, and how to's as well how it will work exactly.

Awesome, I am looking forward to this as I might be an early adopter. Good to have brand representatives here who knows our needs.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, sciproductions said:

Oh wow, I'm very surprised to see it gone. I thought there were already planning on shipping.

Patent issues?

Apparently their main website crashed and they had to resort to a backup version that was not up to date, lacking some products

I highly doubt it has been canceled, I know they're really close to a final shipping version. Shipments starting (I would take a wild guess...) are only just around the corner from happening?

This is going to be a really great "swiss army knife" to have in your tool kit, I was just demonstrating it to a friend today. 

On 8/30/2020 at 8:48 AM, rolyosb said:

Apparently their main website crashed and they had to resort to a backup version that was not up to date, lacking some products

Yup. Our web server crashed last week from the overwhelming traffic from V-Mic D4 DUO launch so we had to do a quick DNS transfer to a backup website. The BP-TRX is far from being cancelled. We are now deep in beta testing and actually have units currently out on a few film sets here in the US and in the Netherlands.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, karlis said:

I've got a question about latency. If I'm using the Deity wireless system for my incoming signal and then my outgoing signal (camera hop) from my recorder, do I have an effective latency of 38ms (19ms x 2) going into the camera?

+ whatever latency your recorder has.

Apparently, a single system can even be set to 40ms to increase stability, so this would add up even more.

I am not sure though, If the setup you suggest would work or be advisable. As I understood, the DuoRX have a cable to permanently "negotiate" frequencies between them. The BP-TRX (in RX mode) seem not to have such a socket, maybe they do this wirelessly or via USB or not at all. So, so far it is unclear, if a setup with multiple RX (on different TX) in one room is provided. I guess, we'll soon get more info.

Edit: The cable is called sync cable and resides on the USB socket, so this might be the same with the BP-TRX.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:04 PM, DanieldH said:

+ whatever latency your recorder has.

Apparently, a single system can even be set to 40ms to increase stability, so this would add up even more.

I am not sure though, If the setup you suggest would work or be advisable. As I understood, the DuoRX have a cable to permanently "negotiate" frequencies between them. The BP-TRX (in RX mode) seem not to have such a socket, maybe they do this wirelessly or via USB or not at all. So, so far it is unclear, if a setup with multiple RX (on different TX) in one room is provided. I guess, we'll soon get more info.

Edit: The cable is called sync cable and resides on the USB socket, so this might be the same with the BP-TRX.

It's been documented that it's possible to link two DuoRX's together. My question rather lies in what Deity's concept is for a full soundbag solution using only their products. Seems infeasible if there's around 40ms of latency combined.

32 minutes ago, DanieldH said:

My impression is, that their core market are videographers.

Yes ok, but this thread is about Deity announcing a new product that touts features like Camera hop/IEM/TC -- features that aren't primarily associated with videographers. They already had Tx's and Rx's and a XLR plug-on Tx before this product.