Deity BP-TX 2 Announced

Mattias Larsen

5 hours ago, karlis said:

It's been documented that it's possible to link two DuoRX's together. My question rather lies in what Deity's concept is for a full soundbag solution using only their products. Seems infeasible if there's around 40ms of latency combined.

from a technical point of view you are correct that indeed the ms add up. Though from our point of view we see this as camera hops for scratch audio, not for final delivery, as you record that audio on your device. 

3 hours ago, DanieldH said:

My impression is, that their core market are videographers.

That is one tier of the market, the other is the location sound mixer, with the shotgun microphone series the w.lav pro and micro lavaliers, and the wireless systems towards the beginners/ENG teams, and who knows what will come in the nearby future that might strike your curiosity 😉

14 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

from a technical point of view you are correct that indeed the ms add up. Though from our point of view we see this as camera hops for scratch audio, not for final delivery, as you record that audio on your device. 

Thanks for the answer! As a camera hop it would mean always telling the editor/post to drag the sound ~20ms back on the scratch track before syncing it up with the recorder audio, which would probably surprise a crew member if not annoy them.

As an IEM it would mean that a director would get 40ms delayed audio from the source (if Deity is used for both going in and out of the recorder), which would probably render them nervous and confused why the monitor/sound is not in sync (40ms = 1frame@25fps).
On set nobody really cares about what gear you use, things have to go fast and smooth, nobody wants to think about technical limitations like that. It's a hassle to say the least.

I really love the concepts you guys are going with, but the latency adding up seems to be a dealbreaker to some degree. I might still go for the Deity Connect, but most retailers in Europe seem to be out of stock/awaiting stock (?).

43 minutes ago, karlis said:

Thanks for the answer! As a camera hop it would mean always telling the editor/post to drag the sound ~20ms back on the scratch track before syncing it up with the recorder audio, which would probably surprise a crew member if not annoy them.

Most likely post will replace the scratch track with the recorded audio? And uses TC with that. 

44 minutes ago, karlis said:

As an IEM it would mean that a director would get 40ms delayed audio from the source (if Deity is used for both going in and out of the recorder), which would probably render them nervous and confused why the monitor/sound is not in sync (40ms = 1frame@25fps).
On set nobody really cares about what gear you use, things have to go fast and smooth, nobody wants to think about technical limitations like that. It's a hassle to say the least.

Your calculations are correct, but keep in mind that most cameras also have an SDI output latency. Take RED cameras for example, that goes up to 3 frames, depends on the frame settings. Most cameras have about 2 frames SDI output latency.

48 minutes ago, karlis said:

I really love the concepts you guys are going with, but the latency adding up seems to be a dealbreaker to some degree. I might still go for the Deity Connect, but most retailers in Europe seem to be out of stock/awaiting stock (?).

For some reason the pandemic did not affect sales, and indeed we are low/out of stock; delivery to dealers should start next week again. If you really want to get a proper estimate of arrival, let your dealer contact us so we can make a more exact estimate, or contact them to find out if they have some in pre-order with us, because to be honest, these kits goes fast at the moment. 

6 hours ago, karlis said:

20ms is half a frame at 24/25fps, usually nobody will notice except the sound people.

but as mentioned by others, it's going to be replaced by the multitrack audio anyway and that is usually synched by timecode.

6 hours ago, karlis said:

on HDMI you usually end up with 1-3frames delay on picture anyway, so it will actually help to keep things in sync : )

but even if you have a zero latency video feed, 1 frame is not really bad.

and if he's looking at the actors directly instead of the monitor (yeah, right) then the sound through the air and through the IEM will actually be in sync.

• 1 month later...

I would love to buy some deity connect systems in Germany but I am still not sure if I can use it the way I intend.

I would like to use six transmitters on my six talents to record audio locally from the lav input with Timecode to sd card and transmit the audio signal simultaneously. Then I have one Timecode generator on the camera whose Timecode is synced wirelessly to all transmitters as well.

And last but not least I would like to use one duo receiver just to monitor the transmitters and switch between them with the touch of a button.

So I can select which talent I am listening to right now without diving in the menu.

Then in post I just load all audio files from the transmitters and video from the camera and sync everything via Timecode.

It’s all of this possible?
Thanks for your help!

6 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

I do not think that is possible. Why not just use the PFL or solo in the mixer or recorder to selectivly monitor.

Because I don’t want to carry a bag at all for this gig..

Do you know what is not possible?

record locally to sd with Timecode while transmitting?

Monitor six channels by switching?

sync Timecode wirelessly?

35 minutes ago, Sound said:

Because I don’t want to carry a bag at all for this gig..

Do you know what is not possible?

record locally to sd with Timecode while transmitting?

Monitor six channels by switching?

sync Timecode wirelessly?

Switching is (by just a push of a button) not possible; due to the nature of our protocol, you need to have access to the TX to be able to PAİR a TX to an RX.

Recording to SD whilst transmitting is possible (worldwide, except units sold in US), syncing wireless is not needed, you jam it in the morning once, and you are good for the day, just like you would jam your TC device (or BP-TRX, since it is a plain TC device as well 😉) for the camera.

8 minutes ago, Vincent R. said:

Yes, I just updated my post above you. No need for that, since it stays in sync all day (and more).

Thanks! So I can monitor using an audio bag and three receivers? But the audio files are recorded to sd card with Timecode while transmitting the signal? In the end i can still just sync the video with all audio files from the separate sd cards?

Just now, Sound said:

Thanks! So I can monitor using an audio bag and three receivers? But the audio files are recorded to sd card with Timecode while transmitting the signal? In the end i can still just sync the video with all audio files from the separate sd cards?

Yes the TC will be stamped in the audio file, just like you are used to from your audio recorder, so at the end of the they indeed it is loading the cards, and go. You can even remote roll (press record) from the RX, so no need to roll all day. 

Just now, DanieldH said:

If wireless TC could be implemented in the control channel, it may just be more convenient and save the cables sync process in the morning. 

For sake of simplicity and keeping the whole signal flow of TC separate from the rest, it is a deliberate choice to do it the conventional way. But your suggestion is noted 😉

55 minutes ago, Vincent R. said:

Yes the TC will be stamped in the audio file, just like you are used to from your audio recorder, so at the end of the they indeed it is loading the cards, and go. You can even remote roll (press record) from the RX, so no need to roll all day. 

For sake of simplicity and keeping the whole signal flow of TC separate from the rest, it is a deliberate choice to do it the conventional way. But your suggestion is noted 😉

Thanks! Do I get a warning when the battery is about to die? Visually on the display of the receiver or via audio?

Just now, Sound said:

Thanks! Do I get a warning when the battery is about to die? Visually on the display of the receiver or via audio?

Yes. And you can also set the TX in "sleep" remotely from the RX, in case you need to go over the 10 to 12 h. battery life.

37 minutes ago, rossblackmore said:

Am I just missing something obvious but the BP-TRX doesn't seem to be listed on Deitymic's website?

Was keen to read more about it, and check the specs.

No you did not miss anything. The site is in overhaul at the moment, so only the current offerings are showing. In time before the actual release all the specs will be online obviously. In the meantime you can scroll back this thread to read all I have said about this, that is basically what we can disclose publicly anyways at this moment.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When the time comes, will it be possible for us to replace the rechargeable battery in the BP-TRX ourselves, or will the unit need to be sent back to the local manufacture's rep?   Also, if we are able to replace them ourselves, do they use some "standard" rechargeable that can obtained from other sources, or are they proprietary?

Thanks.

Tom

15 hours ago, TomBoisseau said:

When the time comes, will it be possible for us to replace the rechargeable battery in the BP-TRX ourselves, or will the unit need to be sent back to the local manufacture's rep?   Also, if we are able to replace them ourselves, do they use some "standard" rechargeable that can obtained from other sources, or are they proprietary?

I think Deity has already mentioned in the past about how their existing products have batteries which can be replaced in the future, thus I'd assume this would be likely true for their new products too?