Deity BP-TX 2 Announced

Mattias Larsen

• 2 weeks later...

I mean, good on them for finally getting it out the door.  I don't blame them for the delay given how 2020 made the earth stand still for a bit.  Looking forward to seeing the final unit and possibly purchasing several for camera scratch + TC.

Does the usb-c audio interface on it support both stereo in and out audio?  Might pair well with a little MixPre to make a mini ENG rig that could spit out audio + TC to cameras but by using the USB audio instead of the unbalanced connections on the lower end MixPres.

2 hours ago, Sound said:

There doesn’t seem to be an option to switch between transmitters for monitoring. So no replacement for a sound bag.

Correct. There is not option to scroll thru different transmitters via a single receiver.

These aren't really meant to replace a sound bag but rather act as auxiliary wireless systems for users on a forum like JWSound. For users on this forum these would work best as camera hops or timecode based plant mic recorders like car rigs.  Kally Williams has been using them for the past week as a camera hop on her shoots. Here is what she had to say about it. https://www.instagram.com/p/CPT6oYCJ4lH/

I asked a few questions on the live stream but they were not answered.

1) Is the delay still 19ms? (Curtis Judd did tell me that it is).

2) Is there an option to add plug-in's, something like noise assist? I asked this because Andrew mentioned that the BP-TRX is "just like a computer"

3) When will it actually ship?

4) If you use 1 BP-TRX as a transmitter and set up another one as a camera hop or IEM to transmit to other BP-TRX's on cameras, or acting as IEM's, can you then listen "live" and still record in the US?

I think, based on my limited audio knowledge as well as my understanding of how these might work for me, they seen better suited as a camera hop / IEM system rather than a traditional audio capture system.

2 hours ago, Justin Allen said:

I asked a few questions on the live stream but they were not answered.

1) Is the delay still 19ms? (Curtis Judd did tell me that it is).

2) Is there an option to add plug-in's, something like noise assist? I asked this because Andrew mentioned that the BP-TRX is "just like a computer"

3) When will it actually ship?

4) If you use 1 BP-TRX as a transmitter and set up another one as a camera hop or IEM to transmit to other BP-TRX's on cameras, or acting as IEM's, can you then listen "live" and still record in the US?

I think, based on my limited audio knowledge as well as my understanding of how these might work for me, they seen better suited as a camera hop / IEM system rather than a traditional audio capture system.

1) Everything is roughly the same here. We are still using latency as a way to allow for multiple retransmissions of a data packet if there is a blimp of interference to smooth over any dropped signals.  Same latency modes as the rest. It will connect to "legacy gear" but we did give it a stronger ARM chip and more nanflash for firmware storage that did allow us to add a heavily modified version of our 2.4G protocol so we could do a 1 to 4 multicast. But at it's core is still the same protocol.

2) Yes and no. You wouldn't install it as a stand alone "plugin" but rather we'd upgrade your firmware to have V2.XX and we added XYZ extra features. I won't commit to noise assist but... there is onboard DSP and an ARM CPU so... there is room to grow. How much reduction would you want though? Would you really want it at the further up stage in a gain stage structure or would you rather recorder it in someone's pocket as clean as possible and add it later like in post? A lot of people don't like to do more than a gentile low cut in the field.

3) They are sitting in the our US and EU warehouses right now. Letting dealers collect pre-orders. Some regions will ship sooner than later but customers should be getting their units mid-June.

4)  I'm a little confused as what you are asking here or what your pairing to what. 

5)  For you it might be better as a camera hop. For videographers it might work well as a single channel wireless kit one day and work as 2 audio recorders the next for a wedding. They can be what you need for the day. 

6 hours ago, Andrew From Deity said:

Correct. There is not option to scroll thru different transmitters via a single receiver.

These aren't really meant to replace a sound bag but rather act as auxiliary wireless systems for users on a forum like JWSound. For users on this forum these would work best as camera hops or timecode based plant mic recorders like car rigs.  Kally Williams has been using them for the past week as a camera hop on her shoots. Here is what she had to say about it. https://www.instagram.com/p/CPT6oYCJ4lH/

Thanks! So you recommend me to continue to use my Uwp-d system from Sony in a sound bag and add this as a camera hop or IEM? I think of using them as an IEM for my sound bag so I don’t have to wear it the whole time. Will this work with the latency of 19 ms? It will add to the minimal latency of my analog wireless and the latency of the recorder..

4 hours ago, Andrew From Deity said:

1) Everything is roughly the same here. We are still using latency as a way to allow for multiple retransmissions of a data packet if there is a blimp of interference to smooth over any dropped signals. 

The Internet community published an interesting development several years ago.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5984

That should help to overcome the delay due to retransmissions ;)

7 hours ago, Andrew From Deity said:

This means you dont recommend them as recorders on a talent? Why?

Can the internal recording be trusted 100 percent?

I was hoping, I could just use four of them on my talents an sync everything in post, but I guess this could make some problems.

Even one frame drift in 24 hours could be a problem when I need accurate audio sync.

2 hours ago, Sound said:

I was hoping, I could just use four of them on my talents an sync everything in post, but I guess this could make some problems.

Even one frame drift in 24 hours could be a problem when I need accurate audio sync.

the drift is the least of the problems. The main problem to record without monitoring is that you dont notice problems like cloth noise, dislocated lavs or cables etc.

48 minutes ago, chrismedr said:

the drift is the least of the problems. The main problem to record without monitoring is that you dont notice problems like cloth noise, dislocated lavs or cables etc.

I would buy two sets with two duo receivers, then add a simple audio switch to switch between the two receivers for monitoring. It’s not very flexible but small. This way I can monitor four channels from a small bag.. 

8 hours ago, Sound said:

If one frame drift in 24 hours is your biggest worry then you have no problems. The batteries in these things „only“ last about 12 hours, so in theory you should never have more than 1/2 frame drift. You will never get sample accurate operation with mere tc, if that’s what you’re hoping for. If you add in a camera the best you can hope for is anything within +/- 1 frame anyway in any given take. 

Promising... very cool features for sure. would be cool paired with my sonosax M2D2 mic preamp for instance.

I'm almost about to pull the trigger on a timecode kit set...

...I just want some "honest reviews" before going with it. Some people talked about The Signal / Noise ratio on the older connect system... (wich has been  fixed with a FW update IIRC)

The other concern is about the latency. I wanna be sure it's a consistent 19 ms , but I had some chat with another PSM who told me that it was not consistent, making the use as a camera hop a bit complicated. something with the digital transmission protocol used. Would love to know more about that issue before buying. Those are concerns That I only heard, so be cautious with these rumors and do not take it as a fact.

12 hours ago, Sound said:

Thanks! So you recommend me to continue to use my Uwp-d system from Sony in a sound bag and add this as a camera hop or IEM? I think of using them as an IEM for my sound bag so I don’t have to wear it the whole time. Will this work with the latency of 19 ms? It will add to the minimal latency of my analog wireless and the latency of the recorder..

For your setup that would work perfectly. 

11 hours ago, Sound said:

We do recommend them for talent lavs but as I said before they best work for JWSound users as cameras hops because  I'm assuming most members of this forum have spent $20K-40K on wireless from other brands. The max transmitter limit of 4 will prevent their usage as talent lavs for most members of JW also. But as a camera hop, not many productions run more than 4 cameras. 

If you are doing ENG work, small bag work, small HGTV reality shows were its a real estate agent and a couple... ya. The BP-TRX would work perfect for your use case as a talent lavalier system. 

5 hours ago, Constantin said:

If one frame drift in 24 hours is your biggest worry then you have no problems. The batteries in these things „only“ last about 12 hours, so in theory you should never have more than 1/2 frame drift. You will never get sample accurate operation with mere tc, if that’s what you’re hoping for. If you add in a camera the best you can hope for is anything within +/- 1 frame anyway in any given take. 

If you turn off the transmission feature and use them as a pocket recorder you will get +21hrs of operation. 

4 hours ago, igomarsound said:

The other concern is about the latency. I wanna be sure it's a consistent 19 ms , but I had some chat with another PSM who told me that it was not consistent, making the use as a camera hop a bit complicated. something with the digital transmission protocol used. Would love to know more about that issue before buying. Those are concerns That I only heard, so be cautious with these rumors and do not take it as a fact.

It is a consistent 19ms. It's not based on transmission range or distance between devices. The 19ms is related to the audio buffer in the transmitter that handles retransmissions of data packets. This gives the receiver a few milliseconds to check for any packet loss, request a retransmission from the transmitter and for the transmitter to submit it so the receiver can insert the missing data before it hits the DAC and sends audio out to your recording device. 

What happens if Therese units get  very popular? So you arrive at some location and two other broadcast teams are using some trx? Will I still be able to use mine? You said there is maximum of four in total.

And because they have such a big output, they could easily interfere.

Does the TRX have a stereo mic input? I have one lav with normal level on L and  -12dB on the R channel. I also sometimes use two lavs as AB-Stereo atmo setup (wired to one trs plug) and would like to record and transmit both channels using the TRX.

Thanks,

Johannes