Deity BP-TX 2 Announced

Mattias Larsen

16 hours ago, Sound said:

I found the answer on their website:

"My Deity Connect system works fine but when I turn on my second kit i notice I get tons of dropouts.

Make sure when you are using transmitters that are paired to different receivers that you use the USB-C Master Slave Sync cable. Plug in the USB-C Master Slave Sync cable to both receivers to sync them up. This will help prevent your transmitters from hopping to the same frequency at the same time."

https://deitymic.com/duo-rx/

I guess that means:

If theres anybody else near you using the same deity products or even 2.4 ghz rode, you are screwed..

Screenshot 2021-05-30 at 20.28.28.png

I don't think that you got the point here.

What they mean is, that if you're using 2 Duo RX in the same bag - or at least very close to each other - you need to sync them so they won't use the same frequencies.

What's interesting is what 'close' actually means for us.

I think crowded places e.g. press conferences, sports, concerts and similar events are not made for reliable 2,4GHz wireless.

It's always a good idea to be covered for those moments with trad. UHF wireless for that reason alone.

But out in the wild, shooting docos in private rooms etc. That's where the 2,4GHz systems like Deity's will shine hopefully.

I will have 2x DUO RX, 2x simple TX plus 2-3 TRX and that will make for a nice small and very affordable doco wireless system that can handle nearly every situation from up to 4 talents or 2 talents and 2-3 camera hops or IEMs or recorders or whatever you need.

If you fear that Deity's 2,4GHz wireless isn't safe enough for you, just use the TRX as a recorder/TX and it will still be safe as can be.

43 minutes ago, kavenzmann said:

I don't think that you got the point here.

What they mean is, that if you're using 2 Duo RX in the same bag - or at least very close to each other - you need to sync them so they won't use the same frequencies.

What's interesting is what 'close' actually means for us.

I think crowded places e.g. press conferences, sports, concerts and similar events are not made for reliable 2,4GHz wireless.

It's always a good idea to be covered for those moments with trad. UHF wireless for that reason alone.

But out in the wild, shooting docos in private rooms etc. That's where the 2,4GHz systems like Deity's will shine hopefully.

I will have 2x DUO RX, 2x simple TX plus 2-3 TRX and that will make for a nice small and very affordable doco wireless system that can handle nearly every situation from up to 4 talents or 2 talents and 2-3 camera hops or IEMs or recorders or whatever you need.

If you fear that Deity's 2,4GHz wireless isn't safe enough for you, just use the TRX as a recorder/TX and it will still be safe as can be.

I know that the receivers can transmit a little as well, but I still think the problem is the 100mw transmitters hopping on the same frequencies, not the receivers.

I hope someone will find out. If you buy two DUO Rx, maybe you can try to put them a litte further away from each other and see..

4 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Gotta ask--didn't Deity do testing and have Beta users try this stuff out, like beta folks who were professional soundies? And things went ok enough that they decided to bring this gear to market?  In this market the price of having a lot of failures or issues on rollout is pretty high...

I haven’t seen a test with four transmitters so far - with or without cable coordination. I was hoping for an answer from deity here..

23 hours ago, kavenzmann said:

I will try a single DUO RX first with two transmitters. Doco shoots can be quite long (like 16 hrs..) and even a drift of half a frame (as all recorders can drift in different directions) can make problems, if you need to combine diffent channels in post.

On 5/28/2021 at 4:25 AM, Andrew From Deity said:

In your country yes. You can do all that from the DUO-RX. The up down keys on the DUO-RX will remotely trigger the REC features ANd in the menu you can select the transmitters and put them to a sleep mode. You can also wake them up remotely.

thanks. but that's not what I asked. What I asked is if there is any plans in the future to use the remote features without a duo RX.

19 hours ago, igomarsound said:

thanks. but that's not what I asked. What I asked is if there is any plans in the future to use the remote features without a duo RX.

I am hoping for a new version of the duo RX as well, as its way too bulky.

On 5/26/2021 at 1:14 AM, Andrew From Deity said:

These aren't really meant to replace a sound bag but rather act as auxiliary wireless systems for users on a forum like JWSound. For users on this forum these would work best as camera hops or timecode based plant mic recorders like car rigs.  Kally Williams has been using them for the past week as a camera hop on her shoots. Here is what she had to say about it. https://www.instagram.com/p/CPT6oYCJ4lH/

Hello Andrew. Could you please clarify: what happens if two camera teams use the duo Rx on the same location? I didn’t get an answer so far and I tried to contact you on multiple channels..

Got the time code kit, seems ok. My primary use is for TC to 2 cameras - for which these seem fine so far. The TC is not transmitted (as far as I can make out) so jam to master with cable and it will do the job whatever happens to the wireless signal. 

I have a feature request: Is it possible to allow the USB feature to function when unit is set to at least 1 of the receiver modes. eg "hop", "iem" or "RX". This would a nice way to get sound from a recorder/mixer into laptop or phone where cables are just a real pain. ta.

3 hours ago, daniel said:

Got the time code kit, seems ok. My primary use is for TC to 2 cameras - for which these seem fine so far. The TC is not transmitted (as far as I can make out) so jam to master with cable and it will do the job whatever happens to the wireless signal. 

I have a feature request: Is it possible to allow the USB feature to function when unit is set to at least 1 of the receiver modes. eg "hop", "iem" or "RX". This would a nice way to get sound from a recorder/mixer into laptop or phone where cables are just a real pain. ta.

For tc I would always prefer my ultrasync ones. Much smaller and sync wirelessly..

11 hours ago, Sound said:

For tc I would always prefer my ultrasync ones. Much smaller and sync wirelessly..

👍

If i had Ultrasync ones already i'd probably concur. But if i was buying TC only units (right now) it would be 1 of the Ambient offerings (which I'm more used to) or the Tentacle. For me the BP-TRX are (hopefully) the right thing at the right time. Some of my clients want TC, others a scratch track, a few want both and some don't know what they want :) These go in the bag, cover those bases (in a 2.4GHz kind of way:) and give me an easy 'go to' with a last minute request. Of course if the client wants to pay for UHF camera hops I can supply these too - but I'd rather not carry UHF camera hops around in the bag 'just in case'. 

21 hours ago, daniel said:

👍

If i had Ultrasync ones already i'd probably concur. But if i was buying TC only units (right now) it would be 1 of the Ambient offerings (which I'm more used to) or the Tentacle. For me the BP-TRX are (hopefully) the right thing at the right time. Some of my clients want TC, others a scratch track, a few want both and some don't know what they want :) These go in the bag, cover those bases (in a 2.4GHz kind of way:) and give me an easy 'go to' with a last minute request. Of course if the client wants to pay for UHF camera hops I can supply these too - but I'd rather not carry UHF camera hops around in the bag 'just in case'. 

I guess you mean the tentacle recorder? I can’t understand why someone would prefer the simple tentacle tc generator over the uso. You have to sync the tentacle manually with an app regularly, the uso just syncs constantly on its own. There’s never a drift between the devices and you don’t have to rely on your smartphone. For me it’s just much more professional.

25 minutes ago, Sound said:

I guess you mean the tentacle recorder? I can’t understand why someone would prefer the simple tentacle tc generator over the uso. You have to sync the tentacle manually with an app regularly, the uso just syncs constantly on its own. There’s never a drift between the devices and you don’t have to rely on your smartphone. For me it’s just much more professional.

Never had to sync a Tentacle again, after the day had started and we have started rolling. 

1 hour ago, Sound said:

No, I didn't mean the tentacle recorder – Track E. For 1, i'm not so interested in remote recorders (TC or otherwise) and as much as i like what Tentacle did with  their sync boxes i was disappointed the Track E could not be used as TC box as well – seemed like no brainer to me but maybe 32bit makes up for that - maybe Tentacle rethink this a bit with a firmware or a new device.

Hi,

I have been using a bunch of the BP TRX's for the past week and have been impressed.

I had a couple of Ultra Syncs, but now just the one as one sadly took a swim with a wayward camera.

I replaced one Ultra Sync with a couple of tentacles for only a tad more dollars than one ultra sync and they have been faultless. I enjoy the tentacle app far more than what is for me the clumsy Ultra Sync menu.

The BP TRX is an excellent time code unit. You get to see the timecode well displayed, it is straight forward to jam and these days all of the devices out there have great clock stability. 

Yesterday I sent timecode and scratch audio effortlessly to a couple of cameras using the supplied cables and gave the director an IEM, all from 1 BP TRX master.

Sure 2.4 will get beat up in tough environments and I tested the units in IEM mode on a drama that I just finished and the range wasn't great, especially with a high powered Teradek smashing out 2.4 and plenty of UHF harmonics as well.

One use of them that I am considering is to tap off the transmitter/receiver setup that I use for video village and then output the receiver into a BP TRX set to master transmitter and you can then pass around 4 comms to the crew that stick to the huddle around the monitors.  Good value.

I would like it if you were able to send stereo audio to one unit in tx/rec mode (transmit/record) and then be able to pair it to more than one receiver unit (receiving and then outputting stereo audio). At this stage  tx/rec mode is the only mode that can transmit 2 channel audio and have it received and output as stereo by only the one BP TRX set as a receiver. 

These tick a lot of boxes, the build feels solid, battery life is good and for me will be a get out jail free card for plenty of unexpected situations............ 

"our DOP has decided not to use the million dollar camera setup and use the latest iteration cine pocket thingy for the 'look' "

"can we record our 2 guys on horseback from the ridge 1 mile away ?"

"we are going with 4 cameras today, can you give us timecode?"

and so on.

Cheers Tony.

8 hours ago, Sound said:

You have to sync the tentacle manually with an app regularly,

That‘s probably one of these rumours that just have a way of their own to get around even though they are false, just because someone misunderstood something. 
So no re-sync needed once set up for the day. 
But you do have to sync them one in the morning, which is also a good opportunity to check each device’s status, like if they are all fully charged…

14 hours ago, Constantin said:

That‘s probably one of these rumours that just have a way of their own to get around even though they are false, just because someone misunderstood something. 
So no re-sync needed once set up for the day. 
But you do have to sync them one in the morning, which is also a good opportunity to check each device’s status, like if they are all fully charged…

Ok. Still I am very glad not to depend on an app for my work.

2 hours ago, Sound said:

I understand your sentiment, because your destiny gets, at least partially, placed in someone else’s hands(so to speak), because you’re literally one firmware/software update away from it not working, but app control and interfacing with equipment has given us so much flexibility, versatility, convenience and control over so much of our equipment today, that it’s hard to imagine some things without it, now.  I mean, what do you think the percentage are of audio ops/mixers that use 6 or 8 series SD mixers and their respective apps vs. those that don’t?  Or shooters and gaffers controlling at least some of their lights with apps vs. those that don’t?

And if your frame rate doesn’t change, then you actually don’t have to use the app to set TC on a Tentacle, either.  They can be jammed to an external source, such as a mixer or camera, as long as the frame rate is the same that it is already set to*.

*One of my very few complaints about the Tentacle system is that they do not auto-detect the incoming frame rate from an external source, even after it was “promised” in a “future” firmware update with the originals.  But in the end, it’s a mild inconvenience, at worst, and more realistically, it’s a moot point, as the app is just so easy.

23 hours ago, T Spear said:

I would like it if you were able to send stereo audio to one unit in tx/rec mode (transmit/record) and then be able to pair it to more than one receiver unit (receiving and then outputting stereo audio). At this stage  tx/rec mode is the only mode that can transmit 2 channel audio and have it received and output as stereo by only the one BP TRX set as a receiver. 

Just had a play around with the stereo record/TX function. Using 'soundman OKM binaurals' i didn't have any joy with stereo. IE. if the I/P is set to 'mono' 1 capsule is present in both ears (on both TX and RX O/Ps). If I/P set to 'stereo' then only 1 capsule is present in 1 ear (on both TX and RX O/Ps). The OKMs working fine on anything else with stereo minijack or XLR (via adapter) I/P so it seems the 'stereo' setting regards only the (unbalanced) O/Ps and the audio I/P is a mono source only (Andrew?)

4 hours ago, RunAndGun said:

One of my very few complaints about the Tentacle system is that they do not auto-detect the incoming frame rate from an external source

I am pretty sure that they do do that. At least according to the manual, I have to admit that I never tried it. 

6 hours ago, Sound said:

I understand, and I don‘t want to convince you otherwise. But I do want to clarify, maybe for the benefit of someone else, too. 
While the app makes it easier to set up the Tentacles it is not required to keep it running throughout the day and, ss pointed out above, the Tentacles can be set up and used without an app. So you definitely don’t depend on it. 

On 6/12/2021 at 9:28 AM, daniel said:

No, I didn't mean the tentacle recorder – Track E. For 1, i'm not so interested in remote recorders (TC or otherwise) and as much as i like what Tentacle did with  their sync boxes i was disappointed the Track E could not be used as TC box as well – seemed like no brainer to me but maybe 32bit makes up for that - maybe Tentacle rethink this a bit with a firmware or a new device.

They are thinking about a pro version or extension of the Track E, that can be used as a TC box like the Sync E, but no confirmation or promises yet.