Deity BP-TX 2 Announced

Mattias Larsen

5 hours ago, daniel said:

Just had a play around with the stereo record/TX function. Using 'soundman OKM binaurals' i didn't have any joy with stereo. IE. if the I/P is set to 'mono' 1 capsule is present in both ears (on both TX and RX O/Ps). If I/P set to 'stereo' then only 1 capsule is present in 1 ear (on both TX and RX O/Ps). The OKMs working fine on anything else with stereo minijack or XLR (via adapter) I/P so it seems the 'stereo' setting regards only the (unbalanced) O/Ps and the audio I/P is a mono source only (Andrew?)

Does anyone know where to download the manual of the trx or the connect deluxe kit? (European Version)

6 hours ago, Constantin said:

I am pretty sure that they do do that. At least according to the manual, I have to admit that I never tried it. 

I understand, and I don‘t want to convince you otherwise. But I do want to clarify, maybe for the benefit of someone else, too. 
While the app makes it easier to set up the Tentacles it is not required to keep it running throughout the day and, ss pointed out above, the Tentacles can be set up and used without an app. So you definitely don’t depend on it. 

I feel a little dumb, now.  I just checked my E's and you are absolutely right.  I guess between the OG Tentacles not being able to automatically change to a different incoming frame rate from an external jam vs. what they were already set to and using the app 99.9% of the time to set/jam them, I never realized that they did implement auto-detect in the Sync E's(and I've been using the E's almost since they came out).  Now someone would really have to be hard pressed to not like them.

@Andrew From DeityWhen you called the BP-TRX an “ARM computer with audio I/O” my mind immediately went to putting it on a Dante network. You might consider if there’s interest in pursuing a firmware update to support it with a USB-C gigabit network adapter, people are pretty fanatical about Dante devices right now…

I received my connect deluxe kit and used it the first time with only internal recording while monitoring through the duo rx. Seems to work. No drift after nine hours. But I don’t like the included w. Lav pro. The cable arrived already damaged and the shield was damaged so you can see the wires. And you can immediately loose the wind protection as it’s just a piece of foam not locking at all and there is no easy replacement to order.

And it’s very hard to see if the transmitters are recording on the receiver. It’s a very small box that transforms to a very small circle. So a difference of four pixels on the display. 

And I would hope that I could leave the recording on all the time and just put the transmitters to sleep mode with the hot keys with the push of a button. Now you trigger recording with the shortcuts but have to go through the menu to put them to sleep.

And I set the input to mono but still the recording is a stereo file with two identical tracks. Is there a way to just record a mono file?

Received the Timecode Kit a fews days back. Unfortunately I had to send it back for diagnosis/repair. I had some high frequency noise when using them in TX mode. (Rec only mode was fine).

Apart from that I think thIs is quite a versatile  system - with some quirks (some already mentioned by others in this thread):
- stereo works for line signal only, not for mic input 
- mono mode records stereo files
- recording indicator on receiver hardly visible
- no way to manually lock the device (Autolock always gets in the way of my workflow)
- the buttons have a cheap feeling - but I guess some compromises have to be made at this price point

I hope my noise issue can be sorted out. 
Looking forward to make some real world testing.
Johannes 

On 6/18/2021 at 7:34 AM, Sound said:

I received my connect deluxe kit and used it the first time with only internal recording while monitoring through the duo rx. Seems to work. No drift after nine hours. But I don’t like the included w. Lav pro. The cable arrived already damaged and the shield was damaged so you can see the wires. And you can immediately loose the wind protection as it’s just a piece of foam not locking at all and there is no easy replacement to order.

And it’s very hard to see if the transmitters are recording on the receiver. It’s a very small box that transforms to a very small circle. So a difference of four pixels on the display. 

And I would hope that I could leave the recording on all the time and just put the transmitters to sleep mode with the hot keys with the push of a button. Now you trigger recording with the shortcuts but have to go through the menu to put them to sleep.

And I set the input to mono but still the recording is a stereo file with two identical tracks. Is there a way to just record a mono file?

I guess the deity w.lav pro will not last long. And I didnt find any replacement wind shields for it, as the capsule is very small (2mm).

Does anyone know some cheap lavalier mics that are screw-on sennheiser compatible like the w.lavs and a little more robust? Maybe with thicker cables? Then I probably will leave these mics here in my bag as a backup.

For the headphone output of the duo rx I just soldered a screw-on male minijack connector adapter to female minijack for my headphones as plugging the headphones directly in the duo rx is not a stable connection at all.

22 hours ago, Sound said:

Does anyone know some cheap lavaliere mics that are screw-on Sennheiser compatible like the w.lavs and a little more robust?

Many folks like the (USA made) Oscar SoundTech 801/802 (TR-50 clone),  Still under $150 (usd) the last time I looked. The 4mm end-fire TL-40  (flatter response) is another OST model. OST's customer service is very good.

Thanks a lot!

Do you know good universal wind protectors as well for the deity w.lav?

They fall of very easily.

Its just a piece of foam with a hole of about 2-3mm for the mic.

I cant find any replacements online, most generic wind shields are for mics with larger diameter.

Maybe its a spare part from deity.

Now I cut out pieces of foam and drilled a litte hole in them, but they are not very good looking. ;)

1 hour ago, Sound said:

Do you know good universal wind protectors as well for the deity w.lav?

Look at what Rycote has to offer. They have a solution for pretty much every mic. If you can't find anything specific for the Deity mic, look for Countryman B6, it should be a similar size. 

1 hour ago, DanieldH said:

I suppose, you ask for the v-lav micro?

If so, look for linhuipad ws-1202 on aliexpress.

There are also more yellowish foams with 5mm and 0.5mm inside diameter without a particular name.

Both work for my similar sized MKE-1.

Thanks! These should fit on the included w.lav pro. 

I am just trying the iem mode for my sound bag. I would like to monitor channels in stereo mode, and I was hoping I could transmit a stereo signal from one trx to another trx, but I am afraid I can only transmit mono. So I have to connect both trx with a cable splitter to be able to monitor stereo from the duo rx.

14 hours ago, JohannesH said:

Transmitting stereo was possible for line signals in my tests. Have you set the input mode of the transmitter to stereo?

Thanks! I had set it to master tc and iem which was only mono. Now I changed to tx rec and rx set to camera hop. And it works! But how can I change to line input? I can’t find a setting to switch between mic and line.

10 hours ago, Sound said:

But how can I change to line input? I can’t find a setting to switch between mic and line.

I haven't found anything either.

I suspect  there is some automatic going on based on the impedance you plugged in. Or Deity thinks that their gain range could handle both. Not sure if that is a good idea ...

Maybe I am to old for "simple" devices. 

Those stereo files from the trx drive me crazy. They make no sense at all when recording mono sources, or is there any option for dual gain recording? Does anyone know the fastest way to extract a mono channel from those stereo files on macOS? 

ahem: "Deity Microphones is excited to announce they have signed a license agreement with Zaxcom for 5 patents. This agreement will allow Deity Microphones’ new BP-TRX units to transmit and record audio at the same time when purchased or used in the United States."

7 minutes ago, daniel said:

ahem: "Deity Microphones is excited to announce they have signed a license agreement with Zaxcom for 5 patents. This agreement will allow Deity Microphones’ new BP-TRX units to transmit and record audio at the same time when purchased or used in the United States."

Oh, looks like I’ll be making my first Deity purchase. 

I wonder if Lectro could get a deal done with Zaxcom. 

56 minutes ago, JohannesH said:

https://www.sounddevices.com/product/wave-agent-software/

I have not found anything. Would be cool.

No way on macOS Catalina..

Known Issue 

• Some macOS Catalina users have reported issues when installing Wave Agent. If Wave Agent is crucial to your workflow, Sound Devices recommends maintaining a previous version of macOS.
2 hours ago, LoganSound said:

I like MediaHuman Audio Converter have used it for years 

I am afraid its exactly the same problem with mediaHuman: no timecode..