Deity BP-TX 2 Announced

Mattias Larsen

4 hours ago, Sound said:

And I already contacted deity eight days ago about the problem. still no answer. Maybe they can make the products that cheap because they save a lot without support.. and even no manual for download..

Who did you email? I haven't heard anything from our customer support about this. 

You can always email me directly Andrew@Deitymic.com 

It sounds like a lot of you hate the dual mono file aspect of mono mode. I'll have the team fix this in the V1.2 firmware update. 

4 hours ago, Andrew From Deity said:

Who did you email? I haven't heard anything from our customer support about this. 

You can always email me directly Andrew@Deitymic.com 

It sounds like a lot of you hate the dual mono file aspect of mono mode. I'll have the team fix this in the V1.2 firmware update. 

Thanks for your help.

i received this email and tried to contact you again through the same email as I didn’t receive an answer..

Von: Deitymic Support <support@deitymic.com>
Datum: 17. Juni 2021 um 21:09:53 MESZ
Betreff: [Request received] Deity Support Europe/Germany - Other(6fx00x10827)19766
Antwort an: Deitymic Support <support@deitymic.com>
Thanks for contacting Deity support team. Really sorry to hear that you’re having this issue with your gear. This is an auto-reply. And your request number is (19766). We will reply you ASAP in 24 to 48 hours. We are very sorry for the delay.

By the way: would it be possible to map the hot keys of the duo rx via a menu setting in the next firmware update so that you can put the bp-trx to sleep mode by holding the up and down arrow instead of starting and stopping record?

internal recording eats up much less battery than transmitting audio and it is much safer if recording is always turned on during the shoot.

and I would love to have a much bigger record sign on the display of the rx duo.

And if you want to keep the option to stereo record mono sources. Is it maybe possible to add a feature like dual gain recording? Then the two channels would make sense.

7 hours ago, JohannesH said:

Have you seen this page too:

https://www.sounddevices.com/installing-wave-agent-on-mac-os-catalina-and-big-sur/

(I'm still on Mojave so I have not tried it myself)

GREAT! IT WORKS! THANK YOU! :)

Does anyone know, or can Andrew from Deity confirm, if it can sync to a standard timecode input? The promotional videos I’ve seen only show timecode going into DSLRs as audio. Obviously this is a problem for shooting red raw, but also I’d like the backup of sending timecode to a sync input, as well as a scratch track and audio timecode to a stereo input like with this ERX cable:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1115945-REG/remote_audio_cazerxalexa_unbalanced_breakout_cable_3_5mm.html
will this cable work with a bp-trx in hops/timecode mode with an Alexa for example?

On 6/28/2021 at 6:10 PM, Riley McCullagh said:

Does anyone know, or can Andrew from Deity confirm, if it can sync to a standard timecode input? The promotional videos I’ve seen only show timecode going into DSLRs as audio. Obviously this is a problem for shooting red raw, but also I’d like the backup of sending timecode to a sync input, as well as a scratch track and audio timecode to a stereo input like with this ERX cable:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1115945-REG/remote_audio_cazerxalexa_unbalanced_breakout_cable_3_5mm.html
will this cable work with a bp-trx in hops/timecode mode with an Alexa for example?

A similar cable is included in the deluxe kit for the duo rx and bop-trx. So I guess it’s possible.

11 hours ago, Sound said:

A similar cable is included in the deluxe kit for the duo rx and bop-trx. So I guess it’s possible.

I tried to sync the other way round: Using a splitt cable to feed timecode through one channel to the bp-trx, which doesnt seem to work. I guess there has to be timecode on both channels for the bp-trx to read it.

• 2 weeks later...

So...

$400 for a pair of Tentacle Sync E boxes... that *only* do timecode...

or...

$480 for a pair of Deity BP-TRX boxes... that do timecode, and record, and transmit, and camera hop, and IEM, etc...

Is anyone else cross-shopping these two systems?  

I already have a MixPre6-II with timecode... and I have a Tentacle Track E because I wanted a standalone lav recorder with timecode.

So naturally I wanted a pair of Sync E to add timecode to cameras.  

But now the BP-TRX has me tempted!

I love how the Tentacle devices can all be synced with the phone app.  It's a very slick ecosystem.  

But the BP-TRX offers so much more functionality.  It's a wireless audio system too!  That's also something I'm interested in.

Decisions, decisions...  🤩

11 hours ago, Michael Scrip said:

$480 for a pair of Deity BP-TRX boxes... that do timecode, and record, and transmit, and camera hop, and IEM, etc...

Both systems have their legitimacy. 

The Tentacle units, both on camera and on talent, are a lot smaller and are a good addon for already existing wireless units. 

10 hours ago, Michael Scrip said:

So...

or...

I already have a MixPre6-II with timecode... and I have a Tentacle Track E because I wanted a standalone lav recorder with timecode.

I love how the Tentacle devices can all be synced with the phone app.  It's a very slick ecosystem.  

But the BP-TRX offers so much more functionality.  It's a wireless audio system too!  That's also something I'm interested in.

I bought BP-TRX primarily for TC for which they are fine (even without an app) , but camera scratch track and IEM make them worth while having in the bag even if TC is not required. For me Tentacle went from innovative disruptor (Sync and Sync E) to borderline box hobbling in 3 iterations (at least 'playing with the handbrake' on). Lots would have gone for their Track E recorder over BP-TRX if it could have doubled as a standalone TC box? Other thoughts:

~ 2.4gHz is 2.4gHz - but TC works without wireless connection. 

~ Network, Display and App > Display > App (imho - i went with Display).

~ Locking connectors  > proprietary plastic clip working with just 1 type of right angle connector.

~ I like the Tentacle industrial design, website, apps and logo.

12 hours ago, DanieldH said:

Both systems have their legitimacy. 

The Tentacle units, both on camera and on talent, are a lot smaller and are a good addon for already existing wireless units. 

I am wondering if anyone besides me has anxiety with using the Tentacle Sync Track E and not being able to monitor the audio in real time. I know you can see it recording on their app but.....

8 minutes ago, Justin Allen said:

I am wondering if anyone besides me has anxiety with using the Tentacle Sync Track E and not being able to monitor the audio in real time. I know you can see it recording on their app but.....

I'm guessing Tentacle's answer is to set decent levels beforehand and use 32-bit Float.

Then if it peaks/clips... at least you can rescue it in post.

It would have been nice if it could record a 2nd safety channel like the Tascam DR-10.  But the Track E strictly a mono recorder.

Though this wouldn't allow you to hear clothing rustle or other audio problems during recording.

Question:  How would you monitor the audio of a recorder if it's clipped on someone's belt?  Would you also attach a transmitter to them? 

This is assuming you could get audio out during recording... Tentacle disables US headphone jacks because of the patent.

4 hours ago, Justin Allen said:

I use the international version. But even the US version could be used on a plant mic, a backup in car recorder with a second mic or an input gain remote. The limitations of the US version render the unit a too pricey though.

15 hours ago, Michael Scrip said:

I'm guessing Tentacle's answer is to set decent levels beforehand and use 32-bit Float.

Then if it peaks/clips... at least you can rescue it in post.

It would have been nice if it could record a 2nd safety channel like the Tascam DR-10.  But the Track E strictly a mono recorder.

Though this wouldn't allow you to hear clothing rustle or other audio problems during recording.

Question:  How would you monitor the audio of a recorder if it's clipped on someone's belt?  Would you also attach a transmitter to them? 

This is assuming you could get audio out during recording... Tentacle disables US headphone jacks because of the patent.

If you need to use wireless and a Track E(US/US version), call Remote Audio/Trew Audio.  It took a little trial and error, but they built me custom splitter cables so that I can split my lav’s to simultaneously feed my Lectro belt packs and Track E’s.

I actually like this more than if the headphone jack wasn’t disabled, because for me, the wireless feed is the primary and the local recording on the Track E would be only as an OMG back-up.  So doing it this way, you are (more or less) getting the straight, unadulterated sound/signal from the lav to the transmitter, instead of going through a device that is effecting the quality of the signal, since it’s coming back out of a headphone jack.

On 7/14/2021 at 5:14 PM, Michael Scrip said:

So...

or...

Personally the form factor of the BP-TRX makes it a no go for me. Camera teams don't want a big box like that on the camera. If you often work with teams that don't care then I bet it's great but these days camera dept are used to things like the JB1 and Nano lockit, coming out with this big box is just unprofessional imo. I do like the product though. 

18 hours ago, AlexG said:

Personally the form factor of the BP-TRX makes it a no go for me. Camera teams don't want a big box like that on the camera. If you often work with teams that don't care then I bet it's great but these days camera dept are used to things like the JB1 and Nano lockit, coming out with this big box is just unprofessional imo. I do like the product though. 

If you need a wireless hop and a timecode generator, though, it might make sense. Seems like it would take up less space than the G3 and tentacle sync e that I currently put on the camera, plus it wouldn't eat up spectrum from talent's wireless. However the fact that it uses a rechargeable battery kind of kills that idea -- on long shoot days you'd need to buy extra units and swap them out instead of just change AA's. 

I used a pair of Track E's this weekend and just started looking at the results. I used them with 4 Sync E's as well. I can say that the 32-bit float worked perfectly and the mic that comes with it picked up everything it needed to, plus a bit more. I have not done any post work on the audio yet so I don't know how much I have to play with it yet. I am sure I'll have to use a higher-end lav with them however.

I am having one issue, and I am sure it's my issue, not Tentacle Sync's. When using the Sync E's, they lay down a timecode audio track on the second channel and with Resolve it very easy to just apply that timecode to the footage. So far, with the Track E's I can only see the timecode if I use their studio program, but so far I have not had success in writing that timecode to the audio track, vs the file track. And Resolve cannot read the file track. So, for now, I cannot sync everything together just yet. Again, I am 99% sure this is my issue but I did reach out to Tentacle Sync support to confirm that, and show me the error of my ways.

I’m presuming you’re using the Sync E’s with a dslr or similar that doesn’t have dedicated timecode in/out and you’re just laying an audible TC track to one of the cameras audio tracks.  With the Track E’s, they are single channel recorders and TC is metadata in the file.  Just like with a camera or mixer/audio recorder with dedicated timecode.

I’ve never edited on Resolve, so I don’t know if you have to tell it where to look for TC and if you’re telling it to interpret it from an audio track, if that means it will ONLY try to do it that way with everything and you then have to switch it back-and-forth depending on the TC source.