Deity BP-TX 2 Announced

Mattias Larsen

But Resolve can't do (subframe) offsets AFAIK, nor scan for longer time (if TC does not start at the beginning, some action cams have a fade in....).
The devil is in the details. If all is perfect, it's fine, otherwise post gets expensive.
(And Resolve is a sledgehammer if you just want to deliver files with 'correct' TC.)

On 8/1/2021 at 8:31 AM, Mattias Larsen said:

Allen doesnt seem too excited after real life testing.

After watching this I don't know how anyone could seriously consider this system. It's cool that it does all these things but if you're walking on eggshells with it all day worried about dropouts, what's the point.

On the other hand, if you’re a professional sound mixer looking for a wireless system, you probably wouldn’t consider a 2,4ghz system just simply because it’s 2,4ghz.

The marketing is just unclear. he makes a point that it states it is a professional system, and it is, if you count amount of features only and build quality, and also if you compare it to other products in the same segment, it’s MORE professional in that regard. But no professional mixer would buy into a 2,4ghz system hoping they would replace their current systems. 
Maybe someone would consider buying it for ONE of the features, like TC. 
That section of the video was confusing. I didn’t understand if the stamped TC on the files actually matched the audio recorder’s tc. To me it seemed like he was comparing the displays in the different devices only. But I sort of half watched it at that point, so I could’ve easily missed something. 

'That section of the video was confusing. I didn’t understand if the stamped TC on the files actually matched the audio recorder’s tc. To me it seemed like he was comparing the displays in the different devices only. But I sort of half watched it at that point, so I could’ve easily missed something.' 

+1. The point about using photos to compare TC displays is kind of valid and overall it's a thorough review (i FF the walk tests:) but  a more real world use would be to Jam both devices to the same reference (eg the recorder), use the displays to confirm source and stick the BP-TRX on the cameras (and if you're working with a single camera with an audio I/P use the spare box to send a scratch track). I would not be surprised if there were drift in the compared files but he didn't seem to test this. There are also few TC devices which dont have a numeric display at all unless you are using an app.

On 5/26/2021 at 8:56 PM, Sound said:

What happens if Therese units get  very popular? So you arrive at some location and two other broadcast teams are using some trx? Will I still be able to use mine? You said there is maximum of four in total.

And because they have such a big output, they could easily interfere.

Ok, that’s exactly what I thought would happen!

On 1/25/2021 at 7:21 PM, Sound said:

Still I don’t get why it’s possible to send the signal of a single transmitter to three receivers but it’s not possible to pair say four transmitters to a stereo receiver and switch channels just for monitoring. This way you could save a lot of bandwidth in the crowded WiFi area because you could stop the transmitters that are not being monitored at the moment so that they are only recording internally..

And again this could be a solution. I guess they are made to record internally and use the receiver just for monitoring. This works as long as there is no problem with the sd card. If so the record symbols shows up on the duo rx when you start recording but than vanishes after a short time, even when there is no sd card inside which makes you believe you are recording.

Or if they just made the main buttons on the duo rx make you put recorders to sleep that you don’t want to monitor currently instead of stopping recording you could stop them from interfering.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:43 AM, Sound said:

Is there any reason that the deity trx cannot be built to work in the UHF-frequency-range?

Well, no, but UHF is a whole different ball game. The reason 2.4G is so popular with the lower cost systems is that the manufacturers buy chipsets that do all the wifi stuff for them. All the complexities (and it is really complex) of wifi transmission is figured out by vendors that specialize in making chips for the wifi standard. So you buy a chip, connect an antenna to it, send data to it and the chip works out all the complexities. Wifi is a standard that is run by billions of devices. Easy peasy to make a product for wifi, Well, relatively so compared to UHF.

UHF wireless audio works in the same spectrum as television channels and in the US, also in a space reserved for wireless microphones. So the UHF wireless has to abide by the FCC rules for this space, which don't allow for the things that wifi does and visa versa. They run under completely different rules.

Designing for UHF gets a bit more complex in that the designer has to do most of the work themselves. There isn't a 'billions of devices' market and so chipsets that do the RF stuff don't exist.  So there is quite a difference in developing products for UHF vs wifi.

Sound said: "Still I don’t get why it’s possible to send the signal of a single transmitter to three receivers but it’s not possible to pair say four transmitters to a stereo receiver and switch channels just for monitoring. "

I'm not well read up on the IEEE 802 standard (wifi), but from what I read I'm guessing this is a limitation of the wifi standard.

16 hours ago, daniel said:

The point about using photos to compare TC displays is kind of valid and overall it's a thorough review (i FF the walk tests:) but a more real world use would be to Jam both devices to the same reference (eg the recorder), use the displays to confirm source and stick the BP-TRX on the cameras (and if you're working with a single camera with an audio I/P use the spare box to send a scratch track). I would not be surprised if there were drift in the compared files but he didn't seem to test this. There are also few TC devices which dont have a numeric display at all unless you are using an app.

I messaged Allen on the Youtube video.  He says he will have more videos about timecode on the BP-TRX.

He also said there will be new firmware that fixes the display.

On 8/5/2021 at 9:08 AM, Olle Sjostrom said:

On the other hand, if you’re a professional sound mixer looking for a wireless system, you probably wouldn’t consider a 2,4ghz system just simply because it’s 2,4ghz.

Did anyone test using two duo receivers connected via cable and receiving audio from four bp-trx transmitters, yet??

I am starting to think that this won't work at all..

On 8/5/2021 at 9:20 AM, Paul F said:

Well, no, but UHF is a whole different ball game. The reason 2.4G is so popular with the lower cost systems is that the manufacturers buy chipsets that do all the wifi stuff for them. All the complexities (and it is really complex) of wifi transmission is figured out by vendors that specialize in making chips for the wifi standard. So you buy a chip, connect an antenna to it, send data to it and the chip works out all the complexities. Wifi is a standard that is run by billions of devices. Easy peasy to make a product for wifi, Well, relatively so compared to UHF.

UHF wireless audio works in the same spectrum as television channels and in the US, also in a space reserved for wireless microphones. So the UHF wireless has to abide by the FCC rules for this space, which don't allow for the things that wifi does and visa versa. They run under completely different rules.

Designing for UHF gets a bit more complex in that the designer has to do most of the work themselves. There isn't a 'billions of devices' market and so chipsets that do the RF stuff don't exist.  So there is quite a difference in developing products for UHF vs wifi.

The Deity Connect ecosystem isn't WiFi. It uses a different protocol on the 2.4Ghz spectrum. We selected 2.4Ghz because its usable world wide and you don't have to worry about frequency blocks when you travel abroad.

On 8/8/2021 at 11:41 AM, Sound said:

Did anyone test using two duo receivers connected via cable and receiving audio from four bp-trx transmitters, yet??

I am starting to think that this won't work at all..

Yes this setup works. And you can trigger the individual recorders on each BP-TRX via the dual DUO-RX's UP and DOWN keys. 

On 8/5/2021 at 12:08 AM, Olle Sjostrom said:

Maybe someone would consider buying it for ONE of the features, like wireless TC. 

The BP-TRX does not do wireless TC but rather each units features it's own TXCO to handle local TC generation. This gives for a more accurate clock.  

thanks. I hope you can put units to sleep using up and down keys instead. There is plenty of memory space on the sd cards to keep recording running but not enough battery to keep transmission running all day. And I hope anyone will test the double duo receiver configuration. I ordered a second deluxe kit and hope I am not the first to test it.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:53 PM,  Andrew From Deity said: 

Yes this setup works. And you can trigger the individual recorders on each BP-TRX via the dual DUO-RX's UP and DOWN keys. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 7:35 AM, Sound said:

thanks. I hope you can put units to sleep using up and down keys instead. There is plenty of memory space on the sd cards to keep recording running but not enough battery to keep transmission running all day. And I hope anyone will test the double duo receiver configuration. I ordered a second deluxe kit and hope I am not the first to test it.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:53 PM,  Andrew From Deity said: 

I meant turning them to sleep with Up annd Down Keys INSTEAD of triggering record...

Do you know when the deluxe kit will be available again? I have still not received anything yet. Or are you working on a new, improved version?

• 3 weeks later...

WARNING! Do not rely on the internal recording of the bp-trx. I had corrupt files the second time now.

This time five of eight files were corrupt and show a duation of 00.00.00.

It destroyed a whole shooting day..

I cant find a way to restore them and keep the timecode..

Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 18.37.47.png

Is there anyone here, who owns a Deity Connect Deluxe kit and could try if the same problem shows up?

Best with the newest firmware 1.3.

Is seems to show up only so far when you trigger record through the receiver.

I started recording on both transmitters at the same time by long pushing the up and down arrows on the receiver,

then I let the recording run for some time. (maybe best over an hour at least)

Then I stopped recording through the receiver and immediately startet it again and let it run for some time..

Most corrupt files are at least 500 mb.

Would be great to know if its a faulty unit or a fw problem.

Maybe with those settings:

Mode: TX+Rec

Input Type: Mono

Low Cut: 40 Hz

Limiter: on

Fre Boost off

RF Power Auto

Anyone considering this system needs to factor in replacing the supplied cables with more reliable equivalents. 1 of the splitter cables with my TC Kit was DoA and getting any meaningful response from customer support has not happened. FYI the TC (kit) splitter cable (minijack to XLR/BNC) costs c.£50 each to have made professionally in UK.

If Deity are listening it would also be able nice to pad the audio I/P down. X3/4 from a 633 is too hot and distorts.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had these a couple weeks and I will say the wireless penetration makes it difficult to trust as a wireless on body mic unless you are counting on syncing body pack record in post, however as timecode box and camera hop or producer iem I think maintaining line of sight will be workable on small productions.

Firmware suggestion for @Andrew From Deityin USB mode it would be great to turn off microphone input monitoring - I work in broadcast and a lot of our talent at home setups have Shure MV8 boxes for mic and IFB, this could fill a similar niche for broadcast or  podcasting but needs the option to not hear yourself in the headphone mix (of course could use system output but the convenience of having both on your hip would be great)