Sonosax SX-S vs SX-ST preamp

Trey LaCroix

This topic might be a little outdated but I was curious if anyone had an opinion on the differences in the sound between the SX-S and SX-ST. I picked up an SX-S 8 a little while ago for practically nothing. So far I'm very happy with the sound and was just wondering what/if I'm missing out on ;). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t have any experience with the SX-ST but I have an SX-S and an SX-ES84. 

They are both in the same sound world for sure. The newer model (SX-ES4) is a bit quieter, lower noise floor. The SX-S seems a bit slower, and maybe a little more richness in the lows. The newer model is a little leaner sounding. 

Not big differences at all though - these are just subtleties. 

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Trey, Dane Lonsdale in the forum here is a great source for info on the SX-ST. I almost bought his a few months ago. I know he told me that the pres, EQ and limiters in the SX-ST were "superior" to those in the SX-S. Fabrice Junod at SONOSAX said that the ST pres were the next evolution up from the SX-S. Geoff Maxwell (here in this forum, as well??) likes the faders in the SX-ST much more than in the SX-S, but he said he likes those in the ES best. Write to those guys for their first-hand opinions. My only experience is with 2 SX-S8s, and I really like them for live concert mixing.

I used the Sxs8 from 1989-2006 and then the SX-STD from 2006-2018 when I retired. The ST is superior in many ways both sonically and ergonomics. The preamp/limiter structure is better as well.The dual rail faders made a huge difference. Headroom on the ST is better. The Sxs is a lovely mixer and still is the backup mixer for my boom op who bought the whole kit and is now mixing. If you are careful with your gain settings and don't mind riding the global gain knob during high dynamic scenes, the Sxs is an inexpensive "proper" console. There is not a better location mixer made than the SX-ST.

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2020 at 5:54 PM, Ramsay said:

I used the Sxs8 from 1989-2006 and then the SX-STD from 2006-2018 when I retired. The ST is superior in many ways both sonically and ergonomics. The preamp/limiter structure is better as well.The dual rail faders made a huge difference. Headroom on the ST is better. The Sxs is a lovely mixer and still is the backup mixer for my boom op who bought the whole kit and is now mixing. If you are careful with your gain settings and don't mind riding the global gain knob during high dynamic scenes, the Sxs is an inexpensive "proper" console. There is not a better location mixer made than the SX-ST.

Ramsay, thank you for answering my question so well. I imagine after so long with each mixer you are very familiar with the subtleties of each one. I love my SX-S but it’s nice I have something to work towards.

On 4/28/2020 at 11:22 AM, Mobilemike said:

I don’t have any experience with the SX-ST but I have an SX-S and an SX-ES84. 

They are both in the same sound world for sure. The newer model (SX-ES4) is a bit quieter, lower noise floor. The SX-S seems a bit slower, and maybe a little more richness in the lows. The newer model is a little leaner sounding. 

Not big differences at all though - these are just subtleties. 

-Mike

Interesting! It’s nice they have such continuity. I guess that’s how they’ve become so famous for their preamps.