Headphone Poll

daniel Brooks

Hey My Audio Brothers and Sound Sisters!

Every 4-6 years I get bored with the sound of my headphones; I started last century with Beyers DT 48's , then Sony MDR 7506's , then Sennheisers HD 25's, Then Ultrasone HFI 560's, then Ultrasone 580's then Sennheisers again... you get the idea.  My question for you is what is your fave headphone for mixing?  Am I the only one whose ears get fatigued like this?  Please give me some suggestions as to what your choice phones are....

3 hours ago, henrimic said:

I haven’t try the Neumann yet but have read good reviews. 

I love them. They have a very even sound, totally unflattering and honest, so much so that at first you probably won’t like them, because you’re so used to flattering sound. I also switch headphones every few years, but on me these made probably the best first impression. And that’s not just the sound, but they also apply just the right pressure on my skull, they are well isolated but not too much and comfortable even with my glasses. And I especially like the build quality, very robust and made from metal which feels just really good. I even like the orange interior lining. The only thing that could become a thing is their weight as they’re fairly heavy. 

41 minutes ago, daniel Brooks said:

and for field work, they are SO DAMN EXPENSIVE to be kicked around locations and weather...

True. But I don’t kick mine around and my cart wants a dry location anyway. And the ear enclosures are made of aluminum so they won’t get rusty. Well, I said already I love them. Expensive yes, but they are worth it to me

Started with DT-100 on a studio that I started working, then personally I went for Sony, still have'em, stayed with HD25 - still going with them, but I also like the DT-770 Pro.

Most of the time I stayed with some variation of Sennheiser I guess, depending if I was working on a studio or for myself.

Personally, I can't stand the Sony sound anymore. I think I will stay with the Sennheisers for now.

Somehow it feels like better isolation with the HD 25s compared to the 7506s.

I have been using HD25s for about 20 years now.  Switched over initially because of the 

"more accurate to my ears" feeling when I first tried them, but the isolation is also very good.

The only con being ear cartilage feeling a bit abused after a really long day, not as bad as with 

DT48s!

2 hours ago, Jim Rillie said:

The only con being ear cartilage feeling a bit abused after a really long day, not as bad as with 

DT48s!

Here's the thing...  I don't want to feel like the guy in Good Fellas when Joe Pesci tightens the vise on his head....  And that's what the DT48's and the Sennheiser 25's fee like.  The Circumaural Headphones vs. Supra Aural Headphones is a grande and long debated issue.  The over the ear gives better isolation, but get hot; the on the ear require more vise-grip pressure to get that isolation.  I am still hunting for the 'golden phones....' and thought you wise folks could answer the unanswerable question....

2 hours ago, Jim Rillie said:

I do like and use Sennheiser HD25II and the Sennheiser HD 280 pro. I find the isolation better than the Sony 7506 or the Beyer Dynamic DT250.

Beyer Dynamic DT250 seemed nice and flat to me. Dialogue sounds like what it would coming out of a speaker.

I used the 7506 for a long time, but haven't for 10+ years. 

My two cents anyways.

My favorites are also the HD26 Pro. I can wear them the whole day without any fatigue. I'also have the Audio Technica  ATH-M50X that are nice for the cable options and the fact to be foldable, but not as comfortable as the Sennheisers in my opinion.

Never had any issue with the HD25, and on a working day here, I am wearing them for at least 7-8 hours.

Mine are in excellent condition after a few years and a bit of abuse on soap operas and the such (which the conditions are not optimal). I have seen others that had issues with their size chanching mechanism.

Second best are the DT770Pro, but their much bigger mass plays a negative role for me.

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Never had any issue with the HD25, and on a working day here, I am wearing them for at least 7-8 hours.

Mine are in excellent condition after a few years and a bit of abuse on soap operas and the such (which the conditions are not optimal). I have seen others that had issues with their size chanching mechanism.

Second best are the DT770Pro, but their much bigger mass plays a negative role for me.

The most frequent issue I have with these (I provide them to my boom-ops when they want) is that the connection inside the ear cup gets bad. Where the „fork“ of the cable connects to the other side. This is a fairly well documented issue and it seems like nobody has found a cure. 

HD25 4ever, 22 years with my first ones and still alive. 

For me isn't perfect, have a bit exaggerated lows (but good for stay aware of the low frequency noises in localization), and a bit hyped the highs (nice for hear the hiss of the lavaliers). IMMO is one of the best sounding "closed" heaphones that I tried (The open headphones sound much better but not for this job), and one of the more ruggest

in order of use: Dt48; Dt100; HD25; 7506; Dt250; HDJ8 (Sennheiser). Best sounding of those is IMHO is Dt250. Currently use HDJ8 and 7506 - as sound kits have got smaller the HPs seem bigger - I prefer circumaurals over supra but they need to fold for bag work. 

Also the HD-25 for me.

It's not really neutral but a pleasing detailed sound.

One of them is beginning to start having a bad contact on the fork. I've heard of others that solder the cable for a permanent fix (I seem to remember Kortwich does that too).

A very nice alternative is the Beyerdynamic DT 240 Pro.

It's more neural and very affordable and also quite compact. The cable is a bit long but can be switched (2.5mm jack connector at the headphone side). Don't know how well they hold up in field use since I don't have them for very long.

Also tried the 7506 for a while, didn't like them very much.