Bad news for CA soundies (and all freelancers)

Philip Perkins

This AM the CA EDD site for "Pandemic Unemployment Assistance", ie unemployment insurance for people who were mostly paid via form 1099 until Jan 1 of this year, went live.   If you had a mix of probably a handful of W2-days and a basket of 1099-days you are hosed.  The EDD requires you to apply for and take the benefit payments off your handful of W2s if you have any at all, and not your 1099s.  In that most of us were never given a choice about which method of payment would be used on a given job, this is fair....how?  When you exhaust what benes you can get from your W2s supposedly you will be able to apply for PUA benes, depending on what else happens between now and then.  But, meanwhile, time will have marched forward, and many fewer of those old 1099 jobs will now be eligible to be included in the 18-month base they key the benefits off of.  This AND the idiocy of AB5, in the same year, from the most innovative state in the USA.

It is a mess, frustrating and does nothing for everyone's anxiety but it is still worth applying for.  The base rates are extremely low (few hundred bucks) but through July you get an extra $600 week.  I jumped on it four weeks ago and it took about three weeks to actually get paid.  Yeah I am only getting $3500/month through July which is considerably lower than my usual take home pay HOWEVER this is paying the rent / utilities / putting food on the table without me having to dip into savings so if you ask me, even breaking even these next couple months is fine by me.

10 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

If you had a mix of probably a handful of W2-days and a basket of 1099-days you are hosed.

Used to think it sucked to have more W-2's than 1099's.

5 hours ago, codyman said:

through July

Crazy its already almost May. 

5 hours ago, codyman said:

without me having to dip into savings so if you ask me, even breaking even these next couple months is fine by me.

This is a real gut check for all. 

3 hours ago, tourtelot said:

So it's important to sigh in for local UI where ever you live to be eligible for the federal money

We cannot stress this enough.  

14 hours ago, tourtelot said:

Yep, in Washington State, I am thinking that I won't get any state money but the $600/wk from the feds will help.  So it's important to sigh in for local UI where ever you live to be eligible for the federal money, even if you get $0 from your state.

My vague understanding is that you need to qualify for, and receive, at least $1 or more from your state unemployment to get the $600.

3 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

My vague understanding is that you need to qualify for, and receive, at least $1 or more from your state unemployment to get the $600.

Yes, I think I mis-spoke.  I will get something like a dollar a week from the state.  I am "token" unemployed. :)

D.