Has anyone hacked a Rycote BBG or Windscreen?

EmRR

Asking as I encountered someone who was using the grommeted sides of two BBG's, taped together, to make something that would cover a pair of Sennheiser MKH 800's for DMS or Blumlien use.  It struck me one could possibly use a single BBG and mount a second grommet, and I wonder how treacherous an operation that might be.  I don't know what happens when you pierce the internal fabric, nor how fragile the frame is under cutting pressure, getting the grommet mounted, etc.    I'm told Rycote won't sell a version like this, likely doesn't meet their desired protection spec.    You could of course do this with a standard longer mono windscreen, but I'm thinking about something with a smaller visual footprint that wouldn't require another specialized conn box.    Thanks for any thoughts.  

Not treacherous, did you ever build models cars/airplanes when younger? 

I've made a few windscreens and cages, it was intimidating but not difficult by any means. Quite impressive when finished. 

Most have a few broken bits and bobs of rycote end caps and pieces that they keep around to fabricate a special purpose wind screen or one time use kinda thing. 

I think you should go for it. Let me know if you have any questions. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 4:11 PM, EmRR said:

Asking as I encountered someone who was using the grommeted sides of two BBG's, taped together, to make something that would cover a pair of Sennheiser MKH 800's for DMS or Blumlien use.  It struck me one could possibly use a single BBG and mount a second grommet, and I wonder how treacherous an operation that might be.  I don't know what happens when you pierce the internal fabric, nor how fragile the frame is under cutting pressure, getting the grommet mounted, etc.    I'm told Rycote won't sell a version like this, likely doesn't meet their desired protection spec.    You could of course do this with a standard longer mono windscreen, but I'm thinking about something with a smaller visual footprint that wouldn't require another specialized conn box.    Thanks for any thoughts.  

On 8/2/2020 at 2:33 PM, EmRR said:

Thanks for that link.  

On 8/2/2020 at 2:33 PM, EmRR said:

Thanks for that link.  

I Hi 

I have this spare Rycote SuperShield front end which you could easily modify to fit a 8060 with an end cap.

Rycote SuperShield front end.jpg

On 8/1/2020 at 7:25 PM, Valentine said:

Not quite what you're looking for but years ago I cut a Rode blimp apart and glued it back together to make it much smaller. I basically got the idea from this:

https://www.watsonwu.com/blog/2014/5/2/mini-me-rode-blimp

I tried those instructions. The heat did not work for me to loosen the glue. I got it hot to the point it almost melted the plastic. I ended up driving a very thin, small screwdriver in on each side. It was easy on the outside and tedious on the inside. Cutting and putting it back together was much easier than I anticipated. Great idea. I'm really happy with the results.