Wisycom MCR54 Teaser

DanieldH

51 minutes ago, codyman said:

Seems they already uploaded images on their site but no specs.  What's the 5 pin connector on the front?

I guess for devices without 4 channel support via superslot; so you will have 2 channels via superslot, 2 via the 5pin mini xlr.

I like that they’re pushing the envelope. 16 channels in one rack space is great. 

I only tried a Wisycom setup once and it sounded fine, range was ok but I remember thinking that using them would be like death by 1000 cuts in terms of the user interface. For example the up and down arrow buttons being left and right of each other made my head hurt. The way it scans was confusing and the way you can’t just select any frequency you want but only the ones that are programmed into its preset list, navigating their confusing compandor modes.. just a bunch of little annoying stuff. I was happy to return to Lectros that are simple to use and generally just work and don’t fight with you. Add to that their user manuals leave a bit to be desired. 

To be fair, I’m sure some of those little quirky things have been ironed out by now but for me it was enough to pass and stick with the standard gear. That said, in my opinion Lectro hasn’t really had a 100% home run since the SM. Sorry guys.. 

7 hours ago, Derek H said:

I like that they’re pushing the envelope. 16 channels in one rack space is great. 

I only tried a Wisycom setup once and it sounded fine, range was ok but I remember thinking that using them would be like death by 1000 cuts in terms of the user interface. For example the up and down arrow buttons being left and right of each other made my head hurt. The way it scans was confusing and the way you can’t just select any frequency you want but only the ones that are programmed into its preset list, navigating their confusing compandor modes.. just a bunch of little annoying stuff. I was happy to return to Lectros that are simple to use and generally just work and don’t fight with you. Add to that their user manuals leave a bit to be desired. 

To be fair, I’m sure some of those little quirky things have been ironed out by now but for me it was enough to pass and stick with the standard gear. That said, in my opinion Lectro hasn’t really had a 100% home run since the SM. Sorry guys.. 

Partial wisy user here (mpr52 with SK5212😞 The up down arrow keys did confuse initially. The scanning is quite good as you have choices how to do it and how the info is presented. You can set any freq you want - over a massive range. The compandor modes are a big reason to choose wisy. Lectros have a great UI, their documentation is second to none and the SSM would be my main reason for going back to Lectro (if I did). 

Wisy's user interface can be a bit confusing for the newcomer but when you get used to it, it's no big deal.

There are fixed pre-programmed banks but also free ones, so you can tune precisely manually. 

The multi-compander function is sooooo useful. Recently, for a doco, I had to record a speech. Instead of trying to get the sound from the PA, I just checked the frequency of their mic, put my Wisy receiver on HDX and I received their signal without any hicup.

For those who are interested, during a Zoom conference with the french distributor a few weeks ago, he confirmed and showed preliminary pictures of the new miniature transmitters they are working on.

1 hour ago, henrimic said:

Wisy's user interface can be a bit confusing for the newcomer but when you get used to it, it's no big deal.

There are fixed pre-programmed banks but also free ones, so you can tune precisely manually. 

The multi-compander function is sooooo useful. Recently, for a doco, I had to record a speech. Instead of trying to get the sound from the PA, I just checked the frequency of their mic, put my Wisy receiver on HDX and I received their signal without any hicup.

For those who are interested, during a Zoom conference with the french distributor a few weeks ago, he confirmed and showed preliminary pictures of the new miniature transmitters they are working on.

Good news about miniature TX - relative to Lectro's SSM/ Zax's ZMT3 how big / what shape is it? 

21 minutes ago, daniel said:

Good news about miniature TX - relative to Lectro's SSM/ Zax's ZMT3 how big / what shape is it? 

Here is a screenshot of the presentation. The french text says:

Monitor and control Tx and Rx via USB-C or Bluetooth 5 (range more than 300 metres) on Wisycom Manager 2.0 (on a PC)

Among the smallest transmitters in the world. Rounded shape. 
Optional internal recording that can be extracted via waterproof USB-C or Bluetooth. 

48v Phantom power. 

As far as I can see, but not more than you, it seems the form factor is the same as the Sony DWT-B03r

https://pro.sony/en_EE/products/dwx-digital-series-transmitters/dwt-b03r

But this is a very preliminary information, I think they are just in the development phase, nothing to wait before a while.

I generally don’t share rumours, but this was presented online on a free access meeting by the official french distributor, so I think we can trust this information. 

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, henrimic said:

Here is a screenshot of the presentation. The french text says:

Monitor and control Tx and Rx via USB-C or Bluetooth 5 (range more than 300 metres) on Wisycom Manager 2.0 (on a PC)

Among the smallest transmitters in the world. Rounded shape. 
Optional internal recording that can be extracted via waterproof USB-C or Bluetooth. 

48v Phantom power. 

As far as I can see, but not more than you, it seems the form factor is the same as the Sony DWT-B03r

https://pro.sony/en_EE/products/dwx-digital-series-transmitters/dwt-b03r

But this is a very preliminary information, I think they are just in the development phase, nothing to wait before a while.

I generally don’t share rumours, but this was presented online on a free access meeting by the official french distributor, so I think we can trust this information. 

image.jpeg

Looks promising. Obvs wont be holding my breath. Would be great if they would make the BT feature function from a smart phone. The infrared set-up / update thing could even be done from a smart phone with IR emitter.

I heard the rumors that a new generation with remote capabilities was on the way for later this year. If it can do 48 V internally as well as recording it is definitely a system worth considering growing into.

I can see myself saving up for one of these, taking advantage of the flexible compander scheme and using the sennheiser/lectro transmitters I have till I can afford new generation Wisy transmitters. I wonder if the auto coordination on the RX can account for the TX potential frequency range (I hope so, would really make it more attractive), or if they want you to buy full band Wisy TX to fully take advantage of that.

On 5/1/2020 at 11:46 PM, Constantin said:

Really? Not even the SSM?

To be fair I haven't used the SSM but in my opinion it's not so much smaller than an SM and it's less powerful (50 vs 100mW) and the battery won't get you to lunch or it will need to be closely monitored to do so. For me that means it's inevitably going to die during a take at some point and be a problem. So no, I'd say the SSM is not a home-run in terms of being your go-to choice day in and out.

And don't get me started on the LT transmitter! I really don't see the point of that one. LMb sure, but what benefit do you get out of the chunk-zilla LT? Maybe if it were stereo?

5 minutes ago, Derek H said:

So no, I'd say the SSM is not a home-run in terms of being your go-to choice day in and out.

I think the SSM is geared towards plays/theaters.  It fits well under costumes, they aren't worried about high powered transmitters (on broadway you aren't even allowed to broadcast over a certain power level even), and with the rackmount charger for the NP-50 batteries, it is easy to grab a new battery and throw the old one on the charger.

35 minutes ago, Derek H said:

To be fair I haven't used the SSM but in my opinion it's not so much smaller than an SM and it's less powerful (50 vs 100mW) and the battery won't get you to lunch or it will need to be closely monitored to do so. For me that means it's inevitably going to die during a take at some point and be a problem. So no, I'd say the SSM is not a home-run in terms of being your go-to choice day in and out.

And don't get me started on the LT transmitter! I really don't see the point of that one. LMb sure, but what benefit do you get out of the chunk-zilla LT? Maybe if it were stereo?

Sure, I understand your reservations. If I may just comment on a few.

50mW I understand your concern, it's the legal limit in Europe anyway. Sizewise it's definitely a bit smaller than the SMV, but that is only the single battery version, that never got me till lunch, either, especially on 100mW. Unless you's using it with lithium batteries instead of rechargeables, but that's a big NO for me. Not sure how long you work on average till lunch, but we rarely go longer than 6 hours. I can almost always go till lunch, usually I need to change within the first 1-2 hours after lunch. 

Battery monitoring is no more stressful than on any other transmitter, I'd say. And with the wonderful multi-bay chargers Joppe (WrineX here) has been building, it's really come into a great system. 

For me that was a great home-run, and the last time I immediately changed almost my entire range of transmitters to work with these. 

Of course, everyone's priorities are different. 

Agree on the LT, but that's also a low-cost option, so that's no surprise.

4 hours ago, Derek H said:

battery won't get you to lunch

I've used SSM for a few years not and haven't had this experience at all. Honestly, I've gone whole projects without changing them at all during any given day. I run them at 50mW too. Sometimes I'll change them at lunch just to be safe, or towards the end of the day during a break but they consistently get me over 8-9 hours, easily.  

2 minutes ago, LarryF said:

Cheap batteries won't but the Lecto branded ones will.

Best Regards,

Lawrence Fisher

Buy once, cry once.  Not to mention I have a feeling that a lot of people default to searching Amazon for batteries these days and who knows if you're getting anything even remotely authentic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/04/amazon-may-have-a-counterfeit-problem/558482/

17 hours ago, Derek H said:

I've got both, the biggest advantage of the LT over the LMb is you can use Lectro tweedle tones with the LT (but not the LMb).

5 hours ago, Constantin said:

Really! How do you achieve that? I‘ve never been able to run more than 6 hours on a Lectro battery

Not sure really haha. I was a bit skeptical when I first got them about the battery (I work for a small production company we bought 3 SSM's a few years ago), I thought we would have to get a whole bunch of the batteries to last the day. But running them at 50mW consistently and I've had days were the meter only drops one level. Normal days for us are a standard 12 hours, actors are probably mic'd up and on for 9-10 of those hours.