Wisycom MCR54 Teaser

DanieldH

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

https://www.raycom.co.uk/product/wisycom-mcr54-four-channel-slot-in-receiver/

£2,880.00 inc VAT (£2,400.00 exc VAT)
Maaaybe this means it will come in just slightly under US$3K in the USA?

https://www.raycom.co.uk/product/wisycom-mcr54-quad-4-channel-rx-with-4-x-tx-and-base/

£6,360.00 inc VAT (£5,300.00 exc VAT) for a kit. 

The kit deal is amazing. Thats roughly what you pay for a 2 Channel Setup from competitors

1 hour ago, NickFriedrich said:

The kit deal is amazing. Thats roughly what you pay for a 2 Channel Setup from competitors

Hehe saw some of your Lectros going up for sale on FB, figured this might have been the reason.

Wonder when the new TX will come. Heard some rumours of IBC this year, but it almost seems too fast given that the PowerPoint seems very much like in progress. Personally I am not so keen to invest 3.5k in (still very good) transmitters if the one with remote possibility is just around the corner.

Auto coordinate directly to TX will be such a huge time saver. Might save up to the RX just to get my G3 and Sk2000 on steroids till wisy eventually release the next generation TX.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:36 PM, NickFriedrich said:

Almost a 'No-brainer'. £700 / Rx channel. Can be used with most analogue Tx. Remote control for wisy's upcoming (analogue) Tx. Very tidy bags, even for those of us running dinosaurs like a 633  ,'). I have a MPR52 i might sell to help finance MCR54 but on the other hand with 4 channels in 1 basket (MCR54) what are other's thoughts on redundancy? eg. a BU Rx?

3 hours ago, daniel said:

Almost a 'No-brainer'. £700 / Rx channel. Can be used with most analogue Tx. Remote control for wisy's upcoming (analogue) Tx. Very tidy bags, even for those of us running dinosaurs like a 633  ,'). I have a MPR52 i might sell to help finance MCR54 but on the other hand with 4 channels in 1 basket (MCR54) what are other's thoughts on redundancy? eg. a BU Rx?

I feel the same about redundancy. With only one device, you loose all your 4 channels in case of failure. It's always good to have spare stuff. That's the main reason I am also afraid of the Nova. In case of problem, you loose everything. I will defintely keep my MPR52 as this is also an excellent two channels camera hop.

4 hours ago, daniel said:

Maybe keep your MPR52 for backup? Guess the best thing would be a second MCR54 for backup.

Unless I save up and wait for the whole new TX package, I will probably use G3/2000 TX and keep their receivers in a bag for backup incase the wisy fails.

44 minutes ago, henrimic said:

I feel the same about redundancy. With only one device, you loose all your 4 channels in case of failure. It's always good to have spare stuff. That's the main reason I am also afraid of the Nova. In case of problem, you loose everything. I will defintely keep my MPR52 as this is also an excellent two channels camera hop.

This was (and still is), my thinking about MPR52. A small enough BU to keep in the bag, with the potential to be repurposed on other duties. I have EK/SK2000 systems as well that can do this and maybe for IEMs the EK2000 is probably a bit better. For me Deity BP-TRX took a bit of this away though, as it'll be a decent enough and cheap hop, with TC and BU recorder function on top (as well as IEM). Yes, would love an all in 1 Nova but if a BU 2 bay RX module box (to use Zax modular RX with another recorder) means owning 2 Novas or an RX12, it's out of my reach and too bad - I think Zax would gain more users if things weren't so 'All or nothing'. That said, SL2 without aux O/Ps is going down the same road. As the economics of Covid unfold, I think users will prioritise their spending on systems with the greatest versatility and Wisy seem more in there than some others.

The Nova and Zaxcom wireless is not all or nothing.  In fact, nothing backs you up as well. The 4 MRX414 receivers are internally  separate so it is unlikely if not impossible for all 4 channels to go out. If a receiver did need to be swapped it takes about 1 minute. With all of the recordings backed up in the transmitters even RF interference or failure to roll will not cause a loss of audio. The reliability of the system has been amazing so I would not think this would be a consideration for the Zaxcom Nova and its 8 internal MRX414 receivers. 

10 hours ago, glenn said:

The Nova and Zaxcom wireless is not all or nothing.  In fact, nothing backs you up as well. The 4 MRX414 receivers are internally  separate so it is unlikely if not impossible for all 4 channels to go out. If a receiver did need to be swapped it takes about 1 minute. With all of the recordings backed up in the transmitters even RF interference or failure to roll will not cause a loss of audio. The reliability of the system has been amazing so I would not think this would be a consideration for the Zaxcom Nova and its 8 internal MRX414 receivers. 

The Nova seems truly amazing. But in terms of redundancy if the Nova itself goes out, the best backup would be a second nova. If a recorder that uses this new wisy goes out, one can (with the right backplate), pair it with any recorder. Sure the best integration will probably be with SL2 or the new wisy rackmount, but it seems from what we have seen be very capable on its own/or paired with a phone.

In a similair sense, if there was some sort of affordable plate/adapter etc (RX4/8?) to use 1/2 MRX414 with a different recorder, that would encurage some people to go zax that cant afford the whole ecosystem at once, but I also understand if you dont want people rocking 2 MRX with a Zoom f8 and skip Nova, that might also be a risk (short term, I think people will still lust the Nova, atleast as their primary rig).

1 hour ago, Mattias Larsen said:

The Nova seems truly amazing. But in terms of redundancy if the Nova itself goes out, the best backup would be a second nova. If a recorder that uses this new wisy goes out, one can (with the right backplate), pair it with any recorder. Sure the best integration will probably be with SL2 or the new wisy rackmount, but it seems from what we have seen be very capable on its own/or paired with a phone.

In a similair sense, if there was some sort of affordable plate/adapter etc (RX4/8?) to use 1/2 MRX414 with a different recorder, that would encurage some people to go zax that cant afford the whole ecosystem at once, but I also understand if you dont want people rocking 2 MRX with a Zoom f8 and skip Nova, that might also be a risk (short term, I think people will still lust the Nova, atleast as their primary rig).

Well said. 

16 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

This is a good point. As a Zaxcom user (of their recorders, IEM and Camlink) I'm keen to jump onto the Nova, but as I lack any of their wireless I have no transmitters to repurpose. The cost of a Nova plus the slot-in receivers AND a whole bunch of TX is just too much. I'd prefer to buy the wireless side first but that's only practical if Zaxcom release a breakout box that will take a slot in RX that can be wired to my Nomad or Maxx (and no, not an RX12 which is large and heavy). I think they'd sell a whole boatload of gear if they made one. Be more competitive with the Wisy. 

10 hours ago, James Arnold said:

This is a good point. As a Zaxcom user (of their recorders, IEM and Camlink) I'm keen to jump onto the Nova, but as I lack any of their wireless I have no transmitters to repurpose. The cost of a Nova plus the slot-in receivers AND a whole bunch of TX is just too much. I'd prefer to buy the wireless side first but that's only practical if Zaxcom release a breakout box that will take a slot in RX that can be wired to my Nomad or Maxx (and no, not an RX12 which is large and heavy). I think they'd sell a whole boatload of gear if they made one. Be more competitive with the Wisy. 

I guess quite few folks have thought similar (and even said it). But this is something of a trend (by some) and is rendering perfectly good recorders all but obsolete as even BU machines. Eg if you dropped the cash on just 1 Nova with MRX414 installed, you'd have to pack your Nomad / Maxx with their current wireless set-up to have redundancy. Ie. No gradual transition to a newer set-up, just all or noth...

Do MRX414 work fully with RX12?

On 5/10/2020 at 5:16 PM, glenn said:

Glenn, you should consider advertising the fact that the 4 receivers are internally separate and that, were something to fail, that it would like only impact one receiver rather than all four. That's a cool feature and I wasn't aware of it.

Glenn I’m looking forward to Thursday. I really love where you and your team’s heads are at. I have a few questions after spending a week  with a Nova and some ZMT3s. I’m still considering a full Zax setup as I do a lot of reality TV/ Doc work. There are some things on the Nova that a bit confusing to me and I hope I could get them cleared up. 

Would I be able to ask questions on Thursday?