Film Devices

Erob

6 hours ago, DanieldH said:

This might have potential at least for good weather situations.

They've got a cover for if you're in a bit of a drizzle:

95748615_553616165357455_667196852021493

5 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Nicely made but too much stuff mounted too far out from the body for me.

That's true! The further out weight is placed, the greater the strain on your body. However I do like the fold down design for wireless which has info displayed on the side rather than top mounted displays (such as Lectro SR receivers). Perhaps a good design for people who are not wearing their bag more often than they are. 

95498784_3425118957516813_62669339915976
95607551_1640039192815719_47513605839813

I like too the clamp for positioning your phone on the side like that. 

But the negatives I see:
1)Much higher cost than normal
2) Heavier than normal

I won't be getting one in the near future. 
But I applaud any new innovation! 

Hi,

I'm Ken from Film Devices. Glad to see you are talking about my new sound rack/bag. It is lighter than you would think due to the carbon fiber. The large unit weighs 4lbs 6oz with the outer shell and the shoulder strap. Been been pretty busy and haven't weighed the small one yet, probably 3lbs. 

There have been a few comments on the price being a bit high. It is hand made with expensive carbon fiber and aircraft grade aluminum. As a sound person I spend $10-25K for the equipment in my bag. For a premium product that will allow me for the first time to get at all my cables, have everything secure, slide my battery in with one hand, and convert to a desk console, it is worth it. 

You can see a video of it here: 

Also wanted to mention that we have a 1lb 6oz travel boom pole kit in aluminum and carbon fiber. It includes pole, boom pole holder, and a Matthew Mini Grip Head. It fits into carry-on. The pole size is 20" - 66". Perfect for a sit down interview. It is selling for $150. Unfortunately it has been very popular and the carbon fiber version is sold out. We should have stock by July. The aluminum version for $125 is available. 

You can see more items at our website: filmdevices.com 

microphone-travel-boom-pole-kit-carbon-fiber-scale_by-film-devices (1).jpg

Ken, first off congratulations on what looks like a really well thought out idea to product. 

While I’m not in the market for one of your cages at the moment, I can see so many ways how this can work or be customised to work on the cart or insert mode. Really like the rods approach, that I imagine allows adjustment of the size of the sections and pivoting of panels. It kind of reminds of a Well built up camera. This is something I’ve tried to work into my cart but not as eloquently as you sir. 

All the best and cheers Nate. 

6 hours ago, KenMartini said:

Hi,

I'm Ken from Film Devices. Glad to see you are talking about my new sound rack/bag. It is lighter than you would think due to the carbon fiber. The large unit weighs 4lbs 6oz with the outer shell and the shoulder strap. Been been pretty busy and haven't weighed the small one yet, probably 3lbs. 

There have been a few comments on the price being a bit high. It is hand made with expensive carbon fiber and aircraft grade aluminum. As a sound person I spend $10-25K for the equipment in my bag. For a premium product that will allow me for the first time to get at all my cables, have everything secure, slide my battery in with one hand, and convert to a desk console, it is worth it. 

You can see a video of it here: 

Also wanted to mention that we have a 1lb 6oz travel boom pole kit in aluminum and carbon fiber. It includes pole, boom pole holder, and a Matthew Mini Grip Head. It fits into carry-on. The pole size is 20" - 66". Perfect for a sit down interview. It is selling for $150. Unfortunately it has been very popular and the carbon fiber version is sold out. We should have stock by July. The aluminum version for $125 is available. 

You can see more items at our website: filmdevices.com 

microphone-travel-boom-pole-kit-carbon-fiber-scale_by-film-devices (1).jpg

Please consider putting the lock-knob for your boom older on the other side.   On the side you have it the grip head will loosen as the boom sags due to weight, temp or wind.  As every grip knows, if you set a grip head with the lock knob on the right (as you face the set) it will tighten as the rig sags--a much better outcome!

I agree that the picture shows it oriented the “wrong” way, but the holder can be easily removed from the clamp and reoriented the “correct” way, as you suggest.

I have bought stage mic stands from well respected brands that have the boom arm oriented incorrectly, and always change to prevent the slow motion dive of a heavy mic.

I may be wrong but isnt it an optical illusion because of the way the pole is laying “backwards” relative to how it lays in the mount? In the photo it looks correct to me since the cradle portion where the boom pole lays is photo right and the top catch is photo left, putting the wing nut on the right side...?

42 minutes ago, osa said:

I may be wrong but isnt it an optical illusion because of the way the pole is laying “backwards” relative to how it lays in the mount? In the photo it looks correct to me since the cradle portion where the boom pole lays is photo right and the top catch is photo left, putting the wing nut on the right side...?

According to the photo the tightening handle is on the right which is "self tightening". The boom pole holder has the correct orientation. It can be a little confusing not seeing it on a C-stand fully mounted. 

2 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Please consider putting the lock-knob for your boom older on the other side.   On the side you have it the grip head will loosen as the boom sags due to weight, temp or wind.  As every grip knows, if you set a grip head with the lock knob on the right (as you face the set) it will tighten as the rig sags--a much better outcome!

According to the photo the tightening handle is on the right which is "self tightening". The boom pole holder has the correct orientation. It can be a little confusing not seeing it on a C-stand fully mounted.

Rack-N-Bag Harness-02.jpg

20 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Nicely made but too much stuff mounted too far out from the body for me.

When using in the bag mode it is just like any other bag. Everything is operated from the front. You do however have the option of lowering the top flap and swinging out the top tier for a better view of wireless with front controls. I operated it on a harness on several shoots and it was not awkward at all with the top tier open and the wings folded in. In fact it was my best experience so far because I could finally see my front control radios which I have not been able to do with my conventional bags.

I also found that If the weather was good I did not need the outer shell. This made it lighter and gave me full access to everything.Rack-N-Bag Harness-01.jpg

Well done Ken I think this is a brilliant idea and as a cart mixer and not bag mixer I see so many uses incorporating it into a cart so it can be released and used as a breakaway rig. You could have your backup recorder in it and use on a smaller cart or on an insert vehicle. Its not just a bag rig IMO. It looks beautifully made and I think the price is fair as having built and purchased a few carts and rigs etc the best engineered ones always cost more. 

I look forward to purchasing one when they are released.

What size would you recommend for a Nomad/RX12 system?

Thanks

Tony

16 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That's true! The further out weight is placed, the greater the strain on your body. However I do like the fold down design for wireless which has info displayed on the side rather than top mounted displays (such as Lectro SR receivers). Perhaps a good design for people who are not wearing their bag more often than they are. 

But the negatives I see:
2) Heavier than normal

Orca OR-334 6.38lb

Large Rack-N-Bag with outer shell and strap 4.3lbs
Ours is 1/3rd lighter

4 hours ago, KenMartini said:

According to the photo the tightening handle is on the right which is "self tightening". The boom pole holder has the correct orientation. It can be a little confusing not seeing it on a C-stand fully mounted. 

According to the photo the tightening handle is on the right which is "self tightening". The boom pole holder has the correct orientation. It can be a little confusing not seeing it on a C-stand fully mounted.

In that case well done!

I think this is a great design and the price isn’t bad either. I have a custom Protogear bag for my Cantar Mini and that was about $950. If the item works for your need and is well built than I have no problem with paying for it.

ken, have you thought about adding versions that would work with the X3 and X3 Mini?

4 hours ago, ryanpeds said:

I think this is a great design and the price isn’t bad either. I have a custom Protogear bag for my Cantar Mini and that was about $950. If the item works for your need and is well built than I have no problem with paying for it.

ken, have you thought about adding versions that would work with the X3 and X3 Mini?

Ryan, looks like the mini may fit on the top deck, but I would have to figure out where the radios go. I could probably design a series just for them where the unit is on the first tier on a slide out. If I had enough pre-orders I could design 2 sizes and do a short run. If it did not have enough orders it would be too much of a financial gamble. The Aatons were designed for carts, so a challenge to do a work around for a bag. 

4 hours ago, Erob said:

Ken, is one of the bds systems included with the bag? Or are they a separate add on?

If you are referring to the power distro, no. It is an option. We designed the battery sled and Audioroot has customized their distro to match.  We are manufacturing our own cables. We sell it as a package that includes distro, sled with battery cup, and 5 cables. The distro is available in 2 sizes. Go to our website https://filmdevices.com/ to see pricing. We are including the $95 carbon fiber handle as a gift for pre-orders. 

On 5/3/2020 at 12:34 PM, Tony Johnson said:

Well done Ken I think this is a brilliant idea and as a cart mixer and not bag mixer I see so many uses incorporating it into a cart so it can be released and used as a breakaway rig. You could have your backup recorder in it and use on a smaller cart or on an insert vehicle. Its not just a bag rig IMO. It looks beautifully made and I think the price is fair as having built and purchased a few carts and rigs etc the best engineered ones always cost more. 

I look forward to purchasing one when they are released.

What size would you recommend for a Nomad/RX12 system?

Thanks

Tony

Tony,  The medium would fit very snugly. All the specs will soon be on our website. 

P1010830.jpg

On 5/2/2020 at 8:40 PM, IronFilm said:

But the negatives I see:
2) Heavier than normal

Weighs the same as other bags due to the carbon fiber construction. Full specs will soon be available at https://filmdevices.com/