SD MM-1 and walkie talkies

greg sextro

A question for those of you out there using SD MM-1s.

Are you using a walkie talkie for PL (mixer to boom op) as SD suggests?  If so, are you using one provided by production, or do you have your own?  Any makes/models that you could suggest?

I am looking at either buying something from radio shack or buying a pair of used ones from a rental house.  An important issue of course is connectivity on the mixer and boom op's ends.

Thanks for any input,

-Greg-

wow!  so many possibilities.

there are lots of IFB and walkie possibilities out there, including the inexpensive little FRS walkies;  part of the question is if you want to deal with a separate PTT on a walkie.

personally, I use an IFB, like Comtek or Lectro (my preferred choice!); I prefer the continuous XMT..

there are lots of IFB and walkie possibilities out there, including the inexpensive little FRS walkies;  part of the question is if you want to deal with a separate PTT on a walkie.

personally, I use an IFB, like Comtek or Lectro (my preferred choice!); I prefer the continuous XMT..

For a PL to the boomer a PTT is best. No reason to keep an open hot line to them.

Eric

i normally use a phantom power box straight to a lectro transmitter with a comtek or ifb for the boom op.  i got an mm-1 for various reasons - 1st and foremost, i want the boom op to listen off of the best signal.  i really think it makes a difference.  i know it's a little bulky, but it's light enough clipped to a belt.  plus, we can still go hardwired or go wireless.  and for wireless purposes, i really want a decent limiter in there to catch any overs.

i guess the PTT is the route i will take.  most importantly it needs to have some sort of output to plug into the mm-1, and can defeat the speaker on the unit...i'm gonna drop by radio shack soon enough...

" For a PL to the boomer a PTT is best. No reason to keep an open hot line to them. "

yes, of course, but I have a control that I find more convenient than a walkie's PTT switch for opening the slate mic, and also may send a mix to the boomer, depending on the circumstances...

others may find holding the walkie, or a HH PTT walkie mic convenient;  some folks may go crazy wiring up  a walkie...

everyone figures out what works best for themselves!